Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yay! It starts... but won't stay running.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Hey fellas:
Well, the good news is, I got it started. The bad news is is won't stay running.
After sitting for 4 years, I changed all the fluids and filters (oil, gas, tranny), got the gas tank reconditioned, replaced plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, points and new battery.
When I replaced the points, I didn't have it set correctly (cam wasn't even opening points - duh!), so I the set gap to .016" and hooked up the remote starter switch (as instructed - thanks!).
Turned it over with switch (key turned on) and it started almost instantly!!! That made me really happy!! mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif
It ran for about 30 seconds (a little rough) and then quit. I tried it again, and it started right up again. This time it didn't run as well or as long and quit again. I tried to start it about 10 more times and it started every time, but it seemed to stop running sooner and ran crappier, each time. If I let it sit for a while (5 minutes) it will start stronger and run longer, but still not stay running. If I try the accelerator pedal, it dies even sooner. I can't even get it to rev up before it dies. I have about 8 gallons of gas in the tank.
I noticed a small almost transparent loooking hose (1/8" ID?) with a short length of rubber hose on the end of it just hanging there unconnected. I can't for the life of me, see where this hose should connect. It's coming from the botton of the engine compartment (thru a hole in the metal at the bottom), just to the left of the battery.
Anyone got any ideas where this should hose go? Could this be a fuel line?
Any other ideas? It seems like it might be a fuel problem now. Any help is appreciated.
Sorry for long content. Hope you guys can shed some light... pray.gif
Qarl
The hose in question is for the charcoal canister return line. Not critical, but I'm not sure what the impact is on the engine running.

Sounds like a cold start problem maybe. Could be related to the cold start valve, or the cylinder head temp sensor.

Well first, what engine are you running? FI or carbs?
Brad Roberts
It sounds like the fuel pump is priming the system..but not staying running ...

Like Karl.. asked... Carb'd or injected ??

B
Qarl
Yeah.. Brad may be on to something (of course).

Maybe the fuel pump "primes" the system when you turn the key to the first click, but when you actually start the system, the pump isn't energized.
Brad Roberts
Honestly.. I can answer his question. Its injected. Carbs would stay running much longer just on the gas in the float bowls.

You have a ignition switch issue.. (I think)..

Here is what I would do:

Put a volt meter on the coil. Turn the key on and look for 12 volts on the pos side of the coil. Hit your starter button and see if the voltage goes away.

B
vortrex
same thing happened to me before after letting my car sit for 2 weeks. the cold start I guess was giving fuel, but the pump was not?? turns out my pump was frozen. tapped on it with a hammer gently and it was fixed from then on out.
Brad Roberts
There had to be gas in the lines for that to happen (I'm surprised the cold start valve would fire any gas with NO pressure).

Pretty easy to check. Turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump... if you dont hear it.. check the relay or the fuse for it on the relay board... then tap on the pump.

B
Jeffs9146
$.02

Injectors clogging with rust!?? Fuel filter? Fuel Pump? Rusted tank? Cold start sounds possible!?

4 years is a long time with fuel sitting in the lines, pumps, injectors and the tank!

Jeff
914zim
Thanks guys for the help... pray.gif pray.gif
Yes. FI
Drained the old fuel
Reconditioned gas tank - boiled and sealed at radiator shop
Replaced fuel filter. 8 gallons of fresh gas in tank
Fuel pump is running (I hear it for about 2 seconds - sounds strong everytime)
I'll check if the hose connect to charcoal canister (maybe underside of it?)
I have the key to the position where the dash idiot lights come on (red and green - ?? and oil) 2 clicks, I think\
I'll try Brad's suggestion (ignition switch) tonight (more details, please)
I'm at work now, but will check for additional help from you guys later - Thanks!!!
Andy...
Bleyseng
yes, but did you flush the fuel rails? If not then the sludge with clog the small screens at each injector. Also, new CHT?

Geoff
914zim
How do I flush the fuel rails?
Maybe even clean/check the injectors?
How do I do this?
CHT - cylinder head temperature sensor?
What is this?
Where is it located in the 914?
Can I get one from PP?
Man, that's a lot of questions so early in the morning- sorry.
Thanks for the reply... pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.