Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: six install tech info needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
i woul like to know which lines need to be run from the stock 914-6 oil tank ...
there are two lines in question the ones at the bottom of the tank...one inside the engine compartment. and secondly the one inside the fenderwell....which one goes where?? i have a feeling i don't want to make a mistake with this!
thirdly the line from the from the engine mounted oil cooler...where does the oil go from here....
and forthly the line from the diver side of the engine...where should i run that line to???
thanks guys biggrin.gif
Trekkor
No problem!

The lower fitting under the oil filter is oil return from the side of the engine case. ( passenger side under oil return tubes. )

The fitting in the fender well goes to the oil cooler mounted fitting on the motor. ( oil supply )

KT
Porsche Rescue
If this is a new conversion you will need to drill a hole for the line from the engine case (pass. side) in order to get it to the fitting on the tank (connection in the engine compartment)
Porsche Rescue
Another
IronHillRestorations
I'm sure it works OK, but I wouldn't modify the hard oil line like the picture. I would cut it off before the 90 bend, and route the flex line over the engine mount. It's too low for my liking.
sixnotfour
agree.gif
Porsche Rescue
Now you tell me! I ain't gonna hit no big rocks on the AX course. And if I do, I know where to find the guy to fix it! biggrin.gif
pete-stevers
bump
davec
OK, when are you gonna ask the "is there gonna be enough cooling with the stock oil cooler" question? popcorn[1].gif
J P Stein
The run, my way.
J P Stein
Continuation....and older pic.
J P Stein
THE END
J P Stein
THE START... biggrin.gif Just found this. 9o deg pointed aft
Porsche Rescue
Hell, that's at least a half-inch higher than mine! I thought yours went over the top of the shift rod.
J P Stein
The bottom of the hose is about even with the bottom of the pan. Going over the bar is problematical. There's too much stuff in the way that the line could rub against....like brake lines. Stuff rubbing against braided line looses the battle.
East coaster
Don't know if this will help..........but it can't hurt!

IronHillRestorations
I've routed them over the top of the Johnson mount, using padded hose brackets, onto the big bolts that secure the mount to the firewall. It's a straight shot from the hole in the left side engine shelf all the way across the lower firewall.
J P Stein
QUOTE (9146986 @ Dec 10 2005, 04:00 PM)
I've routed them over the top of the Johnson mount, using padded hose brackets, onto the big bolts that secure the mount to the firewall. It's a straight shot from the hole in the left side engine shelf all the way across the lower firewall.

Humm.....that would be doable. That would give the leaking oil a free shot to the ground rather than dripping on my pretty hose. I'll look at that when this motor scatters biggrin.gif
davec
Danger, danger Will Robinson!!!! This is the picture from the 914-6 book that I originally used to hook up my first 2.0s six a few years back. As you can see, the diagram is backwards. Don't hook it up that way, you'll fry bearings. They do, however, make a cute screaming sound, right Mike D?.
J P Stein
The oil flow directions are right & to the right places....the tank is the problem....kinda backasswards....or is that assbackwards?

Can't hurt, eh? biggrin.gif
McMark
That picture is very confusing. You have to know what you're looking for/at or look at it VERY VERY carefully in order to correctly read the information. The fittings on the bottom of the tank in the picture are reversed from the ones on a stock 914-6 tank.
sixnotfour
914-6
East coaster
Thanks for pointing out the problem with that diagram. I snagged it a couple years ago when first contemplating a six conversion and I had planned on using it for a reference when I get ready to run my lines. It was the first decent diagram I ever found of how to run the lines...........Sux that it's wrong! headbang.gif

Somebody photoshop it to be correct?????
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (East coaster @ Dec 11 2005, 04:38 AM)
Thanks for pointing out the problem with that diagram. I snagged it a couple years ago when first contemplating a six conversion and I had planned on using it for a reference when I get ready to run my lines. It was the first decent diagram I ever found of how to run the lines...........Sux that it's wrong! headbang.gif

Somebody photoshop it to be correct?????

The diagram in Jeff's post is correct.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (davec @ Dec 10 2005, 09:18 PM)
Danger, danger Will Robinson!!!! This is the picture from the 914-6 book that I originally used to hook up my first 2.0s six a few years back. As you can see, the diagram is backwards. Don't hook it up that way, you'll fry bearings. They do, however, make a cute screaming sound, right Mike D?.

The problem with that diagram is it's for a 911, not 914-6
brant
that diagram threw me for a loop...
the answer to the original question has already been provided.
the line that comes from the bottom of the tank (outside of the engine bay) goes to the oil inlet suction pipe attatched to the motor cooler.

Here is a pic that nearly shows the whole line:
davec
No, that's a real 914/6 drawing, taken directly from a 914/6 shop manual. Ask me how I know, but it will bring back painful memories.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.