Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All this talk about subies got me wondering...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I haven't heard of any subie powered 914 being sold yet.. Assuming the conversion was reversible, (radiator in engine bay) what do y'all think resale value would be like compared to a stock 914 in similar condition?
Aaron Cox
reversable? just a tad less than a 914 2.0 id guess

irreversable? way less..... maybe more if done right with a renegade cooling kit....

and...it all depends on buyer
Joe Ricard
I agree it depends on the buyer.
If I were looking for a something Mod autocross car. then a Subie STI transplant would make sense.
Looks wouldn't be important but it better be fast!
anthony
I think it would be on par with V8 conversion selling prices.

Personally, I've never seen a Suburu conversion done right. By that I mean, nice paint, nice interior, maybe flares, possibly LSD, suspension, and a super clean engine install. All of the ones I've seen looked like hack jobs. I'm sure any conversion done right will cost the builder $15-20K+.

MecGen
[possibly LSD]

Explain please
ph34r.gif
Mark Henry
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds…..acid man…far out

Limited Slip Differential smile.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (bondo @ Dec 7 2005, 04:14 PM)
I haven't heard of any subie powered 914 being sold yet.. Assuming the conversion was reversible, (radiator in engine bay) what do y'all think resale value would be like compared to a stock 914 in similar condition?

Tough to say...as a suby converted car, it's limited market of those that want one, and then the market is going to be even smaller for those that'll pay the price one is asking unless it's a total bargin.

Even with the radiator mounted up front, it should be able to be reversable if one wants to go back to air-cooled....people are welding all the time on thier 914s to fix rust or repair the hole in the front floor due to a dealer installed A/C unit.

jonwatts
I don't see why it would be too different than most other conversions like Malm's 300zx powered 914. You come up with a number that factor's in how much power it makes, how well the work was done, how expensive replacement parts are, and you go from there.

I think the potential exists to lose as much money on a well done conversion as on a well restored original av-943.gif
airsix
You can choose between preserving it for a future owner or building what YOU want.

I have another car that I can't even bring myself to THINK about modifying because I know I will eventually sell it.

My 914? I dream up improvements and modifications on daily basis. Why? Because I doubt I'll ever sell it. It's for me. I'm not trying to prepare/preserve it for someone else. I do to it what pleases me, not what I feel will please a future prospective buyer.

You just have to ask the question "Who will own this car in 5-10 years? Me or someone else?" If the answer is 'you' then I say do what you want to get the most enjoyment out of it.

-Ben M.
WRX914
QUOTE (anthony @ Dec 7 2005, 04:37 PM)
I think it would be on par with V8 conversion selling prices.

Personally, I've never seen a Suburu conversion done right. By that I mean, nice paint, nice interior, maybe flares, possibly LSD, suspension, and a super clean engine install. All of the ones I've seen looked like hack jobs. I'm sure any conversion done right will cost the builder $15-20K+.

Ohhhh just wait until my teener is complete!

Can not wait to post my complete progress thread... smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.