Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Extra Oil Deep Sump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I've seen the deep sump kits that some of the parts pushers offer.
Brad mentioned it in a post recently.

Since I've been wondering, I'll ask all of you.

1. Do they work?
2. Are there different kits?
3. What are the trade-offs by installing one?
4. What haven't I asked that I need to know?
ChrisReale
I saw a bunch on old 356's at the vintage races. They hang looooooow, so not good idea for street driven cars. Thats all I know, all of which you already were prolly aware of.
seanery
It's for a car that is 90% street driven. And once the race car is done it will be 100% street driven.
But....that still leaves 10% for now.
ChrisReale
Well, the 356's I saw were lowered a bit, but the Sump was very close to the ground, like, dont go over a speed bump because it will rip the engine apart, low
seanery
B, I need your opinion on this. I'm getting Koni yellows with the adjustable collar and 150's from Paragon when I get the 951 money.

You've seen the car, what do you think?
Bleyseng
Sean, just get a tuna can and forget the deep sump . If you want more oil install a oil cooler upfront GT style.

Geoff
seanery
I want to keep this car stock looking. The -6 will be flared, big cooler, yada yada yada. I want this to be stock looking.
It gets hot here and I'd still like to be able to take the car to the track in July & August. I did run Willow Springs in the 74 when it had a 2.0/4 July 4th. I think the deep sump would have helped then.
Bleyseng
A deep sump will just slow the oil getting hot process down some, it won't cool the oil. If you want the stock look just install a fiberglass GT valence and leave the bumper stock.

Geoff
seanery
I'm not totally 100% opposed to that, but that's a good size expense that I don't wanna do for this car, although it WOULD be good longevity, track events or not.
Bleyseng
It's a mod that IF you want to track or AX alot you should do. For the street it's just insurance to keep the engine running along time cuz it WILL stay cool.
It's on my list of things to do.

Geoff
bernbomb914
I installed one this week to see if it would help with the oil temp. It slowed down the heat gain but over one hour it still got up to the 3/4 mark. I have other issues that create the heat that I need to address.
It hangs down about the same distance as the engine mounting bar so I dont think it will hit anything. It adds 1.5 quarts of oil.

Bernie driving.gif

is any body having a problem with a new virus that keeps trying to send email but norton catches it but it wont stop confused24.gif
Aaron Cox
how does the sump attach to the case? ive seen two different deep sump kits- onw witha round drain plate and the other with a rectangular one- (tweeks has em both)
bernbomb914
mine was round standard bolt pattern.

Bernie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.