Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
Afternoon all,

This past weekend, I opted to drive the teener in extreme cold for the first time. I knew the heater wasn't that great, but I didn't realize exactly how bad it sucks.

I checked the blowers..... both work.

I have 2 theories:

1. I'm running too rich, and its prohibiting my engine from getting up to full operating temp. (even after an hour drive, the temp gauge never got past 1/4). It runs fantastic in the summer... but below 45 degrees, it sucks.

2. I removed the rain tray. Consequently, the blower in the engine bay is sucking in EXTREME cold air, (no rain tray to block outside air, or keep in engine bay air) and even though it passes through the heat exchangers, they still aren't enough to warm it up.

Am I on the right track here? Or is there another reason why my car won't get warm, or blow a decent amount of heat?

--Matt
r_towle
ok, first make sure all the connections from the heater boxes to the car are all secure and you have no leaks.

Then, in the drivers compartment you have two hoses the go vertically up to the front trunk...then from there you have two short hoses that connect to the air diverters...

Now, I just did this yesterday...
I removed the hose that runs from the fresh air box to the air diverter and capped BOTH the fresh air box and the diverter with rattle spray can lids...they fits perfectly.

This eliminates the fresh air leaks that are part of the 30 year old system.

The last thing to check is that you heater lever between the seats is working and it it kicking the aux. booster fan on in the engine bay...just turn the key to the run position...pull up the lever all the way...you will hear the fan...if not,,,there is an electrical connection at the base of the lever that needs to be cleaned up.

It will be wuite warm if you get it all set up right.

The flapper valves need to be properlay adjusted also.

Rich
SLITS
Heaters don't suck.....they BLOW!
JerryP
nice....this is what I need also. I have the heat part but no blowing. Blower works when top lever is pushed all the way to the right....but no heat.

Dumb question...is that electrical connection accessable from the top(inside the cabin)?
SLITS
Allllzo....the krauts, in their infinite wisdom, put two flappers on the outlet ends of the impeller housing. These were to prevent lol2.gif backflow of air from the engine compartment heater blower. If these do not open, there will be no flow from the engine impeller fan.

Jerry...the three speed fresh air fan has nothing to do with heat. The blower in the engine compartment is for that and activated by the handle between the seats.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (JerryP @ Dec 5 2005, 01:59 PM)
nice....this is what I need also. I have the heat part but no blowing. Blower works when top lever is pushed all the way to the right....but no heat.

Dumb question...is that electrical connection accessable from the top(inside the cabin)?

Wrong blower. Lift the lever aft of the shift lever and make sure the heatrer blower, the one in the engine compartment, works. The other one basically moves outside air, not heated air. The Cap'n
r_towle
ok,
The blower that comes on when the dash board lever is pushed to the right is the fresh air blower...

You dont want that to blow in the cold air...so leave the top lever all the way to the left and forget about it till summer...

The blower you are listening for is in the engine bay...

It is connected to either one or both of the heater boxes just below the heads through the engine tin.

The blower is located close to the front of the motor, and near the drivers side (there are several places, based upon the year)

Make sure if is it only connected to one side, that you have only one outlet on the blower and that the passenger side tube is capped off at the engine tin with the rubber cap.

This engine bay fan is activated by the lever BETWEEN the seats, not on the dash.

You pull the lever all the way up, key in run position, the fan will start...if you dont hear it..take out the lever between the seats and clean the electrical connection.

Rich
Spoke
When I purchased my car, the heat flappers that are controlled by the lever by the gear shift were not on the car. So for the first winter, I just got some 2 1/2 inch PVC pipes and elbows from Home Depot and made a direct connection from the heat exchangers to the tubes in the longs giving constant heat.

OK for winter and now I have working flappers to control the heat. With either the straight pipe method or working flappers, you should be able to warm the cabin even in single digit weather. As others have said, check for leaks in the entire heat path.

Spoke
Cap'n Krusty
More apt to be the relay or the blower itself than the switch. The Cap'n
JerryP
aahhhh.....didn't know I had 2 blowers....must be my lucky day. Thanks guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.