Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Cleaning up a serious oil spill...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
I need some serious oil cleaning schtuff. I need to clean my old parking space where my 914 leaked all over the floor. What is a serious tried and true detergent to clean up with?
MoveQik
I use denatured alcohol. Spray, scrub, spray scrub....pressure wash if needed.

Of course I use denatured alcohol for cleaning everything.
flesburg
There are several commercial oil cleaning products that contain solvents as well as soap which will clean up oil and even remove stains from concrete floors.

I use one in a white gallon plastic jug with a blue label. I get it at a local auto parts store. Works pretty good. Acetone will also work great but do not smoke while using it.
Maltese Falcon
Chris, a few cans of carb cleaner from your local autozone. Then a good scrubbing with ajax, the garden hose and lots of ventillation or you'll be HOC/ high on crack smoke.gif
I use this after my pool guy parks in my driveway ...
Marty
smooth_eddy
you might want to start with kitty litter biggrin.gif Eddy
Porsche Rescue
Poor enough gasoline on the stained area to wet it pretty good, then cover the area with kitty litter. It will absorb most of it. Sweep after several hours or over night.

edit: do what Eddy said
SpecialK
I agree with the kitty litter trick, I've got two fresh bags in the garage, and haven't owned a cat in 7 years. Let it set over night to get the majority of the spill, sweep it up, then lay down some fresh kitty litter and grind it into the spill with your foot until it's powdered. Sweep up the dust......stain gone.
Lou W
Porsche Rescue Posted on Dec 6 2005, 08:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor enough gasoline on the stained area to wet in pretty good, then cover the area with kitty litter. It will absorb most of it. Sweep after several hours or over night.

edit: do what Eddy said  

agree.gif
smooth_eddy
Sheet rock dust works well too. Just a bit harder to come by unless you have a remodel going on too. Eddy
ChrisReale
Ive done the litter thing. Basically I am working with stains right now. Acetone or carb cleaner sound like they might help.
mightyohm
Can you stain the rest of the garage to match? (surprised noone has suggested that yet biggrin.gif )
Bleyseng
Dood, how is the car running? kitty litter then a concrete cleaner from Home Depot
popcorn[1].gif
jimtab
Forget all that other crap. Go to a good hardware or paint store and get the cleaner/ primer they sell for use with the new garage floor coverings...it's industrial strength degreaser, then use muratic acid for the stains that are left....carb cleaner is toxic waste....
bondo
I just wipe up what I can and let the rest soak in... it gives the garage a "lived in" look. smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Lacquer thinner is the best thing I've ever used. Can't tell it's ever been stained. Friends have use Amway driveway cleaner and say it works well. The Cap'n
GaroldShaffer
I use kitty litter. Pour it over and grind it in with your foot. Let it set over night and sweep. If there is anything left then I use a product called pour & restore. Cover the area with that and wait about 4 hours for it to dry and just sweep up. The floor looks like new.
SGB
Kitty litter or gyp board dust. Pulverised into dust, then wait awhile, stir it around a little and wait some more. It will truely pull it up if you wait long enough.
fiid
Offbeat suggestion: It's rumoured (on the bottle) that Dave's Insanity Sauce is capable of removing oil stains from driveways. I have no idea if it really does or not - but if you want to test it and let us know - it would be very educational!

Good luck with the spill - and reply to my PM that I sent you like a couple of weeks ago... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.