Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bowlsby and DaveP are going to PUKE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mark Henry
Ohhhhhh lordy

Mike G. just told me the new buyer of his numbers (all) correct LE want's the bumpers, etc., painted black, no script and fuchs.

He's got a sizable deposit paid...it's his...and he's going to fuck up a real nice and correct creamsicle LE.

What a waste. wacko.gif
MoveQik
Does he not know the rarity of what he has or does he just not care?

I can see modifying a car like mine to all sorts of stupid lengths but why buy and pay a premium an LE only to make look like something else?? screwy.gif
balljoint
huh.gif

That's funny (sad). I looked at that car and didn't go for it because "I" don't like the look of the LE Creamsicle, and figured it should go to someone who would love it for what it was.

Mark Henry
It's just had a complete resto and is being put back together.
Totally correct...only had something like 50k on it.

Mike has tried to talk him into a different car...nope he wants that one and he's paying an LE price.
Doesn't care...he wants a white car with black trim.

barf.gif
Mark Henry
This is it at my show last August...brand new paint.
Mark Henry
What it could (SHOULD) have been. sad.gif
Aaron Cox
simple - he can "not sell it" smile.gif

wait for another buyer or just sell it.

i like creamsicles smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Dec 7 2005, 04:18 PM)
nope he wants that one and he's paying an LE price.

who cares if he got money? kick the idiot to the curb ... mad.gif

sell the car to someone who can apprechiate it!
cool_shades.gif Andy
i love porsche
i agree, i wouldnt sell it if someone was going to do that...its really a shame
bd1308
i'll take that car--i'll even drive up in my 914.

I'll trade him my 914 for that shell....

b
TJB/914
That's not the only LE out there what a color change. Here's a local creamsicle car that was painted dark green a number of years ago. I gave Jeff the vin # & we think it's the highest recorded vin# known.

Really beautiful car with lots of modifications (big type-4 motor). The owner does not attend activities and keeps a low profile with the 914 locals.

Tom
SirAndy
QUOTE (Thomas J Bliznik @ Dec 7 2005, 05:40 PM)
The owner does not attend activities and keeps a low profile with the 914 locals.

yeah, they're probably after him with pitch-forks ... poke.gif

dry.gif Andy
Mark Henry
Pretty sure Mike sold it before he knew the guys intentions. He did sell it as an LE...he got more than a regular 914/4 is worth...he thought it was a selling feature.

He’s a dealer…he has a contract…doubt there’s much he can do about it now.

sad.gif

Bleyseng
I prefer the Creamsicle to the BumbleBee as it looks more like the 911 color scheme. Too bad and the buyers an idiot..... chair.gif
TJB/914
Here it is.

Tom
TJB/914
Nuther

Tom
Dave_Darling
Allegedly, there was a Grasshopper that a guy in Texas (I think it was) bought that he immediately had painted all black. He thought the GH color scheme was "ugly", and didn't care about the rarity.

I heard about it something like ten years ago, and it was "way in the past" at that point even.

--DD
Stirlingr
Short sidetrack...my 72 is Willow Green, do y'all consider that code to be worthwile. I was going to change the color, but it is kinda growing on me.
914werke
QUOTE (Thomas J Bliznik @ Dec 7 2005, 05:50 PM)
Nuther

Tom

ohmy.gif yup that would make it the last. Thats just wrong icon8.gif
MattR
He's just painting bumpers and rockers... those can be sprayed red again. No big deal, in my opinion. Yeah, its sorta a waste, but nothing is long gone. Its not original paint, correct? Then it shouldnt matter.
Dead Air
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 7 2005, 03:32 PM)

cool_shades.gif Andy

[QUOTE]
bs.gif

Dude!!
I call bullshit!
I was there, I saw that car, right Mark, remember me? beerchug.gif
Just like Brad or Andy said two days ago about blast media bleeding.
It was all over that car!!
Maybe he wants a driver instead of a show car. Creamscicle is'nt everybody's cup 'o tea! Maybe it's not for resale?
Let the next owner restore it!
Is he paying the "asking price"?
The owner gets to doo what he wants!
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Stirlingr @ Dec 7 2005, 06:48 PM)
Short sidetrack...my 72 is Willow Green, do y'all consider that code to be worthwile. I was going to change the color, but it is kinda growing on me.

wub.gif
dmenche914
Jeez, hope no one gives me crap about lowering my car, low profile tires, non period radio, and other mods that have been made to MY property. I just don't think it is right to call the guy an "idiot" cause he wants different colored bumpers, rockers or what ever. Even if the car were to lose some resale "value' by the color change, that don't make a guy an idiot. heck, just driving a car will lower its value from wear and tear. Should we all demand that he not drive this rare car also, under penalty of being deemed an idiot????

I hope he enjoys the car, and has fun, what ever color he wants it.

Now lets see if this new 914 owner will care to join our internet group here after he's been called an idiot over his plans for the car. Give the guy a break.

If anyone is so concerned about this cars originallity, then make a higher offer and buy it from him. Money will probably talk. Its put up or shut up I think.
Series9
QUOTE (MattR @ Dec 7 2005, 08:29 PM)
He's just painting bumpers and rockers... those can be sprayed red again. No big deal, in my opinion. Yeah, its sorta a waste, but nothing is long gone. Its not original paint, correct? Then it shouldnt matter.

agree.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Dec 7 2005, 10:43 PM)
Its put up or shut up I think.

well, if that was true then you better shut up now and put up with me!
however, somehow i don't believe you'll follow your own advice ... biggrin.gif

yes. i called him an idiot. maybe he's not. maybe he's a nice guy. who knows. do you?

i'm sorry, but if you pay top dollar for an all numbers matching Limited Edition Creamsicle only to take it apart, replace half of the things that can be taken off and repaint it a different color, i'm very much inclined to call you names.

there's literally hundreds of 914s out there for less money that no one will ever care about if they're hacked, molested or blown to bits.
why not get one of those, save a bundle in the process and have all the fun you're looking for.

i just don't get it ...
screwy.gif Andy
bondo
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 8 2005, 12:31 AM)

there's literally hundreds of 914s out there for less money that no one will ever care about if they're hacked, molested or blown to bits.

Are you sure? What about Clay? chairfall.gif
dmenche914
Uh, jeez, lets see, I didn't call him names, nor complain about him, that's the shut up part, the put up part is if you want the car kept original, put up the money and do it. i think i followed my own advice to the letter.

So if you disagree with his choice of color or what ever, that's fine. Just don't be calling him names, (that you admitted you can not be sure of), unless your intention is to diss him, and maybe turn off a new 914 owner from this group.

i think it is better to welcome a new member to the group than diss him so much over his choice for the color of his property. If it is so important to anyone that this car be "saved from an idiot" then go buy it and save it yourself, just don't drive it (at risk of being an idiot???) "Saving" this car is not worth dissing a new 914 owner from our group. I guess you missed what I meant by that statement of put up or shut up.

You admit calling him an idiot, then admit that maybe he's not? I rather give any new 914 owner (and prospective 914 club member) the benefit of a doubt before branding him an idiot. He may be brilliant, and can add a lot to our group.

That's all cut him some slack.
Mark Henry

Dave, of course I remember you and your wife.

The car had been blasted a bit, as it did have some surface rust on the greasy side. But the longs, floors and etc. were all original, nothing was welded on the car.

dmenche914 is right...it's his car. Yep, it would be revesable. But the guy wants to trade Mike outright for the rims.
I guess we can only hope for the best.

BTW this will be the 2nd non-correct LE Mike works on....there's also a local bumble bee with black trim and fuchs.
Dead Air
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Dec 8 2005, 05:22 AM)
Dave, of course I remember you and your wife.

The car had been blasted a bit, as it did have some surface rust on the greasy side. But the longs, floors and etc. were all original, nothing was welded on the car.

dmenche914 is right...it's his car. Yep, it would be revesable. But the guy wants to trade Mike outright for the rims.
I guess we can only hope for the best.

BTW this will be the 2nd non-correct LE Mike works on....there's also a local bumble bee with black trim and fuchs.

[QUOTE]

I knew that you would!! biggrin.gif I still think about what a great weekend we had up there!

Oh, BTW, Nan is the girl friend, the wife lives in Syracuse. It's sort of a touchy subject... wink.gif
djm914-6
hijacked.gif
A few years back, I went to a PCA meet at a local restoration garage. There was an original 911R that was getting a bare metal paint. The Story goes that only one 911R left the factory in a color other than white. This car was a paint to match in gold to match the wife's Cadilac.

The new owner painted it... white.

Mark Henry
QUOTE (Dead Air @ Dec 8 2005, 09:38 AM)

Oh, BTW, Nan is the girl friend, the wife lives in Syracuse. It's sort of a touchy subject... wink.gif

DOH!

wink.gif
Richard Casto
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Dec 7 2005, 10:50 PM)
QUOTE (Stirlingr @ Dec 7 2005, 06:48 PM)
Short sidetrack...my 72 is Willow Green, do y'all consider that code to be worthwile.  I was going to change the color, but it is kinda growing on me.

wub.gif

Prior to buying my car I had fully intended to repaint it in whatever color I wanted. Most likely it was going to be blue or silver. BUT the orginal color was "Irish Green". Had been repainted a bronze color by a PO.

As much as we all like a nice Signal Orange or Tangerine, I think the Green colors are growing on me. So when mine is repainted, it is going back to Irish Green. wub.gif Willow Green looksnice as well
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Dead Air @ Dec 7 2005, 07:41 PM)
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 7 2005, 03:32 PM)

cool_shades.gif Andy

[QUOTE]
bs.gif

Dude!!
I call bullshit!
I was there, I saw that car, right Mark, remember me? beerchug.gif
Just like Brad or Andy said two days ago about blast media bleeding.
It was all over that car!!
Maybe he wants a driver instead of a show car. Creamscicle is'nt everybody's cup 'o tea! Maybe it's not for resale?
Let the next owner restore it!
Is he paying the "asking price"?
The owner gets to doo what he wants!

I disagree....this is why most of the LE cars disappeared long ago...assholes didn't like the color scheme. Bumblebee's were turned into all black cars right off and the others had their bumpers etc painted rattlecan black...

I remember that GH too, DD long ago.

Now that 914's have reached collector status it would be nice if the nice LE examples were kept original.

For the run of the mill rustbuckets, do what you want. dead horse.gif

davep
I guess I've calmed down enough to reply now. Owners can do as they please. I do feel that it is a shame however since the car looks great in the original scheme. There are a lot of other cars that I don't care what changes are made to them. I do like the specials to remain original however.
Rockaria
I can't remember where I heard it, or if there is any proof. But someone told me that some rich guy was having his 959 re-bodied to look like a 993 twin turbo?

Anyone else hear of this?

Andyrew
This is one reason I could never buy an LE or any rare car...

I would want to modify it.. Stock cars are no fun...

Andrew
Mueller
okay, so lets say that the buyer does a full on restore...however, he parks the LE outside with a regular lead-acid battery in a rain prone area that lives near a saltwater coastline with no car cover smile.gif

would you be happier???? biggrin.gif screwy.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Dec 7 2005, 11:58 PM)
...He may be brilliant, and can add a lot to our group...

A brilliant person would actually give a rat's ass about a special edition vehicle...this guy does not.

Yeah, it's his car and he can do as he pleases. Doesn't mean we have to agree with it. It is a pretty public forum and anyone who's spent time here will observe there are many varied opinions that are, indeed, vocalized. My personal opinion? He's an idiot. You can quote me on that. Had he done ANY kind of research he would've found that out and bought a different vehicle if he gave a rat's ass (which he doesn't). He's been informed and insists on his way so if he's not an idiot then he's an asshole (you can append the word "belligerent" if you want). And that means I could care less if he comes here or not. My guess would be that he won't. But it would be interesting to read his "justification" in this illogical act.

And the BS is the line of "you should've bought it if you're so concerned about it" malarky. I've seen that time and again and it's just the ignorant's way of justifying a decision that satisfies themselves and nobody else. Let's see, I have an original Monet painting and I want one billion dollars for it otherwise I'm going to burn it. What? I'm crazy? Burn a priceless masterpiece?...well, if you don't want me to them pay me my money! Oh, you don't have it, well, it's mine and I can do what I want so since nobody will bend to my wishes -- poof! Same logic applies.
Dead Air
Whoa! ohmy.gif

It's just paint, if he leaves the saws all and fiberglass fenders in their boxes It's still an LE !

Let the next owner restore it.
dmenche914
Ok asshole, burn the goddamn painting, if it belongs to you, I could care less about what you do with your stuff. I doubt the guy with the new car will ever join this group after all this stuff about him being an idiot, and asshole for his color choice. How petty can you be? Unless you plan on owning his car, be happy witha photo of it, you can photoshop it to the way you like. Thus you have memory of a perfect LE, that way if you become man enought to ever put your money where your mouth is, you will have a photo to use as a guide in re-restoring this ultra rare car the way you want. By the way, this guy gave more than anyones elses rats ass about the LE, he ponied up the dought to buy it. Maybe he knows damn well what he has, and he don't give a damn about your tastes (which for some reason I suspect only apply to others, I assume your car is not 100% original, which is a safe assumption if you have driven the car. Got NOS tires on your car? how about a factory battery? Damn, dont have that, you must be not too brilliant! Better not drive it either, will reduce resale value.
bd1308
what does caring about a car have anything to do with buying it?

where's that firefox plugin?
Mark Henry
I say we bite our tongues as I can't talk, my car could be made back to a nice original '74 1.8. It would be easy to get it back to CW status.
It 's a signal orange colour change with white trunks. I'm thinking of painting it (minor stuff) BUT it stays orange.
Maybe not a LE, but if anyone told me it has to be white, I’d tell them to stuff it. And the trunks stay white!

It's his car and he obviously was willing to pay the extra money for a nice one. I might not like it, but I think he has every right to have the car he wants.

No use in getting ones panties in a bunch.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Dec 8 2005, 04:25 PM)

No use in getting ones panties in a bunch.

I've heard bunched panties can be quite enjoyable. Specially during a nice bicycle ride...... ohmy.gif
olav
popcorn[1].gif
sjhowitson
can't you just feel the love wub.gif wub.gif
Bleyseng
Feel the love? Nope.

My opinion is the car should be kept in its LE colors and the guys a moron. alfred.gif

popcorn[1].gif

Its kinda stupid like the guy who searched all over for one of the 4 banger sporto cars and cut it up into a trike. All so he could have a semi auto trike....freakin idiot!
Series9
I will never understand the hype over LEs.

It's a 914 with sway bars and a center console. Lots of 914s have sway bars and center consoles.

So you paint the rockers and bumpers in a high contrast color and it's special? huh.gif

"But they made half as many LEs as they did /6s"........ What a load of crap. It's a well-optioned /4, nothing more. Who cares.

Some of you guys are a marketing man's wet dream.

I have a bunch of original bolts from the RS. I should sell them as super rare "RS only" bolts on eBay....
Lou W
914RS Posted on Dec 8 2005, 06:00 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will never understand the hype over LEs.

It's a 914 with sway bars and a center console. Lots of 914s have sway bars and center consoles.

So you paint the rockers and bumpers in a high contrast color and it's special?  

"But they made half as many LEs as they did /6s"........ What a load of crap. It's a well-optioned /4, nothing more. Who cares.

Some of you guys are a marketing man's wet dream.

I have a bunch of original bolts from the RS. I should sell them as super rare "RS only" bolts on eBay....  

agree.gif It's his car, let him do what he wants to it. Lets all welcome him to the club. Now lets talk about a real shame, how about the condition of #4? wacko.gif

blabla914
What he said......

Joe, I'll do you one better and paint the nastly old valence panels I was going to throw in the trash red and put them on ebay as "Orignal LE valence panels". But I suppose my ruse would quickly be exposed as everyone knows how to spot LE valence panels........

Kelly
J P Stein
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Dec 8 2005, 07:37 PM)

My certificate of authenticity says it was one of the "Limited CanAm Package." Those like me who appreciate history, remember the CamAm series and the mighty Porsche 917s. Well the fact that Porsche intended to honor a select number of 914s as special tells me that the LE are unique and worth preserving.

That's why they painted them Sonoco Blue & Yellow, eh?
I can see the connection.....duh, who needs a marketing guy for that? Nuthing like those bogus "Indy Pace Car" Camero, Firebirds, Buicks, Vettes....all those are worth milluns these days. I'm fer it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.