Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front struts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
So if I want to get the 3.5 inch spacing what year struts do I need to be on the look out for? And what ones will work with the 1971 vintage front end that is in the car? Or does any one have a line on a set of spindles cheap and I will put them on the struts I have sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif
spare time toys
icon_bump.gif anyone confused24.gif
914werke
whats the goal 5 lug or vented brakes?
Mueller
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Dec 9 2005, 03:51 PM)
So if I want to get the 3.5 inch spacing what year struts do I need to be on the look out for? And what ones will work with the 1971 vintage front end that is in the car? Or does any one have a line on a set of spindles cheap and I will put them on the struts I have sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif

don't quote me, but I want to say '84 to '89 is what you want.....

if someone has "just" the spindles for sale, something has got to be wrong with them smile.gif

one does not normally remove the spindles from the struts on purpose..............
spare time toys
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Dec 9 2005, 08:21 PM)
whats the goal 5 lug or vented brakes?

Get rid of the adaptors and big ol vented brakes. I got 5 lug hubs but Clay said because of bearing issues they dont work on 4 lug front ends.
Eric_Shea
67-69 911S Struts will fit with your early ball joints.

911's switched to the new style ball joints 2 years prior to the 914.

911S Front ends use the 3.5" spacing. Your hubs "should" fit. Not all 911 hubs are created equal. Do you know what year your hubs are? Hubs for early non-S cars with solid rotors will not work in this application.
spare time toys
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Dec 9 2005, 08:57 PM)
Hubs for early non-S cars with solid rotors will not work in this application.

This could be a problem. Ill know when they get here but they had solid rotors on them.
Eric_Shea
Hate to be the one but... pretty much useless. sad.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Dec 9 2005, 09:28 PM)
Hate to be the one but... pretty much useless. sad.gif

OH Well it is only money .... right headbang.gif
Eric_Shea
I know the feeling. You should be able to sell them. I sold a set on eBay for around $50.00.

The problem is, when they went to a vented rotor they spaced out the front caliper by 7mm. They had to move the center of the rotor out by roughly 1/2 that distance. So... if you put a set side-by-side on the table you'd see the later hub has a higher (further out) rotor mounting surface.

Good luck with it.
Eric_Shea
One other thang...

If it plays out that way, just sell those and find an "S" front end that has the hubs included. Don't worry too much about the year. Ball joints are interchangable. If you find a good S front end at a good price... buy it.
Bigbohr
Couldn't you get struts & spindles from a '78-'89 911, and a set of new later ball joints? I thought the A-arms were the same for all 914 vintages.
These later 911 struts may be easier to find than 67-69 S stuff, and it may be a good idea to change out them ball jts anyway.
Get the rotors too if they're still in good shape, and you can buy the 911 calipers with it, or get a set of '86 944 turbo calipers. I think with these 944 turbo calipers you still got to use the 911 rotors but I'm not 100% sure about that.
Eric_Shea
Yup... you could do that too.

But, with any of those struts, I'd recommend sticking with an A or S-Caliper max, otherwise you'll be into big buck land trying to get a parking brake and a rear brake caliper to match.
Bigbohr
Yes, I was only talking about the front. The turbo calps will cost u bout 200. The A calipers you'll get nearly for free with the struts.
spare time toys
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Dec 9 2005, 09:36 PM)
The problem is, when they went to a vented rotor they spaced out the front caliper by 7mm. They had to move the center of the rotor out by roughly 1/2 that distance. So... if you put a set side-by-side on the table you'd see the later hub has a higher (further out) rotor mounting surface.

Good luck with it.

OK just a thought why couldnt I make a spacer that moves the rotor off the hub the 3.5 mm? Whats a good price for a pair of 75 struts with Bils. in them? I have found a pair with the 3.5" spacing? No hubs just struts and the spind.
Eric_Shea
why couldnt I make a spacer that moves the rotor off the hub the 3.5 mm?

Cause you'd be moving it the wrong way wink.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Dec 10 2005, 08:07 PM)
why couldnt I make a spacer that moves the rotor off the hub the 3.5 mm?

Cause you'd be moving it the wrong way wink.gif

idea.gif I dont understand confused24.gif If the later hub is thicker than the early ones and I put a spacer between the hub and the rotor to simulate the extra hub thickness how does that move it the wrong way? Isnt the distance of the rotor face to the back edge of the hub the distance I need to be concerned about? Or do I have it wrong and the older hubs are thicker when placed next to the newer style? wacko.gif
ClayPerrine
On a 911, the rotor mounts on the inside of the hub. So putting a spacer on will move it in inboard, which is the wrong direction.

IIRC, if you want to use boxster monoblocks, Rich Johnson sells adapters for both the 3.5 and the 3 inch spacing for the front calipers. You would just need the correct hub (vented 911 hub) and rotor (911 carrera).

spare time toys
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Dec 11 2005, 09:47 AM)
On a 911, the rotor mounts on the inside of the hub.

Now I get it slap.gif I was thinking like on the suburban where it hangs on the wheel studs. Clay when the stuff I got shows up Ill bring it past and have you help me figure out is it will work or if it is items for next spring at Zims lol2.gif
Eric_Shea
Cypher quick gents... there's an interesting solution in the classifieds. wink.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Dec 11 2005, 10:50 AM)
Cypher quick gents... there's an interesting solution in the classifieds. wink.gif

I go Christmas shoping with the kids and I get back just a little too late slap.gif . But good news SLITS has a deal that I am just holding off to hear from my ZEN MASTER Clay pray.gif as to just how much I need then I will be set. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.