Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to remove brake fluid?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
I want to take the suspension and brakes off my tub to make it easier to get out all the underbody "rust proofer". Also, I want to clean up the the suspension parts.

What is the best way to drain out the brake fluid? At this point, the pedal cluster is out of the car. Actually, everyhting is out of the car except the suspension and brakes.

Are there bits that I want to remove as a group to avoid damage? Are there bits that I just need to plan on replacing now once they are out?

Thanks
Zach
Dave_Darling
Use a turkey baster to suck the fluid out of the reservoir. (Caution--don't ever use it for food after you do this!!!)

Open up the bleeder valves in the brakes and let them drip, I guess. If the pedal cluster was still on the car, you could use the pedal to pump out the fluid. Of course, you'd wind up with air in the master cylinder, which is a bitch to get out...

If you have a Mity Vac hand vacuum pump, you can use it to suck the fluid out of the reservoir, and out of the calipers.

--DD
Dr. Roger
brake fluid is both a strong acid and also water soluable.

just drain it into something acid proof and then dispose of it and rinse out somewhere safe with lots of water.

two minutes on your skin and it starts to eat it away. happy11.gif happy11.gif
double-a
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Dec 8 2005, 11:21 AM)
two minutes on your skin and it starts to eat it away. happy11.gif happy11.gif

or two minutes on your paint, same result biggrin.gif

~a
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.