Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rust in a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
magaoidh
I am considering buying a 914 that has rust in two areas.1;The rear boot,where the vertical rear panel attaches to the boot floor.The weld has broken away for a length of six inches due to rust.2;The right front fender,in front of the door, near the door post.There is a series of rust bubbles in the paint work, externally, going in a line up to near the windscreen. Can anyone advise as to whether these two areas pose a structural problem or are they common superficial problems only.I have seen these areas affected on other 914s. Geoff
d914
the main stuctual area that is usally in jepordy is the passenger side long. drop the rocker panel and or look under the battery tray. Battery acid and water damage can break the car in half.
SirAndy
QUOTE (magaoidh @ Dec 5 2005, 07:20 PM)
Can anyone advise as to whether these two areas pose a structural problem or are they common superficial problems only.

usually, there is no "superficial" rust on 914s ...

if it bubbles on the outside, it's because it's rusted away on the backside.

- inspect the pass. side engine comp. under the battery tray, where the long meets the firewall (aka "The Hellhole") ...
- remover rocker covers on both sides and inspect the longs.
- bring a screwdriver to poke as people tend to cover rust with undecoating.
- move both seats forward and lift up the carpet and inspect the floorboard behind the seats.

the rear trunk floor can be repaired, a rusted through long is a completely different story ...

and lastly, shoot some pics and post them here!
cool_shades.gif Andy
r_towle
I think you may have found one of the non galvinized bodies...

These cars are well known for never rusting and they seem to last forever...

Rich
magaoidh
hey rich, what brand do you smoke!
pfierb
QUOTE (r_towle @ Dec 5 2005, 10:40 PM)
I think you may have found one of the non galvinized bodies...

These cars are well known for never rusting and they seem to last forever...

Rich

I think he said 914 not 944 or I could be wrong... never could read very well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.