Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driving school
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimtab
I think I will be getting a "bonus" from work this year and I have pretty much decided to spend some on fixing the slowest part in my car's drive train....ME, the driver....it has occured to me (not just now...) that fast drivers are even fast in slow cars....soooooo...who's school is the best? I'd love to do it at Laguna because it's my favorite track in the US, but I don't know how Russell's school is "rated". So, all you speed racers who didn't just fall out of the crib knowing how to hit an apex and who got some schooliing...talk to me....Thanks...Jim driving.gif
Bruce Allert
We're on the same thought process Jim. I asked Santa for a driving school at PIR... might get it confused24.gif might not. Just wanna keep from runnin over curbs headbang.gif

.....b
MoveQik
My wife drives really fast and she goes to driving school all the time. I'll see if I can get the name of the place. lol2.gif
Demick
Jim

Check out Coastal driving school

http://www.coastaldriving.org/

And of course GGR PCA

http://www.pca-ggr.org/

Demick

DanT
Jim , as Demick has pointed out CDS or GGR have some great ways to improve your performance driving skills.
I suggest you avail yourself of what these groups have to offer before you look into the expensive schools.

I have instructed in GGR for ~15 years now and have also instructed with CDS.
Both groups are Porsche centric. You will get instruction from fellow Porsche drivers who are some of the best incar instructors on the west coast....Period!
Much cheaper than Russel etc.
I have had many students over the years tell me they got more from a day with a GGR event than one of the private (expensive) schools.
You will be instructed in your car, not some openwheel Formula Ford, or Dodge Neon etc.

You can get to any GGr AX and get good instruction or go for a GGR HSDS and receive instruction all day on the track.
Next step would be CDS for a little more freedom.
Next would be back to GGR for Time trial. Instruction is available or mandatory at all of these events. (depending on your skill and event)
biggrin.gif smilie_pokal.gif
kdfoust
Depends on what your goals are. If you want to become a competitive AXer find a Evolution Driving School near you. It WILL make a big difference in your AX driving.

I've been to the Russell traveling version at Willow Springs and would rate that as pretty low value. There wasn't much for skills development. If you already had some skills you'd learn the line. Maybe the Russell school is better at Laguna.

Later,
Kevin
bryanc
AFAIK, Russell is at Sears Point (err... Infineon), now.

I went to Russell in 1994 when they were at Laguna and the three day course was great for me.
PatW
QUOTE (jimtab @ Dec 7 2005, 08:32 PM)
So, all you speed racers who didn't just fall out of the crib knowing how to hit an apex and who got some schooliing...talk to me....Thanks...Jim driving.gif

I've done Skip Barber, two-day and car control clinic at Laguna. Broke a lot of bad habits and learned many new ones. I'd rate the wet skidpad in a dakota pickup a great excersize. wacko.gif I think Grant has done the three-day with Russell at Sears unsure.gif But, I agree with Dan; looking back I think I would had more fun and spent a lot less money If would have spent more time with the GGR folks. However; I really had a blast driving the open-wheel formula car at Barber.

BTW: Barber has Vipers at Laguna too biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.