Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a little help identifying calipers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cobra94563
I got these with the 914 and the seller say he was told they were 911...
The bolt spacing looks like 3.5". 2 piston...but the rotor spacing is 3/4" or less, and I'm not sure would fit a vented rotor. also there is an "ate" stamped, but also if I'm not mistakedn, a VW logo(?)

Can anyone say what these are or if they are NOT 911 calipers?
(I also got the matching rear, if that might help.) unsure.gif Thanks!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Eric_Shea
Hard to tell lol3.gif

(let us know when the links are fixed)

Sounds like your 3.5" measurement may not be center to center. The Ate/VW clue says std 914 fronts.
cobra94563
Sorry! link fixed ..i think rolleyes.gif
Eric_Shea
I guess that answers the 3.5" spacing question doesn't it? laugh.gif

I would guess some type of Audi caliper. This may be the precurser to the standard A-Caliper. Put some spacers in it and I'd be willing to bet that's pretty close to an A...

I've seen Mercedes calipers that are similar and they were basically A-Calipers.

Can you measure the pads?
Eric_Shea
or if they are NOT 911 calipers?

Forgot... those are not 911 calipers.
sixnotfour
912E confused24.gif
MattR
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Dec 5 2005, 09:14 PM)
912E confused24.gif

912E is a 911 with a 2.0 type 4. Same front suspension, rear suspension, brakes, body, interior, etc.
cobra94563
Thanks - Eric, Jeff and Matt..

So basically, I need to space them to use vented rotors dry.gif
(which is what I'm shooting for...)

I guess I'll look for newer A calipers... smash.gif

cobra94563
What was strange to me was early 911 have M calipers with a vented rotor but
these 912's are 3.5in (like the later A and S calipers) and fit only solid rotors..(?)
blink.gif
davep
They look a lot like van calipers. Are the mounting bolt holes much larger than the 914 bolts. The van calipers are absolutely massive compared to the 914/4 calipers.
cobra94563
You mean like VW van?
I'll have to put it side-by-side to the 914's to tell...
But supposely they came with these matching rear calipers, which are a little smaller but would infer the car had 4 disc brakes. I don't know if the vw van had disc/drum setup (?)

I'll take a look at the bolt sizing.
Eric_Shea
They're not 912 calipers. I doubt you would find any way to mount them. If you did (found a 911S or SC/Carrera front suspension) it would be costly to custom make a set of spacers.

Dave's probably got the right answer... but, they might be some odd Audi set confused24.gif

Find out what they are and sell them on Samba to fund the brakes you need.
davep
We know they are not 911 or 912 calipers because the non-vented calipers for those cars have 3" bolt spacing. The VW van did have 3.5" bolt spacing and the mounting bolts are bigger than those used by Porsche. Notice the step in the bolt hole for a shoulder bolt. I haven't had time to drive to the shop to photo the van calipers I have. I'd say you have no hope of putting these on a 914 even with 911S struts.
cobra94563
Guess even if it was possible, it would be kind of a waste of effort to change the strut, hubs and not get the vented rotors.

Any one have a line on a cheap 911 suspension? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.