Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can you tighten a factory side mirror?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
Every time I get off the freeway, I have to adjust my side mirror as the wind pushes it up, down, in...everywhere. Is there a way to tighten the thing up?
Joe Ricard
Yea take it off and flip it upside down. you will see a nut with a spring under the nut. just tighten the nut and whala.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Dec 6 2005, 10:56 AM)
Yea take it off and flip it upside down. you will see a nut with a spring under the nut. just tighten the nut and whala.

and "voila" biggrin.gif
ss6
Unscrew it from the body. There is a 10 mm nut in the throat you can tighten.
MoveQik
Great. Thanks guys. On to my next question...

Which engine is better, a stock 2.0 six or a big four? JUST KIDDING! beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
Most times you need to take a cheap 10mm socket and grind the OD down to fit in the mirror nut hole. Nows a good time to take it apart and lube it.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Dec 6 2005, 10:08 AM)
Great. Thanks guys. On to my next question...

Which engine is better, a stock 2.0 six or a big four? JUST KIDDING! beerchug.gif

your wimpy ass 1.8 poke.gif
michel richard
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 6 2005, 09:56 AM)
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Dec 6 2005, 10:56 AM)

and "voila" biggrin.gif

euh, voilĂ  . . .
MoveQik
Well shit, nothing is ever easy. I pop the mirror off and tighten the nut up. It won't budge front to back but it did absolutely nothing for the up and down slop. What next?
Mark Henry
euh, voilĂ  . . . Michel got it right...helps that he's French Canadian smile.gif

I "think" that one may need mirror removal...never done that one.
Done others and they were just 2 sided tape, heating it a heat gun softened the tape.

Joe Ricard
Oh the other nut. Yea that one is a real PITA
The mirror glass has to come out. To do this usually means destroying the brittle rubber glass surround when removing it. once the glass is out then the same "tighten the nut" procedure.
McMark
How convenient, I just did one of these on Sunday. biggrin.gif Full disassembly and lube. Here's the trick that I used.

You need:

• two razor blades
  • 2 small bladed flat screwdrivers
  • patience

You have to pry out the black plastic "ring" that holds the glass in. If you stick a screw driver under it, you'll crack up the mirror. So starting at the center of one of the wide sections carefully work the razor blade (sharp side) between the black plastic and the glass. You may have to use the screwdrivers a bit to help gain access. Once the razor blade is in, you can slide the screwdriver between the razor blade and the black plastic and twist the screwdriver to pry up the plastic. The razor blade will spread the load and protect the mirror glass. Work your way a little closer to one corner.

Once you get one screwdriver securely underneath the plastic, insert the second razor blade/screwdriver combo right next to the first and work it towards the other corner. To pop the corners out takes a little more "oomf", but if you're slow and careful it should come out without braking. Once you get one corner out it's just a matter of going around and prying it all out. Keep using the razor blade to protect the glass.

Underneath the glass there is a clear plastic spacer. I've seen some that disintegrate once you take the glass out. I this is the case, you'll have to devise some otherway to keep the glass away from the metal side and tight against the black plastic. Perhaps duct tape behind the glass? wink.gif

Lube and tighten the nut as necessary with an 8 mm wrench.

If you're clear plastic piece was okay, insert it first and then place the glass on top of it. There is a small lip that must be visible around the border of the glass. It make take a few tries and a little pick work to make it seat right. If this isn't clear, test assemble the glass and clear plastic in your hand. You'll see how the glass goes "inside" the clear plastic piece. Once those two are in, slowly and carefully push the black plastic in. Plan ahead so that the first corner you put in and the last corner you put in have a long space between them.
MoveQik
Thanks Mark. I printed this and I'm off to the garage. Update to follow....
MoveQik
Ok, someone post Mark's method in a "How-to" forum. This worked great and everything is nice and tight now. No broken glass or screwed up gaskets.

Thanks again Mark. beerchug.gif
McMark
No problem. Glad it worked out for you! laugh.gif
Dave_Darling
I'd love it if someone took some pics.

Regardless, this should go in the "Classics" section!

--DD
SLITS
Interesting.....I've been able to tighten the one behind the glass..no problem, but the stand nut has always been frozen and breaks off...bummer

GTeener
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 6 2005, 10:52 AM)
How convenient, I just did one of these on Sunday. biggrin.gif Full disassembly and lube. Here's the trick that I used.

You need:
  • two razor blades
  • 2 small bladed flat screwdrivers
  • patience
You have to pry out the black plastic "ring" that holds the glass in. If you stick a screw driver under it, you'll crack up the mirror. So starting at the center of one of the wide sections carefully work the razor blade (sharp side) between the black plastic and the glass. You may have to use the screwdrivers a bit to help gain access. Once the razor blade is in, you can slide the screwdriver between the razor blade and the black plastic and twist the screwdriver to pry up the plastic. The razor blade will spread the load and protect the mirror glass. Work your way a little closer to one corner.

Once you get one screwdriver securely underneath the plastic, insert the second razor blade/screwdriver combo right next to the first and work it towards the other corner. To pop the corners out takes a little more "oomf", but if you're slow and careful it should come out without braking. Once you get one corner out it's just a matter of going around and prying it all out. Keep using the razor blade to protect the glass.

Underneath the glass there is a clear plastic spacer. I've seen some that disintegrate once you take the glass out. I this is the case, you'll have to devise some otherway to keep the glass away from the metal side and tight against the black plastic. Perhaps duct tape behind the glass? wink.gif

Lube and tighten the nut as necessary with an 8 mm wrench.

If you're clear plastic piece was okay, insert it first and then place the glass on top of it. There is a small lip that must be visible around the border of the glass. It make take a few tries and a little pick work to make it seat right. If this isn't clear, test assemble the glass and clear plastic in your hand. You'll see how the glass goes "inside" the clear plastic piece. Once those two are in, slowly and carefully push the black plastic in. Plan ahead so that the first corner you put in and the last corner you put in have a long space between them.

Thanks Mark!

wink.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 6 2005, 04:38 PM)
I'd love it if someone took some pics.

--DD

Wayne Cowie (type47fan) told me he had pictures of this process and was going to send them to me, but I guess he forgot....
STL914
I just tried Marks method to remove the glass, and aside from breaking both razor blades in the process, it worked fine. smilie_pokal.gif

I needed to switch the mirror from a driver side position to passenger side position, but the body will not rotate. It's now sitting in the garage after an application of Liquid Wrench.

Thanks Mark
smooth_eddy

agree.gif

Anyone else? Eddy
SirAndy
smiley_notworthy.gif
johannes
Thank you for the tips. I just have done the job today. I had a broken mirror.
I decided to replace it and in the meantime wanted to bring my painted side mirrors back to polished finish.
Here are a few pictures showing what has been described in the previous messages.

Here you can see the first ajusting nut.
johannes
Here you can see the transparent spacer and the plastic sealing.
You can see the second ajusting nut that is behind the (broken) mirror and the transparent spacer.
johannes
A friend of mine kindly polished all the parts ... Not so bad looking for a 30 years old side mirror wink.gif
alpha434
Just throw away the stock mirror and get a Wink mirror for the inside. Best idea I've ever heard. Ok, ok. I've got that problem with mine flopping around too. Thanks all. I'll fix it the same way.
STL914
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Jan 28 2006, 05:33 PM)
Just throw away the stock mirror and get a Wink mirror for the inside. Best idea I've ever heard. Ok, ok. I've got that problem with mine flopping around too. Thanks all. I'll fix it the same way.

Hey, throw those stock mirrors my way please.
type47fan
Gwen, I did send the pictures to you. . . here they are again, without narrative, which has been so eloquently described above . . . .
type47fan
type47fan
type47fan
type47fan
johannes
AAARRRHHHH , Just began to restore my second mirror ... and found out that the transparent plastic is broken in 3 pieces ... so is unusable ...

Does someone have this part available for me ? ... I can pay of course

The piece I need is the one shown on the picture bellow

HELP !!!! smiley_notworthy.gif
McMark
I've never done it, but I expect you could get away with some foam tape, maybe 1/4" thick. Just put it around the outer edge of the steel piece. idea.gif
type47fan
QUOTE(johannes @ Feb 1 2006, 10:24 AM)
I've repaired these pieces using a 3M Scotch-Weld product: DP-190, gray. It's a two part epoxy adhesive that remains flexible after curing. Just run a thin bead on the part and put the pieces together. I use regular masking tape to hold the assembly while curing.

Good luck,

AAARRRHHHH , Just began to restore my second mirror ... and found out that the transparent plastic is broken in 3 pieces ... so is unusable ...

Does someone have this part available for me ? ... I can pay of course

The piece I need is the one shown on the picture bellow

HELP !!!! smiley_notworthy.gif

My USD.02, see above
johannes
Thank you, I'll try that ...
Cuda911
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Dec 6 2005, 10:36 AM) *

The mirror glass has to come out. To do this usually means destroying the brittle rubber glass surround when removing it. once the glass is out then the same "tighten the nut" procedure.

Rather than destroying the rubber, if the rubber ring doesn't pop out, just break the glass out and get some new glass cut. Cheap and easy. Worked for me.

Of course, you can also just order some '73 Mustang mirrors as replacements. My understanding is that most here prefer them to the stock mirror.
Coondog
[i][quote name='Cuda911' date='Nov 20 2017, 12:06 AM' post='2549981']
[quote name='Joe Ricard' post='552482' date='Dec 6 2005, 10:36 AM']

Of course, you can also just order some '73 Mustang mirrors as replacements. My understanding is that most here prefer them to the stock mirror.
[/quote]

April fools day is in April not November............ poke.gif
Valy
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Nov 20 2017, 01:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Dec 6 2005, 10:36 AM) *

Rather than destroying the rubber, if the rubber ring doesn't pop out, just break the glass out and get some new glass cut. Cheap and easy. Worked for me.

Can you please post the specific pattern to brake the mirror? lol-2.gif
Larmo63
Double post.
Larmo63
If you read McMark's 'how-to,' getting the glass out of the mirror is not that hard with a little patience. He nails the procedure. I've done a few, it can be done.

By the way, the early mirror is shorter, but seems wider. It also has a different arm.Both early and late mirrors use the same base, and the black plastic gasket
has a slight "cant" to it. If your side mirrors look like they sag, you might have the black thing in backwards.
StratPlayer
Wow digging up an old thread here.
raynekat
Have to admit.....Mustang mirrors look
pretty bad to me. blink.gif
The shape just doesn't fit the 914 correctly.
EdwardBlume
what kind of hammer? smash.gif

i'm confused24.gif
Cuda911
QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 20 2017, 05:14 PM) *

Have to admit.....Mustang mirrors look
pretty bad to me. blink.gif
The shape just doesn't fit the 914 correctly.

It's just what you're used to. It echos the shape of the front corner windows perfectly. smile.gif

Last I heard, Larmo was trying to scare up a set for his ride.

Larmo63
Those look embarrassingly awful.
Cuda911
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 20 2017, 11:01 PM) *

Those look embarrassingly awful.

Thanks for the compliment! smile.gif
MoveQik
Wow...blast from the past! Project update: 12 years later and my mirror is still nice and tight. biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Cool - I have to do both of my mirrors before WCR. My driver's side mirror is loose but I figure I may as well do both. This was a cool thread to find for that. beerchug.gif

As a follow up, the 914Rubber parts made the job easy-peasy. Both mirrors are now nice and tight- no vibration at speed.

I was curious about the comment made above about the black base gasket being different if your mirror sags a bit. My driver's mirror looks as if it could be raised up a bit to eliminate that sag.... Any solutions?
Cairo94507
Bump.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.