Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Covering new paint during assembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Marv's3.6six
What has everyone done here to protect fresh, new, soft, out gassing paint during assembly. Opinions & ideas wanted. huh.gif
sj914
Don't know I'd like to know that too.

popcorn[1].gif
brant
lots of blue tape and soft throw towels
lots of care

(and an expectation that there will be at least one nick or scratch somewhere)

brant
bondo
How long do you have to wait for it to toughen up? Patientce may be the best method if it doesn't take TOO long. smile.gif
McMark
Green masking tape should be safe on any paint that's cured for a few days in the warmth or a week or so in he cold.
Katmanken
I know two ways...

For some paints, ya just wait for them to dry. After all that work and time to get the car painted, it's a shame to screw it up.

Another way is to use catalyzed paints.... They dry faster (catalyze) and can be assembled sooner. Catalyzed paints are usually nasty (as in poisonous) and should be used with great care. If I catalyze, it sits outside for a few days!

Ken
Marv's3.6six
Tub was painted over a month ago and has been sitting in an enclosed trailer in So Cal there have been a hand full of 80-90 degree days. Has it cured enough to tape or plastic over ?????????????

McMark,Green masking tape should be safe

brant, lots of blue tape and soft throw towels

Which tape to use?

Thanx
Marv
brant
when you go to buy the tape...
look inside the roll.

I know home depot sells 2 or 3 different "tackiness" blue
I've seen green that was even more sticky than blue.

I'd suggest using the least sticky.
If the tape says that its safe for 21 days, then my interpretation is that it can safely be pulled off, and is less tacky than a 3 day tape.

of course when we were masking and reassembling, we even used some regular old masking tape... Although I think blue or special less tacky tape is a safer bet.

Here is a reassembly pic with tape still on our door:
Porsche Rescue
I want that car.......I'll even remove the tape myself.
brant
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Dec 9 2005, 01:32 PM)
I want that car.......I'll even remove the tape myself.

ha..... (but thank you)

it aint quite as pretty or shiney any longer..
a few more scratches and rock chips from racing.
brant
r_towle
fleese blankets.

Rich
Gint
I just left my painted tub in the garage untouched for the last... oh... 8 months now.

Think it's ready for reassembly yet?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Gint @ Dec 9 2005, 09:54 PM)
I just left my painted tub in the garage untouched for the last... oh... 8 months now.

why the wait?
Gint
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 9 2005, 10:01 PM)
QUOTE (Gint @ Dec 9 2005, 09:54 PM)

why the wait?

Don't feel like it...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.