Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Black rubber windshield gasket...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
At first I thought the rubber replaced the butyl tape and actually held the glass in like on "normal" older cars. I've done some searching, and now I'm thinking that the tape is still what holds the glass in, and the rubber only replaces the chrome trim and clips.

Can I get a BTDT to confirm either way?
BMITCHELL
I removed my trim before paint. Replaced my trim with rubber after I had the car painted.
Rand
Bingo Royce.

My understanding is the windshield is held in by butyl tape. The trim is only for looks (or you could argue that it is supposed to keep water out.... which it kinda does.)

Personally, I don't like the look of chrome or shiny aluminum. I prefer black. So, some nice rubber to fill the gap and keep water out is in order. BTW, I'm looking for some of that. biggrin.gif
bondo
Ok, cool.

But the rubber trim still has to go on before the windshield goes in, right?

Rand: I plan to just buy what I need at an autoglass place, but if I can't find it and have to buy 75 feet, I'll let you know. smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (bondo @ Dec 6 2005, 03:17 PM)
Can I get a BTDT to confirm either way?

yes, confirmed ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE (bondo @ Dec 6 2005, 04:23 PM)

wrong ...
JoeSharp
Royce: I watched the guy do mine and he put the trim on the windshield first and then he put the windshield on the car.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Jenny
Andy, where did you get yours from, and who installed it for you?

Jen
bondo
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 6 2005, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Dec 6 2005, 04:23 PM)

wrong ...

Ok, now I'm confused again. The cross sections I have seen showed it hooking under the glass.. but if the glass is installed, isn't there butyl/steel there?
Ray Warren
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Dec 6 2005, 06:35 PM)
Royce: I watched the guy do mine and he put the trim on the windshield first and then he put the windshield on the car.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe

Me too.
There is a groove in the rubber that the window fits in.
SirAndy
QUOTE (bondo @ Dec 6 2005, 04:38 PM)
Ok, now I'm confused again. The cross sections I have seen showed it hooking under the glass.. but if the glass is installed, isn't there butyl/steel there?

ok, i thought you meant you'll need to put it on the car before the windshield goes in. which is wrong.
you wrap it around the windshield and then put both in at the same time.

however, you *can* put it in after the windshield is installed. just a PITA ...

rolleyes.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jenny @ Dec 6 2005, 04:37 PM)
Andy, where did you get yours from, and who installed it for you?

Rich at HPH. he was going to stock a few sets for the FTwC™ (Fellow Teeners without Chrome™) ....

cool_shades.gif Andy
Mickeyb
I just called HPH and he said they are still looking for a suitable replacement for the chrome trim. There is a little information in the “Classic Message Threads”, but it is not a step by step procedure with the material needed to do the job. I would like to replace the chrome around my windshield also.
DonTraver
Yeah, I'd like it done on mine too.

Later, Don
drew365
Cost $200 to have a guy come to my house and replace the windshield in less then an hour. He used rubber trim and replaced the rearview mirror. Looks good, I can't imagine messing with it myself.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mickeyb @ Dec 6 2005, 06:18 PM)
I just called HPH and he said they are still looking for a suitable replacement for the chrome trim.

i've been bugging him for over a year now to stock some 3 or 4 kits,
i guess i wasn't persistent enough ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
jimtab
I got mine done when Los Panchos did the paint and body, it's the only way to fly unless you're a cw..... happy11.gif
jonwatts
If you go to a glass shop and say "butyl tape" prepare to get an ear full. There have been advancements in the last 30 years and some of them are actually good.

3M Auto Glass Adhesives

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Dec 6 2005, 10:44 PM)
If you go to a glass shop and say "butyl tape" prepare to get an ear full. There have been advancements in the last 30 years and some of them are actually good.

3M Auto Glass Adhesives

dang!

i went to glass shop, had NEW PPG put in. they threw my roll of butyl at me and caulked it in..... i put the trim clips in..... so i guess no rubber for me? gotta use chrome eh? dry.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 6 2005, 10:48 PM)
so i guess no rubber for me?

you can ....

cut off the lip, use another layer of thin "buthyl" or whatever it's called and use it to glue in the black rubber ...

works like a charme ...
biggrin.gif Andy
McMark
I don't understand what the Butyl is lacking that necessitates "upgrading". All I know for sure is that if you do need to take your windshield out for some reason in the future (new trim clips?) the butyl makes this possible, while the new stuff results in a broken window. dry.gif. I'll probably stick with butyl for the stuff I touch.
SirAndy
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 6 2005, 11:38 PM)
I'll probably stick with butyl for the stuff I touch.

agree.gif no need to re-invent the glue that holds together a 35+ year old car ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
Dead Air
QUOTE (Mickeyb @ Dec 6 2005, 05:18 PM)
I just called HPH and he said they are still looking for a suitable replacement for the chrome trim. There is a little information in the “Classic Message Threads”, but it is not a step by step procedure with the material needed to do the job. I would like to replace the chrome around my windshield also.

[QUOTE]
givemebeer.gif

oops!

agree.gif
94teener
I use http://www.gggcorp.com/mouldpart2.htm rubber trim, specifically part No. T-105BFL.

The trim is installed on the windshield firstly. I used butyl in the very hot sun of Florida when installing into the windshield frame.
Works for me.

I use the 5/8" wide trim because it makes the sharp turns without wrinkles in the lower corners of the 914 windshield frame.

Pics:
94teener
Pic II
94teener
Pic III
Dr Evil
Here is the side profile of the stuff that JimTab and I have on our cars.
bondo
Ok, one more question.. how many feet do I need? (I was thinking I'd get some on the way home, and I don't have a 914 at work to measure)
Dr Evil
You can get a new windshield installed for $110 down at the glass place in the pic your part parking lot in San Diego. I got mine with the tint on the top. The rubber gasket is placed in after the window is fitted in my experience. The 3M adhesive is only better because it is put on like calk and is easier to work with. No offense to butyl, but no need to me phobic of the new technology. biggrin.gif Al and I can source some of the rubber trim for anyone interested idea.gif We will be selling it as soon as we can figure out what cost will be. happy11.gif
bondo
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Dec 7 2005, 11:25 AM)
You can get a new windshield installed for $110 down at the glass place in the pic your part parking lot in San Diego. I got mine with the tint on the top. The rubber gasket is placed in after the window is fitted in my experience. The 3M adhesive is only better because it is put on like calk and is easier to work with. No offense to butyl, but no need to me phobic of the new technology. biggrin.gif Al and I can source some of the rubber trim for anyone interested idea.gif We will be selling it as soon as we can figure out what cost will be. happy11.gif

In this case I can't have the local glass shop do it because the car has no engine. I also already have a windshield. I need to get the windshield in ASAP so I can get a car cover on it so it looks "normal" before I get hell from the county. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE (bondo @ Dec 7 2005, 11:35 AM)
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Dec 7 2005, 11:25 AM)
You can get a new windshield installed for $110 down at the glass place in the pic your part parking lot in San Diego. I got mine with the tint on the top. The rubber gasket is placed in after the window is fitted in my experience. The 3M adhesive is only better because it is put on like calk and is easier to work with. No offense to butyl, but no need to me phobic of the new technology.  :D  Al and I can source some of the rubber trim for anyone interested idea.gif  We will be selling it as soon as we can figure out what cost will be. happy11.gif

In this case I can't have the local glass shop do it because the car has no engine. I also already have a windshield. I need to get the windshield in ASAP so I can get a car cover on it so it looks "normal" before I get hell from the county. biggrin.gif

I hear ya there.
Aaron Cox
so windshield MUST come out to put this stuff on?

dry.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 7 2005, 11:39 AM)

no. not really. you can just simply cut of the lip on the inner side and run another bead of small buthyl (sp?) and press the rubber in there ...

works just fine!
cool_shades.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 7 2005, 11:53 AM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 7 2005, 11:39 AM)

no. not really. you can just simply cut of the lip on the inner side and run another bead of small buthyl (sp?) and press the rubber in there ...

works just fine!
cool_shades.gif Andy

what if i have the chrome clips in there? gotta chip them out??
bondo
QUOTE (bondo @ Dec 7 2005, 11:24 AM)
Ok, one more question.. how many feet do I need? (I was thinking I'd get some on the way home, and I don't have a 914 at work to measure)

Maybe I didn't word that right... how many meters do I need? biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 7 2005, 11:54 AM)
what if i have the chrome clips in there? gotta chip them out??

nope, the lip on the other side will actually hook under the clips ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
bondo
Ok, I've got the stuff.. for any locals interested, I got it at San Luis Auto Glass. It was about $50 for 15 feet (should be plenty) and 2 rolls of butyl tape. (I'm installing the rear glass too)

If you go there looking for the stuff, talk to Jerome and tell him you have a 914.
r_towle
Please...take a pic...and show the profile here...

Rich
smooth_eddy
Can someone post a pic of what it looks like with the rubber trim. Seems like a lot of people prefer the rubber only look and I wanted to see what it looks like. Thanks.............Eddy
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Dec 9 2005, 09:07 PM)
Can someone post a pic of what it looks like with the rubber trim. Seems like a lot of people prefer the rubber only look and I wanted to see what it looks like. Thanks.............Eddy

huh.gif

look at the pictures posted above huh.gif
bondo
QUOTE (r_towle @ Dec 9 2005, 09:01 PM)
Please...take a pic...and show the profile here...

Rich

Ok, I'll take a cross sectional pic tomorrow.

Does anyone know if anything HAS to be put in before the windshield? I'm planning to install it tomorrow and I don't want to have to do it again. biggrin.gif
bondo
Here's a pic of the stuff I got... Still no word if anything has to be put in first? A search turns up conflicting reports on the dash.
Dr Evil
Hey Royce,
it would be easier to put the dash in first, but it is not necessary. Also, you can remove the clip anchors for the original trim if you like. It makes things a little easier. Last I saw the anchors were like$5-10 new.
HTH
bondo
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Dec 10 2005, 04:04 PM)
Hey Royce,
it would be easier to put the dash in first, but it is not necessary. Also, you can remove the clip anchors for the original trim if you like. It makes things a little easier. Last I saw the anchors were like$5-10 new.
HTH

Cool, that's what I wanted to hear. smile.gif

All trim clips have been removed and holes filled, before I got the car.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 6 2005, 10:38 PM)
I don't understand what the Butyl is lacking that necessitates "upgrading". All I know for sure is that if you do need to take your windshield out for some reason in the future (new trim clips?) the butyl makes this possible, while the new stuff results in a broken window. dry.gif. I'll probably stick with butyl for the stuff I touch.

agree.gif

When you glue that windshield in, you'll probably end up gluing the trim in too. If you want to have chrome trim you'll have to replace it whenever you have to replace the glass.

That being said, if I were not using the chrome trim, I'd probably want to glue it in as the chrome does help hold the glass in place.

I paint the windshield channel black, and then use that black urethane primer too. This way if your adhesive (or butyl tape) doesn't cover all of the channel, you don't have body color areas shining through the windshield.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.