Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 For Towing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Recently I've been pondering my need for a vehicle to tow my projects around and I got to wondering what it would take to make a 914 into a tow vehicle. All I could come up with was a big torquey engine and a hitch which would probably have to be attached at the firewall since there's not much back at the end of the cars. Stiffer springs? Regeared transmission? Hopefully some of you with some tow capability experience can lend me some knowledge. Let's play with the idea. laugh.gif
EdwardBlume
What and how much weight are you towing? I've seen a couple of AX trailers towed by a 914 - one by a custom bolt on hitch (where the rear bumper was), or by attaching a hitch to four points underneath the car.
McMark
I was thinking a full trailer for putting a car up on as well as the car itself (of course). But could you make a seriously heavy duty tow vehicle out of a 914? VW busses are supposed to be able to tow large loads.
VegasRacer
All you need to tow with a 914 is to relocate the mirrors to the front fender.
EdwardBlume
I'm sure it can be done, but you're going for a swim in untested waters. Would it be worth blowing a motor, twisting a frame, or the prep needed to make it work?

IMO.Nice idea. Buy an old chevy.
seanery
look at the passenger front tire.

It's almost lifting!
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(seanery @ Aug 21 2003, 04:46 AM)
look at the passenger front tire.

It's almost lifting!

Better put some sang bags in the front trunk if you want to be able to steer while going down the highway blink.gif
seanery
I hauled an Olds 455 engine in the back of my 1980 VW Truck once.
It was hilarious, every expansion joint on the freeway caused the front (drive) wheels to lift!

To be young and stupid again!
JWest
I'm not too experienced at towing stuff, but aren't there some guidelines about the weight of the tow vehicle vs. what is being towed?
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(James Adams @ Aug 21 2003, 04:55 AM)
I'm not too experienced at towing stuff, but aren't there some guidelines about the weight of the tow vehicle vs. what is being towed?

If so, what would URY914's car be able to tow blink.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Aug 21 2003, 05:59 AM)
QUOTE(James Adams @ Aug 21 2003, 04:55 AM)

If so, what would URY914's car be able to tow blink.gif

helium balloons - and just a few ...
cha914
I don't think there is any way you are towing a car with a 914...sure you could do it, but you would end up with a 914 that looked like a truck, sounded like a truck, and drove like a truck. Cause you would need a v8, a heavy duty tranny (maybe a vw Bus tranny would work?) and a lift with stiff springs, and then you would have to add huge tires, wheels, brakes, and reinforce the whole rear of the car.

It could be a fun project, but I would suggest starting with a basket case, or one that has been hit in the rear, cause you are going to have to redo that whole end anyway.

It would be much easier to start with some american iron, or maybe a big merc (if you wanna stick with a german car) for a tow vehicle...

good luck,

Tony
boxstr
By removing the rear bumper on a 75-76 914 you are looking at a built in tow assembly. Just bolt on a tow bar and take a test drive to make sure those bumper shocks don't pop out and there you go.
CCLINUHAULTOWN
McMark
It would just be too funny to have a meaty tow sports car. If I did it someday I'd make a tow only 914 and do all the crazy stuff to it. It'd be a fun project and the results would be hilarious. I'd love to see a 914 that's been lifted with big knobby tires. lol2.gif But I think I could get away with a stock engine and stock transmission (different gears). You'd never look at a 914 the same way after seeing the 914 tow truck.
clap56.gif
Curvie Roadlover
I'm not so sure that's a good idea, CC. Those 5 mph shocks are designed to take a "push" not a "pull" load. Seems like asking for trouble to attach anything but the rear bumper to those.
boxstr
This is a 914 for towing, or is that for towing 914.
CCLINTOWDOLLYTOWN
Curvie Roadlover
So are you suggesting that to tow a jeep you should attach it to your front tires and tow it in reverse?
boxstr
You may be correct on the "push pull" thing. There was a post on the list sometime back and a 914 owner was going to install the 75-76 shocks on the front so he could pull his car. Like I wrote, road test first and see if it works?? If not secure the shocks so they stay in placemeaning no "push pull". Seems like a pretty beefy area to secure to.
CCLINUHAULVILE
boxstr
Better gear ratio and torque from the 914.
CCLINSPEEDSTOWING
Lawrence
Mike Z had a tow hitch fabbed into the Rocket, once upon a time. Maybe he'll chime in.
URY914
Here is the best way to tow a 914...

And stop crackin' on my car! It can tow what ever it likes. It just doesn't feel like towing very much right now.

Paul
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 21 2003, 03:52 PM)

make d&mn sure your top latches are in REAL GOOD shape...
Lawrence
Rich beat me to it.

That's NOT the best way to tow a 914. Count yourself VERY lucky. ohmy.gif

The wind can catch the targa top, or the rear trunk lid lip... the results are ugly. I suppose that if the rear window wasn't very secure, there's potential for damage there, too.

Your car.. do what you like. But if it were MY car....

-Rusty smoke.gif
URY914
Hey, back off-it wasn't my car in the picture. I didn't tow it like that-I just took the f---king picture. bootyshake.gif

This entire topic got turned around. Somehow it went from towing WITH a 914 to towing A 914.

And towing WITH a 914 is pretty stupid IMO. Are you going to bolt a hitch to the bumper? You better use some big ass washers 'cause the bolts will pull right through. The forces that are placed on the hitch and ball will be too much. If you hit the brakes the trailer will be hitting you in the back of the head. Pull away from that light and check your mirror to see you bumper in the street.

Get real.

Paul
McMark
I was thinking of welding a hitch to the firewall. Of course hooking a hitch to the bumper mounts would be stupid. blink.gif Anyway, this is just armchair engineering. I'm not actually building a car. Just thinkin'.
URY914
Firewall?
McMark
The wall between the people and the engine. I'm pretty sure that's the loose definition. I realize it's a long way back from the rear of the car, but it's really the only part of the "frame" that's accessible.
redshift
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 21 2003, 07:52 PM)

And stop crackin' on my car! It can tow what ever it likes. It just doesn't feel like towing very much right now.

Paul

OH MY GOD THOSE OVERRIDERS ARE BEAUTIFUL!!

I won't puncture the bumpers I have now though... probably.

Oh, by the way, your car can tow a whole 914, offset by THE ONE IT LOST!!

wavey.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.