Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trialing arm bearing clearance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Question for those of you that have converted to Carrera axels ( my -85 / 915 trans)-

Do you have ‘any’ excess movement between the rear trailing arm bearing and the out side hub.
Another way to ask this question is- if you lift / jack up the rear of car, can you ‘rock’ the rear tire side to side or up and down 1 mm or more.

Mine does that even with new rear trialing arm bearings.
ANY suggestions or is this normal – which I do not believe.

Thank you!

dry.gif
joea9146
I do not have that setup u descibe, but there should be no movement.
One other thing to check is make sure it is not worn out control arm bushings that are giving you the movement.
Joe,

I have new bearings..that's what driving me crazy sad.gif
sj914
Those carrera axles are too short. There shouldn't be any movement of the hub in the bearing as you described.

What year hub and stubs are you using? The reason I ask is that iirc the later hubs are too long and require a spacer other wise the bearing will not be supported from both sides and might get reamed by the hub assembly.

So, what your saying is that the inside portion of the axles are not supported?
I had longer axles made..so they will have the necessary movements.

The rear hubs are 993 rear hats.

Still stumped. sad.gif
sj914
Are the stub axles supporting the inside race of the bearing? Is the hub bearing surface riding along the inner race of the bearing? If it's not that could contribute to the way the bearing gets supported. if you look at the inner race of the bearings (the part that the hub gets pressed into) you'll see that it's actually two halves and if you don't sandwich them together with the hub and stub axle it might wear that inner race loose.

I'm not sure of the 993 hubs. I don't think I've seen those before.

One thiing you might want to check is pull the axles and look inside the trailing are and see if the hub bearing surface is protruding past the bearing. If it is then it is too long and you've got no support for that side of the bearing, because the stubs aren't supporting that side.
Thanks for the suggestions. I was afraid of this. sad.gif
andys
I'm assuming the bearing pressed into the trailing arm bearing bore. If not, then perhaps the bearing bore is worn, and the trailing arm requires repair/replacement.The Carrera axle was designed around a larger bearing than that used in a 914. The later 911, and the Carrera uses a #513180 bearing (42mm id x 80mm od x 42mm w), and the 914 uses a #513106 bearing (42mm x 75mm x 37mm), or 5mm narrower. The Carrera axle is for a 5mm wider bearing, and requires a spacer washer to keep from having some axial play (in and out when you pull and push on the wheel).

Andys
Eric_Shea
Are the stub axles supporting the inside race of the bearing? Is the hub bearing surface riding along the inner race of the bearing? If it's not that could contribute to the way the bearing gets supported. if you look at the inner race of the bearings (the part that the hub gets pressed into) you'll see that it's actually two halves and if you don't sandwich them together with the hub and stub axle it might wear that inner race loose.

agree.gif

If I'm reading this right... you've got 993 hubs pulled into 914 bearings, then you're using 993 stub axles with special length axles?

If so, I'd say your hub sticks out of the back of your 914 bearing by about 5mm and the stub axle isn't properly sandwiching the bearing.

That's my guess after installing way to may 914 hubs into 914 bearings. I know the shaft length isn't the same and I know the stub axle should sandwich the hub and bearing in place.

I agree again with the advice. Pull the stub axle and have a look at the backside of the bearing. The hub is probably too long.
Eric and Andys,

Your advice was the exact thing I was questioning in my mind last weekend.

To all that chimed in- THANK YOU for supporting my suspicion

wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.