Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The latest east coast ebay car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
terrymason
In my quest to find my first 914 for next to nothing (mission impossible I'm lead to believe) I stumbled upon this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...spagenameZWDVW+

the part where it states:
"needs inner/outer rockers"
leads me to believe that it's rusted through. Anyone going out to take a look at these?
root
Impossible to know extent of rust with those pics!
If you could get the seller to send you some frame photos then maybe.....
You're thinking right ....... need to find a NY club member to check it out for ya!
Otherwise you might be in for a ....
shocked[1].gif
Dead Air
Hi,
Let's see if I can offer some insight:
I live in Clarence
I think I know that guy!

I think his name is Rick (I only say that because I know he owns several cars and has offered to sell us some axle shafts)
I see a blue one in the back ground. I saw one of the cars he rebuilt once and it was a pretty sweet machine.

If I can find his number I'll do a PPI and post the picks.
His folks (If it's the same guy) live about two blocks from me.
Let me know if I can help.
Dead Air
The car with push bars is back, AAHHHHH!

I don't think this is your car!

Look here now!

And some body pulled the Pedrinni's!

As Andy said, there's no picture of the longs, because there are no longs!
VaccaRabite
Also, if you are planning to ship the car from NY to VA, you might find it is not that much more expensive to ship from SOCAL to VA. And from SOCAL, you are going to get a nicer car for cheaper.

Or, look for more complete local cars. You will pay more, but if you tally in the cost of shipping (from anywhere) a more expensive - but nice - local car will be very similar in price.

On a local car, go look at it in person, to be sure it is worth the extra money.

By "more expensive" I mean $4K - $6K, not one of the $10K+ cars that you see. A $4K - 6K car on the east coast usually has a bad, but newer, paintjob - a little rust, but not much, a strong EFI 2.0, a nice and complete interior, and clear inspection stickers.

The same car could be had on the left coast for 1/2 that, but you would pay the rest in shipping. Even shipping from NY is going to be expensive. From the cars that I have looked at (all in MD, PA, VA - and all in the past 6 months) always rent a trailor when you buy the car. Don't drive it home. Unless it is clear that the PO had new fuel lines installed, you have to assume that the car is spraying fuel on the engine block.

The uhaul trailor from Silver Spring to York PA was $150. Tow truck for the same distance was $400 - $600 depending on who you called.

I know that there are is a strong 914 contingent in NOVA and the surrounding area. Check Craigs list. All the people I talked to when looking at cars were just fine with me getting under the car to look for rust.

Zach
Dead Air
I think the condition of the parts car (per description) may be better than the red one.
terrymason
Vacca Rabite - yeah, I'm pretty much waiting to save up 4-5K, I could probably do it by the spring. Whatever I get, I'll be visiting it in person, with a trailer to tow it home with. Thanks for the tips!
Dr Evil
I am curious why he would want to put the good rockers from one car onto the other. Why not swap the engien and trans from the running one into the more solid one? That would be infinetly easier, IMHO. Perhaps omission is a sign of bad things?
joeav8tor
I bought a car in Houston, and had it shipped to long island in an enclosed car carrier for $1100, I believe it is best to find the most rust free car that you can afford, and have a club member do a PPI on it, and ship it to your location....it was going to be $600 for an open carrier...
Joe
Dead Air
QUOTE (terrymason @ Dec 6 2005, 08:36 PM)
In my quest to find my first 914 for next to nothing (mission impossible I'm lead to believe) I stumbled upon this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...spagenameZWDVW+

the part where it states:
"needs inner/outer rockers"
leads me to believe that it's rusted through.  Anyone going out to take a look at these?

[QUOTE]

Terry,
I'm not trying to rain on your parade. sad.gif
But in 94 words or less I'm gonna tell you everything I've learned from these people about 914's. (Even though I probably pissed off most of them /Ya'll listen up :Miles!/)
To know the 9's you haveto have some foreign car exerience.
You're WAY into VW GTI's
A Kharman Ghia with fat treads looks "cool" to you.
You know the 912 is (really)a sweet machine.
Any MG or Triumph with a leaking top or fried dash board would be a great "first date" car!
The last 18 pages of Road & Track make sence to you...
And finally..
You can't wait until your new JC Whitney catologue comes!! clap.gif

A clean, running, 914 is worth $4000 or more.
It's like the price of gold
A commodity.
Buy a rust bucket (running) and put in $3500 in time and parts (minimum)
or buy a $2000 California car(running) and pay for shipping.

I canno distill it na furtha, Bro'.
We who know the 9's.....
Will be glad to help you.

PS
My Dad lives in VA
If you buy it, You can pay me to tow it. beerchug.gif
Dead Air
icon_bump.gif

Chime in any time you want.
"help a brother out?"
Dead Air
I asked the seller "hey Rick, is that you? Can I come over and see the car?"
Or something like that...
The reply was...
Item: Porsche : 914 (4596143134)
This message was sent while the listing was active.
rhs8535 is the seller.

No it's not Rick, who is asking?

WE got some mojo friendly neighbors! biggrin.gif
So I asked again...
Can I come see the car?
popcorn[1].gif

VaccaRabite
QUOTE (joeav8tor @ Dec 7 2005, 03:38 PM)
I bought a car in Houston, and had it shipped to long island in an enclosed car carrier for $1100, I believe it is best to find the most rust free car that you can afford, and have a club member do a PPI on it, and ship it to your location....it was going to be $600 for an open carrier...
Joe

How long ago was that?

When I was considering shipping a car a few months ago, it was much more expensive then that.

Zach
Mickeyb
I just had a 914 shipped (enclosed carrier) from Lake Forest, Ca. to Hopewell, Va. and it arrived on 11/23/05 for $1460. I used VIP Transport (I was very happy with the service). It took about 11 days.
nomore9one4
QUOTE (Mickeyb @ Dec 9 2005, 05:56 PM)
I just had a 914 shipped (enclosed carrier) from Lake Forest, Ca. to Hopewell, Va. and it arrived on 11/23/05 for $1460. I used VIP Transport (I was very happy with the service). It took about 11 days.

That is alot of money to me! confused24.gif
Mickeyb
I called a lot of the carriers in November and that was the cheapest enclosed carrier I could find.
Dead Air
Checking the auction...

"Question & Answer Answered On

Q: does the heat work in the car? And also, I have never heard of an 8 cylinder in a 914, do you know if that motor would fitt in my 1974 914? Thank you
Dec-09-05
A: The 8 cyl. is a missprint its a 4 cyl. I don't know about the heater. I assume it works since its air cooled and has heat ducts around the motor for heat.
"I've Never heard of an 8 cylinder in a 914"?!!
"I assume it works?!!"

What is going on? Do these people not know about the 914 club?
Seller hasn't gotten back to me about a PPI.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.