Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm officially done with school
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
After two years of grueling work, I am done with watchmaking school. The last three days have been final exams. I find out next week if I get a certificate (if I passed the finals). Having a WOSTEP certificate in watchmaking is like having a PhD from MIT. I enjoyed school, but it was fucking hard. The first year was spent machining, and making small components by hand on a milling machine and lathe. The smallest thing I made was a balance staff with a conical pivot of .05mm in diameter, with a mirror polish. All done by hand. The second year was learning about making precise adjustments to watches, and overhauling them.

I have a few jobs lined up, but Im going to take a few days off, then get on the ball. BTW, did I mention that I am glad to be done? Going to school from 7:30am to 4:30pm five days a week got old after the first week laugh.gif

Im off to do a valve adjust on my car now, and because I dont have to get up early for school tommorow, i'll probably have a few beers tonight beer.gif
Brad Roberts
Congrats Chris... clap56.gif Good job.

Somebody will be lucky to hire you.

B
Qarl
Chris!

That is so cool! It's really neat to see someone taking up a trade like that. I admire your persistence in completing the program.

You will inevitably be well-needed because... well... I don't think I've ever met a watchmaker and I think it's a dying art.

So your first project is to make a 1/100th scale model 914!

BTW, it was nice hanging out with you in Seattle at the swap meet and Dave's place.

Regards,

Karl
Mueller
Can I send you a watch to replace the battery? smile.gif

Congrats.....I didn't even know they had watchmaking schools in the US........

Speaking of watches....anyone know if truely good deals can be found on watches in Europe while I'm there??

True story: I went into one of those high-end jewlrey stores a few years ago and asked about this Brietling (sp?) watch...the woman handed it to me and I saw a price tag of about 500 bucks on it...soooo I ask her to figure out how much the total would be with tax and all.....the bill came out to over $3000....the band alone was $500 and the timepiece was $2500 !!!!! for a watch ???? I don't think so.........

Handed back the watch and walked out.......
redshift
Awesome, a Doctor of real art! Congratulations!

Two questions: Would you make me a watch with 4 extra hours a day, and will you balance my motor, please?

smile.gif

I could use the extra hours in the day, but night is ok too..

M
ChrisReale
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 20 2003, 05:14 PM)
Can I send you a watch to replace the battery? smile.gif

finger.gif Take it to Sears!

Probably wont find many deals in Europe that would beat those found here. Yes watches can get very expensive. I handled a watch that cost $250,000 at a private show. Only a few in existence, and it was a repeater (chimes on the hour, half hour) that sounded so beautiful. Every little piece was hand crafted. her eis a pic of something that is not as expensive, but costs about as much as a 996IPB Image
Bruce Allert
OH MY GAWD! I had no idea my watch was worth that much dance.gif

No... not really rolleyes.gif

Congrats Chris, ain't it great to know there IS a future. What a feeling of accomplishment you must have right now......... Good job MAN beerchug.gif
Are ya gonna be at the PIR AX this Sunday for JP's course? It should be an interesting one.......
bruce
ChrisReale
Yea, Im thinking about heading down there. Knowing JP, he'll set it up so us 914 guys will kick butt! laugh.gif
TimT
Chris,

Congrats beer.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif

I imagine a valve job with a 3 angle mirror finish will be a breeze for you .....

Im in the market for a Rolex Submariner......
seanery
Good Job Chris!

beer3.gif
John Kelly
Hi Chris,

Congratulations, I hope your arms were not worn out by all the pounding you did last weekend. Cool avatar!

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
ChrisReale
Hi John, Im ready for the next installment of the pounding. My arms were ok, but I didn't want to risk being sore!
ChrisReale
QUOTE(TimT @ Aug 20 2003, 06:20 PM)

Im in the market for a Rolex Submariner......

Rolex's hold their value very well. I recommend buying from an authorized dealer, but only an authorized dealer who is willing to negotiate price! Don't let them bullshit you, Rolex makes more than 800,000 watches a year! No need to pay full retail. They are not rare! They are very well made. Not "the best" but damn close
scotty
smilie_pokal.gif Congrats, Chris! smilie_pokal.gif
I envy the patience and skill it takes to machine such small parts by hand.

Be sure to let us know if you start making 1:144 scale porsche -6's as a hobby...even though we won't be able to afford them!
Bleyseng
Congrats Chris, I know you are making your dad proud!! Maybe we can meet for pizza and a beer this week.
I am finally checking out all those MPS's from Brad.

Geoff
boxstr
Chris Congratulations. It is very comendable for someone these days to take the time to put into the training and schooling that is needed to complete a course such as watchmaking. You are a rare breed in todays society.
CCLINTIKTOKVILLE
J P Stein
JP's course? I thought we were talking about Chris' course...........oh, AX course, of course. I prolly ought to get busy sketching somethin' out.

Lessee.....914s don't like tight stuff cause of their long wheelbase. We're good at sweepers and quick changes of direction.....and we gots lots of HP. ...well, if'n ya don't, ya should. laugh.gif I think that good brakes are gonna be needed also.

Humm, I gots a plan....but am open to suggestions.
rhodyguy
excellent chris!!! no more days at I-5 high. now, put the car shit aside and concentrate on being a tax paying adult. get married, have a couple of kids, acquire a mortage, and sell the car. you'll have time and money when you are 50 or so to start again. wink.gif i was waiting until finals were over to call you.

kevin
DNHunt
Great news Chris. Congratulations. I thought I worked on a small scale but .05, I can't imagine. Best of luck

Dave
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 21 2003, 04:59 AM)
now, put the car shit aside and concentrate on being a tax paying adult. get married, have a couple of kids, acquire a mortage, and sell the car. you'll have time and money when you are 50 or so to start again. wink.gif kevin

Kevin's got excellent advice there, man blink.gif
NOT!
I know Kev, yer jest jokin' wink.gif

I had to wait till I "came of age" (from the $$$ standpoint) before having this much fun! You're here already (looks of envey) smile.gif
bruce
Lawrence
Congrats, Chris... that's GREAT!!! smilie_pokal.gif

So, the next time my antique pocketwatch needs service, would you be willing to check it out?

-Rusty smoke.gif
swood
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Aug 20 2003, 05:29 PM)
They are very well made. Not "the best" but damn close

Congrats dude. So for a reasonable amount of money, who makes the best watches? Rolex's are cool, but for me a bit gawdy.
JWest
Is my '97 Timex worth anything? unsure.gif ph34r.gif

Congrats on getting through, and good luck! clap56.gif
ChrisReale
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Aug 21 2003, 07:24 AM)
Congrats, Chris... that's GREAT!!! smilie_pokal.gif

So, the next time my antique pocketwatch needs service, would you be willing to check it out?

-Rusty smoke.gif

Of course. Old pocket watches can be a bitch because you basically have to make any part you need by hand because parts are no longer available.

Your timex is worth the garbage bag it should be thrown in! Just kidding laugh.gif A watch should tell you what time t is. If it does that, then it is serving its purpose. People who are into higher end watches like them because they are interested in the mechanics of it, the art, style, engineering of everything.

Swood, get a Seiko Diver. On ebay, $200 brand new. Water resistent to 600 feet, rugged as hell, probably one of the best dals on a watch. I have one on right now.
914werke
Ah to be young and have eyesight again!
Good job Chris-o smilie_pokal.gif
Got a couple of antiques at home that you could practice on cool.gif
Bleyseng
As a gift from the 914club guys I brought over 6 Blondes for Chris to enjoy! I even had one myself!
Way to go and now get a job! Then enjoy life before you even think about getting married and kids.

Geoff
914guy
smilie_pokal.gif GREAT JOB CHRIS smilie_pokal.gif

I've still got another year or so left, but I can only imagine how good it will feel to be done with school!!

I also love my Seiko, but dream of one of those Zeneth (sp?) watches wub.gif

~Eric
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 21 2003, 06:08 PM)
As a gift from the 914club guys I brought over 6 Blondes for Chris to enjoy! I even had one myself!

I'll bet their last name was Ale beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif
bruce
campbellcj
Congrats! Onwards and upwards...

I vaguely recall that I went to school too, at some point idea.gif

I'm an Omega man myself. I have one of the late 90's "James Bond" Seamasters that I have worn almost every day for 6+ years and it looks brand new. I have some vintage ones too. Built like tanks.
ChrisReale
Omega makes a good watch, I am selling a Speedmaster on Ebay right now to fund a header system! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.