Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - 93 subaru legacy motor ???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cha914
Since it seems that this board is quickly becoming a subaru board, I thought I would ask my question here before I went over to the other subaru boards...

My wifes car is a 93 legacy wagon 2.2L N/A - motor still runs great, even after 240K. Wife is getting a new car in a month or to and the legacy will become my daily driver.

Now the question. It has developed a healty rear main seal leak (1qt per month at least and growing), and its about time for timing belt etc...I have always had the itch to chunk a turbo motor in this thing to make it a nice sleeper, but I don't want another long term project and I don't have alot of cash to be throwing at another car ... so...

Pull the motor, repair the leaks, do a belt and water pump, and drive the car for another 100+k as is and don't worry about it...oh and any good online places to look for quality subaru parts???

or

Grab a 2.2T motor from the same era and slap that in - from what I have read it should have around 180hp stock, cost less than 1K and be a pretty easy swap, right? I read that wiring is plug and play and all I will need is the ecu from the turbo motor, exhaust and I will be good to go???

or

Grab a wrx motor to slap in there??? I would love more power but how much more of a headache will it be? The car is an awd auto trans, will that handle 200+hp?

So, lets say you have 1.5K, and at most two weeks, what would you do? Also I live in austin, tx...so not a huge subaru following here, so I can't just jot down to the nearest recycler and pick up a 5k mile sti motor for 900bucks like all you other subaru guy seem to be able to do wacko.gif However, I am pretty good with a wrench, and I will have access to a full shop with lifts, welders, etc...

Anyway, any and all feedback is appreciated,

Tony driving.gif smash.gif beer.gif
TonyAKAVW
This question is probably best answered on the NASIOC forum...

http://www.nasioc.com

Or, under the conversion forum here:

conversions

Probably 50 guys who've done the same thinking you have smile.gif

-Tony

cha914
Tony,

Yeah, I have read through a bunch of those already...just thought I would get the opinion here, since there does seem to be some crack subaru guys on here now...

Thanks

Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.