Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what kind of lug bolt???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grasshopper
i dont want to break them off, but there is one of them on every wheel... what kind are they?? Are they just really tight, or is there a trick to getting them off unsure.gif or am i just stupid WTF.gif
swl
I have one on each wheel just like that. Thought I had messed up somewhere along the line. It has the deep hole and a smaller wrench size. Other than that nothing different about it. Be interesting to see if anybody knows the why of that bolt.

As far as getting it out, remember that vibration is your friend for removing a tight bolt. Just torquing it is much more likely to shear it than torque and impact. (Just ask my son about the nasty incident with the rear rotor retaining screw) If you don't have an impact wrench try a breaker bar and hammer. Gloves are good when doing that - vibrations can sting.
Mueller
one on every wheel normally means it's a locking lug bolt...if a your socket fits (looks like a 17mm instead of 19mm), then you should be able to remove it....

seeing the rust you have on the other lug nut, they all might be tough to remove.....

it could just be that the PO only had 12 regular bolts and used something from another car such as an Audi...played it "safe" by installing the mismatched bolts on each wheel wacko.gif
bondo
My guess is it had wheel locks on it at one time, and somebody lost the key. After getting the wheel locks off, they just replaced the missing bolts with whatever was on hand.

Perhaps the harder removal is just because the non-rust coating of those bolts wasn't as good as the others?
grasshopper
QUOTE (bondo @ Dec 6 2005, 05:04 PM)
Perhaps the harder removal is just because the non-rust coating of those bolts wasn't as good as the others?

av-943.gif Thanks guys.... all the others came off fine, these just seemed alot tighter than the others... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.