Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AX trailer project begins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Since we have snow and below freezing temps its offically time to start my AX trailer project. This is a picture of Robert Murphy's setup I really like. If anyone knows Robert could you please have him email me at gjshaffer2002 AT yahoo.com I have just a few questions for him. Last I know Robert was in the Tulsa area.
GaroldShaffer
close up
GaroldShaffer
I bought my trailer kit from harbor freight and put it together over the weekend. I am now looking for a 1 1/4" receiver that looks like the picture below. The only size I have found is 2" which I think is a little overkill for such a small trailer but if I can't a 1 /14" then I will go with a 2" one, maybe. dry.gif I have checked on line and with to local hitch places here and they have seen them before but were no help on where to order one from mad.gif
bryanc
If you can weld, you can get Receiver hitch square tubing from your local steel supply store. They have it here in Phoenix at Capitol Metals.

GaroldShaffer
I'm looking at a flip down style license plate bracket like like this one so there would be no need to remove the plate everytime I want to use the trailer.

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (bryanc @ Dec 5 2005, 01:37 PM)
If you can weld, you can get Receiver hitch square tubing from your local steel supply store. They have it here in Phoenix at Capitol Metals.

yep, that's what I did today. I'm not a welder (yet wink.gif ) but if I can't find what I'm looking for then I will be asking for some help welding.
GaroldShaffer
Taking some vacation time this week. Decided to finish the wiring of the AX trailer and rig up away to carry the tires. I Still need to get a rubber maid tuff box yet paint the plywood but the trailer will be complete tomorrow.

GaroldShaffer
I use 2 1/2 PVC to make cradle to support the my tires. For now the PVC is held in place with ty-wraps, but I will drill a few holes and mount them with bolts.
jhadler
Garold, what wheels are those? Size? Weight? They look nice...

-Josh2
GaroldShaffer
They are 5 1/2 x 15 Keizer Aluminum rims. The rims weight in just above 9 lbs each smilie_pokal.gif
jhadler
Only 5-1/2" Why so narrow? Same offset as stock?

Just currious. In SP you're allowed any wheel width....

-Josh2
GaroldShaffer
Because that's the way they the PO had them made. I got a somkin' deal on them and couldn't pass them up. boldblue.gif
GWN7
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Dec 5 2005, 01:29 PM)
I bought my trailer kit from harbor freight and put it together over the weekend. I am now looking for a 1 1/4" receiver that looks like the picture below. The only size I have found is 2" which I think is a little overkill for such a small trailer but if I can't a 1 /14" then I will go with a 2" one, maybe. dry.gif I have checked on line and with to local hitch places here and they have seen them before but were no help on where to order one from mad.gif

looks easy enough to weld it yourself. Flat bar stock for the top and two gussets on the sides. Piece of thick wall tube for the receiver head and a small piece of tube to strengthen the edge.
VegasRacer
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Dec 28 2005, 02:10 PM)
I Still need to get a rubber maid tuff box.

I was looking for a similar box recently.
The Wal-Mart SuperCenter has some nice big tool boxes.

(I can't believe I just typed that. I sound like such a hick.) wacko.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Dec 29 2005, 04:11 AM)

agree.gif poke.gif
JoeSharp

Just because you live in a big city dosen't mean your not.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
spare time toys
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Dec 29 2005, 06:11 AM)
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Dec 28 2005, 02:10 PM)
I Still need to get a rubber maid tuff box.

I was looking for a similar box recently.
The Wal-Mart SuperCenter has some nice big tool boxes.

Also look at tractor supply thats where I got my big truck box at. It cost about half as much as if I went across the street to Home Depot.
VegasRacer
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Dec 29 2005, 09:21 AM)
(I can't believe I just typed that. I sound like such a hick.)  :wacko:

Just because you live in a big city dosen't mean your not.

If you knew what I used instead of the plastic one form Wal-Mart or nice diamond plate, you would see what a CSOB I really am.
spare time toys
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Dec 29 2005, 09:24 PM)

If you knew what I used instead of the plastic one form Wal-Mart or nice diamond plate, you would see what a CSOB I really am.

DO tell cool_shades.gif
VegasRacer
It is an old wood kids toy box that I found at a swap meet for 5 bucks. Add another 5 for hardware and paint. It is the perfect size to hold my floor jack, plus a bunch of other crap.
Aaron Cox
huh.gif laugh.gif
914forme
John More pictures of the car trailer please, I think I'm in love wub.gif

BTW, nice auto-x tire trailer getting ready to do the same thing in about 2 months.

jhadler
Hey John,

I think the wooden chest is -great-! Nice trailer too. How much does it weigh? The trailer that is...

-Josh2
J P Stein
Hay, my trailer......but cleaner and I have a winch where you have that fancy box.
I'll call the rules committe and have your CSOB certificate renewed for another year laugh.gif
96tonkaman
hi, this is Murphy. I just found out about the club and seen my 914 and trailor. any questions?

JoeSharp
Hi Murphy. Welcome to the Garage. Post pictures of your Hitch instalation please.
VegasRacer
QUOTE (914forme @ Dec 30 2005, 08:22 AM)
John More pictures of the car trailer please, I think I'm in love  :wub: .

Since you asked so nicely . . . . . . . . I have added a few trailer shots to my Blog.

How much does it weigh?

985 lbs.

Hi Murphy. Welcome to the Garage. Post pictures of your Hitch instalation please.

agree.gif Yeah. Please tell us about your set-up Murphy.
SteveSr
Garold,I thought you were hauling your CAR on a trailer???? confused24.gif
My son hauls his Autoxing stuff on the exact same set up as you have.Behind his.....dare I say it ohmy.gif Miata ar15.gif ar15.gif

SteveSr
GaroldShaffer
My car is it Brad Mayeur' s shop having some welder.gif done (passenger side seat mounts, front sway bar reinforcement, long kit) I asked them to weld up my hitch. aktion035.gif

Inside shot.
GaroldShaffer
behind the bumper clap56.gif
GaroldShaffer
one more biggrin.gif these will be where I can screw in two tow eyes and hookup my safety chains.
seanery
clap56.gif dude, new paint looks good on your car! Hitch looks clean, too! clap56.gif clap56.gif
GaroldShaffer
This will all hide behind the bumper and will be covered by my plate so you will never know it is there.

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (seanery @ Jan 24 2006, 06:43 PM)
clap56.gif dude, new paint looks good on your car! Hitch looks clean, too! clap56.gif clap56.gif

agree.gif next winter hopefully the whole car gets painted L20E boldblue.gif
GaroldShaffer
A few more pictures with the bumper on the car. It is still at Brad's corner balancing and such.

GaroldShaffer
aktion035.gif

nynone4
VERY slick Garold! Can't wait to see pics of it with thr trailer and race tires all hooked up!

smilie_pokal.gif
STL914
That looks so sweet Garold!

Did you do most of the fab work or did Brad give you a hand with that? How did you cut the bumper so the hitch and the long hex nuts would fit like they do?
messix
you need a plate bracket from a '68-74 nova or montycarlo, chevelle. allows plate to hinge /flip down.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (STL914 @ Jan 28 2006, 02:53 PM)
That looks so sweet Garold!

Did you do most of the fab work or did Brad give you a hand with that? How did you cut the bumper so the hitch and the long hex nuts would fit like they do?

Brad & Michael did the bumper cutting and welder.gif I wish I could take credit for any of this but I can't. Not even my idea for a trailer hitch, seen a picture of Robert Murphy's setup and liked it. Look HERE for that thread.
JoeSharp
A/X Trailer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.