Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noob question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
How?

Does a six have the same set-up as a four? Drain plug, sump plate & screen?

Thanks...
brant
Generally is is agreed that to change the oil you must undo one of the oil lines.

the one that gravity feeds from the tank to the suction (motor inlet) right on the motor oil cooler.

brant
smg914
QUOTE (Headrage @ Dec 6 2005, 11:43 AM)
How?

Does a six have the same set-up as a four? Drain plug, sump plate & screen?

Thanks...

Yes, but instead of one nut in the center holding the sump plate on the six has 8 nuts holding it on. And of course the six has an oil tank that must be drained too.
Root_Werks
On that six, you can just pull the drain plug if you want or the plate. Take and loosen the brass line off the oil cooler and let the tank drain from that. remember it's brass to aluminum so don't overtighten.
DonTraver
Use cardboard as splash guards, when you break the oil line, it just goes everywhere, and make sure the oil is hot, at least 140F, so try not to spash on you. Just a pia messy job.

Later, Don
SLITS
Buy a suction pump and suck it out of the tank..................
MattR
QUOTE (SLITS @ Dec 6 2005, 02:19 PM)

Or you could hire aaron.
Porsche Rescue
You will get more than half of at least 10 quarts from the tank. Be sure to have a big pan. Probably get only 2-4 quarts from the case.
SLITS
QUOTE (MattR @ Dec 6 2005, 03:27 PM)
QUOTE (SLITS @ Dec 6 2005, 02:19 PM)

Or you could hire aaron.

chairfall.gif ZINGASLAPWHAP av-943.gif
Root_Werks
I think that holds almost 11 quarts with that tank? idea.gif

Hot oil feels good on cold hands. ohmy.gif
brp914
dont trash the fittings by using arc joint pliers to separate the lines from the oil tank. buy the 36 mm oil line wrench. those lines are $$$, if not nla.
J P Stein
Golly....and to think what I do biggrin.gif

I let her set for a couple-3 weeks. All the oil runs back thru the scavenge line & oil pump into the sump. Pull the plug, & out it all comes. I let it sit & drain for a week. I get 10+ quarts out. I haven't cracked open a line in years.
smg914
According to the owners manual, an oil and filter change on a stock 2 Liter 6 with the factory oil tank, takes 9.5 quarts of oil.
maxwelj
To ease oil changes on mine, I had a tee with a brass ball valve welded into the metal ell on the lower end of the line from the oil tank. It is easily accessible from the wheel well, and has not ever come open by itself. Makes oil changes a snap. Yes, I know, it's not original....
bottomend
10 Quarts! TEN QUARTS!!!!!!!!!! thats amazing... what is the change interval? Is it longer than normal?
sixnotfour
I let it sit & drain for a week

Aint that like watching grass grow laugh.gif

JP in CA. its nice enough even in winter to drive em. cool_shades.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE (smg914 @ Dec 6 2005, 10:03 PM)
According to the owners manual, an oil and filter change on a stock 2 Liter 6 with the factory oil tank, takes 9.5 quarts of oil.

Allan's car has one of the larger than stock aluminum tanks. Holds roughly 11qts with a filter change.
smg914
QUOTE (bottomend @ Dec 7 2005, 01:59 AM)
10 Quarts! TEN QUARTS!!!!!!!!!! thats amazing... what is the change interval? Is it longer than normal?

I change mine once a year. I've put 21,000 miles on my six in the last 27 years. Thats about 750 miles a year.
Racing916
I have read change the oil once every 5,000 miles in a six, I believe it was in the manual I read this.
brant
QUOTE (bottomend @ Dec 7 2005, 02:59 AM)

I'm running 19 quarts now...
and changing it after every weekend of track use.

ouch... mobil 1 ouch...

DonTraver
The owners manual reccommends for the 6, change at 6k. The newer Porsches are going up to 15k. I change at 6k on the 6 and the RSA. With a external oil cooler, takes a bit over 11 qts.

Another thing I do is, drain the oil filter and cut her open with a chisel and look for metal. I also use a magnet in the oil filter, it's called a cow magnet, bout 1/2 in dia by 3 inches long. I run them in everything. Everytime I've had a problem, the magnet showed it first, plus it pulls the crap out of the system.

Later, Don
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.