Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a front spoiler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
db9146
Years ago (more than 10), I was in LA on a business trip and was wondering around some Porsche shops while I had a little time. I saw a 914 that had an FG front bumper/spoiler assembly that I really liked but I couldn't find out who was making them. It looked a little like the front of this car in that there was an opening (rectangular) for the air cooler with another smaller opening to either side for brake cooling. It looked a little like it was using a '75-'76 bumper shape as a "base" for the bumper/spoiler.

Anybody know what I'm talking about or who might have built it?
groot
I'm in the process of getting a mold built for a Carbon fiber front end piece.

It will be SCCA production legal and have the bumper, air dam and splitter integrated as one piece. It will be strong and light, but the splitter will extend only to the edge of the bumper (as seen from the top) due to the rules in production.

It will also have brake duct openings and the option of the square duct for the oil cooler (I won't use it, but other's may want to).

Anyway, the first piece will be ready for my car in March or so. If you're interested in another one, we could talk about pulling another part off of the tool. The splitter could be adjusted to your rules, if needed.
seanery
How's this?

Rennspeed's IMSA bumper
user posted image
db9146
It was close to the Rennspeed IMSA bumper but w/o the two big light boxes on either side....I'm not sure how that would look with stock steel flares. Seems that you would need a different shape flare to go with it.
VegasRacer
Check out this old thread for more info on IMSA fiberglass bumpers.
Brando
Re-design one that makes the front end like an upside-down wing.

Bernoulli's Principle smile.gif
davec
Kevin, do you have any pictures or drawings of what your nose is going to look like?
smrz914
there is this one from Renegade Hybrids

user posted image
Jeroen
QUOTE (smrz914 @ Dec 9 2005, 04:15 AM)
there is this one from Renegade Hybrids

user posted image

That one is from Fiberwerks...
smrz914
So Renegade just resells it I guess
Andyrew
Yup...

and puts a $10 mark up...

I emailed them about it a while ago...

Im going to use that bumper for my car. (sometime... lol)
maf914
QUOTE (davec @ Dec 8 2005, 05:39 PM)
Kevin, do you have any pictures or drawings of what your nose is going to look like?

Kevin, I might be interested also. Will it be based on the early bumper shape or the later rubber bumper shape? Will it be too low for street use? Some of the racer oriented dams are just too much for a street car, IMHO. Keep us informed. biggrin.gif
groot
I'm really working on this for my race car, so if it works for you guys, great.

I'm using a stock steel bumper without the upper rubber piece to allow better flow into my headlight ducts, but a smooth transition to the hood and turn signals. I'm also using the pictured air dam, but with some modifications. Then the splitter will be attached to the bottom of that... with enough beef to stay together if any offroad excursion occur.

I'm trying to prevent airflow underneath the vehicle and not increase front downforce too much... I don't need it.

All carbon and kevlar. Weight estimate of the front end (bumper and air dam) is about 4 pounds and "strong enough to punt a Miata". The splitter will add another couple of pounds.

One piece and removable to put it on the trailer. It will not incorporate the factory mounting, but one could use them to attach the front end with an intermediate bracket.

It'll be about $400 for the front end and the splitter would be another $300, but you would not need that if you wanted to save a few bucks. I'm getting the front end for less, but I'm footing the bill for the mold.
race914
Have you seen the front bumber/spoiler from fiberwerks?

http://www.fiberwerks.com/prod01.htm

It seems similar..
Rand
That's the one smrz914, jeroen, and andyrew were talking about. Made by Fiberwerks, also sold by Renegade. I like it.
db9146
I finally found the picture of the front end from years ago. I liked it because of the center section of openings. I had scribbled a note on the back "Topper Chasse".

Does this look like any front end anyone else has seen? Still being made?
seanery
Yup,
that's from AIR....pic coming
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (seanery @ Dec 21 2005, 09:14 PM)
Yup,

"SCCA" style kit. also heard it called the baker racing kit
Jeroen
QUOTE (seanery @ Dec 22 2005, 05:14 AM)
Yup,

agree.gif
part of their wide body kit
Aaron Cox
user posted image
seanery
They don't have any good pics of it on their website, but here's one:
user posted image

INFO AVAILABLE HERE

***damn...too slow***
Jeroen
same car, front pic...
Aaron Cox
not as nice as a sheridan... but i like it none the less.....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.