Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just how bad of mileage can a 1.7 get?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rpmmaxxed
Filled up the other day, and before I had gone 85 miles, I had drained over a 1/4 tank. This is progressively been getting worse since I first got the car. Granted, I had a fuel pump leak about halfway between the time I got the car, and now, but up until the leak, and a few weeks ago, gas mileage has seemed to be getting worse and worse.

I hear stories of people getting 30, 35mpg in their stock 1.7's, I wanna know if I might just be going at life to hard?

I have been driving conservatively alot more than normal, so conserve gas, and it doesnt seem to be helping at all..

Only thing that I can think of is dirty injectors?

Anyone? Shed some light, petty peas...
bd1308
if your using a tank over a long period of time....

lemme tell you how much fuel evaporates in a day.....

i had 6 2gallon gas cans in my 914...and i lost about a 1/2 gallon everyday. ohmy.gif

b
airsix
Round up the usual suspects.

Cyl head temp sensor (when goes bad causes rich condition)
MPS dying
Fuel leaks
dirty injectors
valve lash
worn sparkplugs, dwell/timing, cap/rotor condition
low tire pressure
wrong fuel (too high of octane = inefficient)
low compression
heavy right foot

Could be lots of things. Check the head temp sensor first (because it's easy [check resistance] and a likely suspect).

-Ben M.
SirAndy
QUOTE (rpmmaxxed @ Dec 7 2005, 12:14 AM)
I hear stories of people getting 30, 35mpg in their stock 1.7's, I wanna know if I might just be going at life to hard?

i was beating the crap out of my 1.8L with D-Jet and i was still getting 30+ mpg ...

if you get <20 mpg something is definitely *not* right ...
unsure.gif Andy
Joe Ricard
When I bought my car and drove it from Everrett Wa. to Mississippi I held it down to 80 85 sometimes 90 rolleyes.gif
I was getting 32 MPG. steady state throttle gets better gas milage.
as explained above YOU GOT SUMPIN WRONG MAN.
Now that I got the 2.0L big cammed carbed motor I still got 29 steady state throttle form here to Tampa Fla.
Spoke
On a 100 mile trip of steady high speed driving I got 33+ MPG. Around town I'm heavy on the accelerator and get 18-20 MPG. I'm sure my 1.7L with single carb isn't set up for optimum performance. Merging into traffic with a 71 1.7L requires a foot deep in the gas, and about a 1/4 mile of clear highway.

Spoke
rpmmaxxed
thanks for the replie's fellas.

Gonna look into each possiblity, and attempt to find something to leave me pockets somewhat full...

You people rock.
Andyrew
I get 10 around town if that makes you feel any better...

hehehe
rpmmaxxed
with a V8 behind me, I think I could learn to live with 10mpg happy11.gif
Flat VW
Someone is siphoning your gas at night, or you are bailing gas or something. laugh.gif

It does not seem possible, do you have two trunks full of stones? confused24.gif

How "sweet" does that exhaust smell? stromberg.gif

If the amount of gas going thru that engine is as you think, the vapors must practically "sting one's eyes". shocked[1].gif

John wavey.gif
bd1308
single carb in teh winter on my car...

the car runs so rich yet so lean....i get terrible mileage.......

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.