Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear trunk gap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sj914
I'm new to this forum, but not new to 914's I had one back in about 6 years ago and I just recently acquired another one this time a 74. From what I have seen on different 914's is the rear trunk on some of them have big gaps on the sides and some have really tight gaps. Is this because of the factory and how they put them together or is this due to age and/or signs that the car was damaged and repaired.

Also this is OT: What is the cutoff year for a car being exempt from smog in California, from what I have read in the posts it includes the '74 year also. But I could be wrong.
seanery
Welcome!!

Your 74 is good for smog now! boldblue.gif

I haven't had that problem with the trunk, but I've seen it lots before.
Others will speak up about it, but it's probably the rollers. They fail commonly.

There is a kit sold by one of our members that replaces the rollers with pnumatic struts.

Good luck with the car!
Post some pics in the members pictures thread at the top of page 1!
Jeffs9146
I had that trunk gap problem on my 74 and it turned out to be the trunk hinge point was cracking and the tension bars were pushing it out of wack! I repaired the hinge point and the trunk lined up well.

Jeff

PS: I didn't have to smog my 74!
SirAndy
adjustment adjustment adjustment

car could be hit in the back too. hinge-brackets like to brake off, the factory spot welds were too weak. they sometimes bent before they brake (ask me how i know). broken rollers ...

Andy
sj914
I just looked at my rollers and to my surprise, I don't have rollers anymore. The torsion springs were riding on the roller axles. I'm going to have to get some new hinges or get the struts to replace the torsion springs because the torsion springs have been wearing down the roller axles.
seanery
Boxstr (Craig Laughlin) of CAMP914 sells the trunk lift kits.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.