Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What prevents you from saying "#$@%-it "
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mueller
Not sure if its the weather, lack of progress, knowing my 914 will never be how I really want it or my boarder-line A.D.D. wacko.gif

But it's been really, really hard not just post an ad on here or on craigslist and sell it all off......I think a lot of it has to do with me having so much extra cr@p such as about 10 extra pairs of a-arms screwy.gif as well as most people have all the other "extras" laying around collecting dust and filling up boxes.

I know I'd take a hit money wise on dumping it all off, but what the heck, it's not like my 914 is going to go up in value smash.gif

Aaron Cox
i hit that point many times....

then i take a long drive......
Dr. Roger
one word.

Fahrvergnügen.

biggrin.gif
Andyrew
feel better now?

Me? I want to finish my 914. drive it for 2 years, store it in a vault, finish college, get married, have a kid, then when they are 5, bring the car out, and tinker.

While having other cars to tinker with. but still having the "ultimate street racer"

I rather dont want to get rid of my car.....
bondo
For me, I just say "At least I'm not Mueller!", heave a sigh of relief, and move on. biggrin.gif

Seriously though... Just do a crap purge. Sell or give away parts you will never use. Get all the stuff you actually may need organized, and you will feel much better. I just did this and already need to do it again. smile.gif
Howard
What prevents you from saying "#$@%-it ", and selling your 914(s) and walking away

1. Never figured out how to pronounce it.

2. Aaron is right. Drive it.

3. Or put it away for a few days.
lapuwali
It's harder still when the car can't be driven. I have thought a few times about selling this one to buy one that someone else has gotten into a better state already, like at least it's all one color. I know I'd get another one even if I did sell this one, and I know I'd lose more money on the deal, so I end up keeping it.

r_towle
Mike, dont give up.
One Autocross is all it will take, or one mountain road..

Get someone to let you drive a well prepared 2.0 liter and you will smile and keep working...

Rich
olav

I'll take you for a ride in my car Mike and then I'll add the roller bearings and take you for another ride so we can see the difference.

smilie_pokal.gif
nine14cats
Hi Mike,

I'd have to say at this point I'm pretty much in the same boat as you as far as just wanted to clean up the mess of parts I have for my 914's and get on with life. As you know, I gave up on tracking a 914 anytime soon (maybe forever) and will just assemble The Beast and see if someone wants it for a good price.

JLO may not go as easy, but at this point, probably (after I finish building her).

It probably depends on which way life is taking you at that point in time. Hang in there.

Bill P.
GTeener
Been there a few times. Usually a good day driving her changes my mind...until something else breaks and then I think of selling her again wink.gif

The I realize how much money is already invested and what will be lost if I sell her....like my affiliation with the club and fine members. And well, I guess I'm just not ready to sacrifice all that yet.

Ultimately it must be the masochist is me that keeps me holding on headbang.gif

There are worse addictions biggrin.gif
watsonrx13
I have now driven my car for the first time in 3 years. I bought the car with it drivable, but issues with the engine. Before I bought the car, I had a 'shop' built so that I could work on it. I also purchased 2 other parts cars. I fiddled with the parts cars, to get experience, then worked on the good one.

The way that I was able to continue with the project was by working on small manageable sections. I also had an arrangement with my wife, she would get one weekend day and we would do anything she wanted. I got the other day to work on the car. Fortunately for me, I am able to set my own work hours. I get up at 4:30 am and I'm at work by 6. I leave by 2 pm and several times a week I'll drop by the shop and do something. If you can list everything you want to do to the car, prioritize it. Then work on it a little at a time. Don't look at the big picture, but the small ones. Keep moving forward. If you run into something you can't/won't do, call for help here.

I still have the outside of the car to paint, but at least it is drivable and I feel it is in great shape, suspension/chassis/etc.

Hope this helps....hang in there.....

-- Roib
fiid
I've been to the brink. I'm glad noone wanted to buy it because I would have sold it.

When the boost kicks in - it's just ..... spectacular. When I turn in to a corner and the car stays dead flat and just grips, it's magic. The feel of bearings that you designed ironing out every bump in the freeway.... awesome.

We were just outside letting the thing idle so I could show a couple of coworkers. Just gives me a shit-eating grin every time. Listening to the megasquirt tweaking the idle settings.

And last but not least - just knowing that there is a shed-load of torque and HP just sitting there waiting for my fingers and my laptop to unleash them.

smilie_pokal.gif

Get it running first, then decide.

Allan
I'm at that point right now as well. When I figure out why I shouldn't sell it and move on I'll send you a pm...
Toast
Not driving it. dry.gif
Rand
What prevents you from saying "#$@%-it ", and selling your 914(s) and walking away

Simple. It's my favorite car and I enjoy working on it as much as any other hobby. Otherwise it would be a complete waste of my time.
Aaron Cox
im suffering from withdrawls....

no car for the last month. no car for the next month id guess (time to reassemble???)

but its all about the journey mike.... the end result makes you say "wow. look at what i did!. X years and Xponential dollars and its done"

"Crap.....an oil leak dry.gif " laugh.gif
markb
I sent my car to the body shop in July, and have been driving the POS black car since then. I now appreciate how well the blue car was running, how well it handled, etc. When it comes back I still have to clean up all the dirty parts to put them back on before I can drive it. By the time it's in running condition again, I'll appreciate it that much more.
I've been there, I had to give up on the Dad's car project, due to many factors, but mostly because the longer it sits unprotected from the elements, the rustier it gets. And there's no way I can get it to the shop in the forseeablee future.

Personal Opinion:
Simplify what you're doing with the injection (go to stock if you have to). Get it running. Drive the pi$$ out of it. THEN start the upgrades again. Once you can drive it around & enjoy it, things will look better. Either that or put it under a tarp & walk away for a few months. The bug will get you back to working on it in no time. Just my .02.
tat2dphreak
take some time off, you can get frustrated if you have any type of deadlines... that's the way I am anyway...
SLITS
I'm to lazy to inventory the shit and sell it................
Dave Bell
My past practice was to keep one car drivable and then have another one to tinker on... best of both worlds since a basic 914 is really not that expensive... best of both worlds... always have one to drive and one to dream/tinker with.... My wife fixed that when she crushed the second car with our truck... at least she did not get the good one.... my current job assignement keeps me way to busy... thinking of giving it up in 6 months to a year to get back some free time... for stuff like upfixing the 914.

Yea and I have stacks of stuff too.... I think I am down to 2 sets of trailing arms having throne some away.

I did a major purge about 4 months ago when a neighbor rented the biggest roll-off bin available... Andy S. came by while I was cutting up a roller in the driveway... which mostly went in to the bin.

So my advice to Mike... (1) Do a parts purge... (2) build, buy, steal, obtain a 914 that you can drive and not modify any more... one you can enjoy... get a second car that you can tinker on... or not tinker on and not feel frustrated since you still have one you can drive.... If it doesn't fit in the garage... nice excuse to buy one of those nice lift systems that should easily be able to stack up 2 914's in a single garage space. If it gets too expensive... just go help someone else tinker on their car... very low cost intertainment.... 2 weekends ago I was at Andy's house to install 3 of his 4 fiberglass flares... very intertaining... didn't cost me a thing.

- Dave
VegasRacer
Mike - If you are looking for logic and reason, I have none to offer. It is passion and emotion that insures I will always have a 914. It is one of those "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand" things. You know what I mean. I know you do.

Now quit with this crazy talk and get back to work. driving.gif
If you need a serious fix, have some one take you for a ride in their 914.
McMark
Mike, you and I are so similar it's kinda weird sometimes. We both tend to over think things which ends up leading to bigger and bigger projects. For me, and I think for you too, it's time to get back to basics. It's time to get rid of all the non-essentials and focus on the car. Imagine a clear uncluttered garage with just one single project to work on. It's very overwhelming to go out into a garage to work on something and subconsciously you're thinking about the ten other projects that aren't getting finished. It's a real buzz-kill. Call me if you need to vent. biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Two words, This club.
Lou W
The last time I drove my car was 13 years ago, I took it apart 11 years ago and now its been on jackstands for the last 3 years. I'd feel real guilty taking a perfectly good car apart and and selling it as a basket case or in pieces. So... whenever I want to give up, I close the garage door or put a cover on it and just give it a break. Following the progress of some of the members is a true inspiration for me to get back to work on it. Buying parts here and there that I'll need keeps me motivated to finish the job too. smile.gif
Spoke
After having relatively new cars for the last 15 years, I forgot the joy and sense of accomplishment of actually working on a car. Today's cars with computer management and ABS and such really can't be worked on without a computer. I try to work on things such that I can keep the car on the road as much as possible.

I'm also in love with the fact that driving the 914 is such a blast. It is my daily driver when it doesn't rain or snow. I've waited so long to buy a sports car that I couldn't imagine not having a sports car to drive. As my neighbor said, "looks like you're driving your mid-life crisis". Yep, and having a good time at it.

The only things I need now for the 914 is a new engine (1.7L from 1971 is a turd now) and solid longs (just ordered Engman's inner long kit) welder.gif

Spoke
Bruce Allert
BIN THERE... DID T H A T

However, I do miss the feel of how it drove.

But the Miata starts everytime & keeps on tick'n beer.gif

BWAAAAAHHHAAHAAHAA av-943.gif

........b
Mueller
QUOTE (Bruce Allert @ Dec 5 2005, 03:52 PM)

........b

don't tell anyone but I test drove (for the 2nd time in a month) a new RX-5 (Miata) last Wednesday ohmy.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 5 2005, 05:57 PM)
Mike, you and I are so similar it's kinda weird sometimes. We both tend to over think things which ends up leading to bigger and bigger projects. For me, and I think for you too, it's time to get back to basics. It's time to get rid of all the non-essentials and focus on the car. Imagine a clear uncluttered garage with just one single project to work on. It's very overwhelming to go out into a garage to work on something and subconsciously you're thinking about the ten other projects that aren't getting finished. It's a real buzz-kill. Call me if you need to vent. biggrin.gif

That make's three of us...The Brothers Grim

biggrin.gif
black73
I was at that point about a year ago. But a few more $$$ and a few more busted knuckles, and I was good to go. Don't give up it will all work out in the end.
Bleyseng
Its almost been a year since I drove mine and I have been pretty frustrated at times.
I won't give up as so far nothing I have driven is a fun as the 914. Shoot, Blair even has one sitting in the yard now......I don't think the neighbors have seen it yet.

Shit Mike, you just miss the crazy adventures with Bradholio! finger.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 5 2005, 02:02 PM)
post an ad on here or on craigslist and sell it all off......

hey, cool! boldblue.gif
i need the long wing-screw that holds down the 1.7L air cleaner and a brain-mounting-bracket ...

biggrin.gif Andy
Joe Ricard
Mike I got just the thing to fix you up.
Our next Autocross is 18 December. You get down here and you can drive the Red Neck Racer. That should fix you and motivate you to GET YOUR CAR DONE.
vortrex
QUOTE (Bruce Allert @ Dec 5 2005, 02:52 PM)
BIN THERE... DID T H A T

........b

I'm with bruce. you know there are other cars out there that handle better than a 914 (and can pass a mini van on the highway when needed). biggrin.gif

I actually had great luck with my 914 and the MANY miles I put on it. the 1-2 times it gave me problems though were not fun, especially when it was my only car. right now, I just have no interest in working/staring at a car. I would rather turn the key and be off whenever I want without the worry of a break down.

and at the rate of 914 prices, I'm not so sure I will have another...
tommy914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 5 2005, 04:57 PM)
don't tell anyone but I test drove (for the 2nd time in a month) a new RX-5 (Miata) last Wednesday  :o

If you are looking at new Miatas, at least take a look at a good used Boxster. Boxster is more like the 914, but with all modern stuff.

ws91420
There are two things that keep me going.

The fact that when I'm done I will have something that not everybody will and I did most
of it myself.

And the fact that my Dad who passed away in 1991 gave me the knowledge and the
passion to work on a car for myself.
ArtechnikA
donno.

sold it.

walked away.
VaccaRabite
Walk away? Shoot, I just started here!

Sometimes I walk in and see the things that ihave to do and feel a little overwhelmed, but I still have the youthfull exuberance about it.

Plus, I like mechanical hobbies, so long as I can keep the spending in check.
Zach
J P Stein
I'm luckier than some, I think.

The 914 is in the shop & if it pisses me off, I don't have to stumble over it all the time. It's been pretty grim on a few occasions. Up on blocks for nearly a year when I was doing the conversion....in my garage, pre shop... & when I was painting it last year come to mind. My family laughs at me when I have 3-4 projects in the air at once, but they seem to forget I do (eventually) get em' done. As I've said before, being stubborn helps.
The 914 is the same.

The luck part is when I fix the car( tho it ain't broke), it stays fixed till it ain't broke again . wacko.gif It's a seasonal thing, the leaves fall off the trees & the shit box goes up on blocks. The leaves come out in the spring & so does the car. DIY is fun, but some reward is required....for me at least.
Kargeek
I’ve asked this question many times over the 26 years I’ve owned my car. First during the six years I had it apart and then over the seventeen years I’ve had the car completed. During the last five values are finally catching up so, I don’t have that reason anymore. Having a car that you can tinker with, enjoying the information that other club members are sharing with their cars, driving something unique (whether it’s a daily driver or a weekend car) is something really special. Look at the big picture in that it’s only a hobby, never think that it’s an investment or that your soul is tied to the car and just have some fun with it. I know lot’s of guys that buy-sell car after car, never taking things too seriously and just have a good time with the hobby. ( wish I could be that that but, cars are part of my family) If you get bored with the Porsche thing find another brand- same emotional issues are going on with XYZ brand enthusiast.

Set you plan for what you want and finish the car to the plan’s expectations and just have fun.
Jeroen
Face it... if it makes sense, it's no fun

I will succeed (or die trying biggrin.gif)
Robert21
unsure.gif unsure.gif When i think of sell my car . i just think about the money i have in the car.
Then i think of putting it for up for sale, You guys looking at it and saying this is wrong ,that is wrong.
And then offer $4000. I didn't get into this car to make money. just to have fun.
I could buy a new porsche but thats no fun i like old cars they have a soul .
I'm going to drive this car even with all the problems until i die
just my thinking.

Robert21
qa1142
Never do bigger project than you can finish during the cold ass winter here dry.gif

And drive the shit out of it durring summer clap.gif
scotty b
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Dec 5 2005, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 5 2005, 05:57 PM)
Mike, you and I are so similar it's kinda weird sometimes.  We both tend to over think things which ends up leading to bigger and bigger projects.  For me, and I think for you too, it's time to get back to basics.  It's time to get rid of all the non-essentials and focus on the car.  Imagine a clear uncluttered garage with just one single project to work on.  It's very overwhelming to go out into a garage to work on something and subconsciously you're thinking about the ten other projects that aren't getting finished.  It's a real buzz-kill.  Call me if you need to vent.  :D

That make's three of us...The Brothers Grim

biggrin.gif

sad.gif 4. I've currently got my dads 914, my 944 a 36 h.p. VW engine build + 3 customers cars at werk. Haven't touched the 914 in about 3 weeks, prior to that it was about 4 months. Haven't touched the 944 in 2 weeks, prior to that it was 2 months. VW engine is my Sunday project for 3 weeks now, customers cars are the only ones that get any werk done huh.gif
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (vortrex @ Dec 5 2005, 04:11 PM)
QUOTE (Bruce Allert @ Dec 5 2005, 02:52 PM)
BIN THERE... DID T H A T

But the Miata starts everytime & keeps on tick'n  :beer1:

BWAAAAAHHHAAHAAHAA  :rotfl:

........b

I'm with bruce. you know there are other cars out there that handle better than a 914 (and can pass a mini van on the highway when needed). biggrin.gif

I actually had great luck with my 914 and the MANY miles I put on it. the 1-2 times it gave me problems though were not fun, especially when it was my only car. right now, I just have no interest in working/staring at a car. I would rather turn the key and be off whenever I want without the worry of a break down.

and at the rate of 914 prices, I'm not so sure I will have another...

QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 5 2005, 04:57 PM)
don't tell anyone but I test drove (for the 2nd time in a month) a new RX-5 (Miata) last Wednesday ohmy.gif

If ya take all the $$$ spent on our 914's and put it toward a $4000 low mile Miata, add headers ($400), a cold air intake ($200), a 2 1/4" exhaust system with a Magnaflow or Borla muffler ($300) there's a $4900 140+ hp jackrabbit that has the capability to run 250,000+ miles if you take care of the engine properly. Now, add a DIY bolt on kit Jackson Racing supercharger ($2300) & that'll boost the hp 40%. There ya got a 200+ hp car for a lot less than what I or most others have put into our 914's.

But, before I'm gonna add that supercharger I'm goin for the adjustable Koni/ shocks & springs package ($500). Then I'll be right back "ON RAILS" driving.gif

Think about it... $8000. I had alot more in the 914.
I admit I had mega fun with it until the last 6 months and it's last engine.

Truthfully, I'll probably get another 914.... later, but not now beer.gif

I'll always love the 914 wub.gif

.......b
Leo Imperial
#$@%-it

#$@%-it

#$@%-it

And that is all I have to say for now!!!
porsha916
I feel the same way once in a while wacko.gif , But then I come to my senses, I think the 914 is the best production sports car ever built!!! smilie_pokal.gif 914's are not to expensive, and you can have any level of performance you want. You can have a v8 rocket, a 1.7L daily driver, classic car you drive to shows, a radical custom car, a racer or something in between!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Get a Driver and then build your dream car!!
I have found I enjoy helping other fix there cars! I have more projects than I could ever finish but I guess I like it that way or I would do something about it!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
boxstr
Mike go out and buy a Boxster and a Go Kart. Then quit bitchin. wink.gif
CCLINFUNDRIVE
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (boxstr @ Dec 5 2005, 09:30 PM)
Mike go out and buy a Boxster and a Go Kart. Then quit bitchin. wink.gif
CCLINFUNDRIVE

agree.gif

......b
LvSteveH
Think of it this way, the more you put into something, the more you will get out of it. You will have such an overwhelming appreciation for having a running car that it will make it all worth while. It will also make you think twice about being too ambitious with projects….. I’ve learned that one recently. I have $30k+ worth of 914 crap, and am thrilled to death to be flogging 70hp around. I agree that the best approach is to have two 914’s, one in project mode, one in driver mode, at all times. What fun would life be if we didn’t have something to bitch about, you’ve got 4,000 other people in the club to commiserate with…….. priceless.

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.