Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Cell Phone Companies Are
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
headbang.gif Yack.gif chair.gif ARRRRRGH

Ever since SPRINT bought NexTel I've been getting nothing but bullshit with my cell service. For the past 5 years I've sent payments a week ahead as always, never had any hiccups or problems.

Last month after SPRINT shortly purchased Nextel for their network, I had to start a new plan or pay over $200 for a new phone. I take the cheaper route (new plan, contract, service and number) and get a free phone. I receive my first bill, $109 including service and setup fees. I send in a check on the 28th of November, well before my due date of December 10th. They just credited my account today for that amount -- over a week later! The check was actually cashed on the 2nd of December -- says my bank. This delay in their crediting my account results in my current balance on the account to exceed the undisclosed spending limit on my account. Spending limit? WTF? In my previous 5 years of Nextel service there never was a spending limit on any phone. I use my phone, go over my minutes I send a check and BAM it's done... none of this "We're disconnecting you for going over a set amount." Where did that come from?

I spend roughly an hour on the phone with Customer Service (now an oxy-moron as skline will tell you). I start with account finances -- why? -- I can't do anything until I pay off part of the balance that's there. Fine, here's next month's payment, get me someone who can rectify this spending limit deal. I get transferred to someone in... cancellations? What the crap is that? The person in that department actually gave me usable info.

Me: "Why is there a spending limit?
CSR2: Your credit has determined that will be your spending limit."
Me: "Can you change anything? There should not be a limit as when I started my service plan and contract there was no mention whatsoever about a spending limit determined by my credit. In fact, at my local Nextel store they just swiped my credit card, told me I was pre-approved for $0 deposit, three lines and no other limitations."
CSR2: "I'm sorry you're frustrated but they should have explained that to you fully when starting your service plan and explained your contract."
Me: "Well, is there any chance you can change or drop the limit? I use this is my personal and business line and frankly this could seriously screw me up. I'm gauranteed to go over minutes every month just due to that fact."
CSR2: "I can't change anything, unless you want to cancel service."
Me: "So what are you capable of? It seems that the only thing that any person in your customer service can do is take a payment or transfer you elsewhere."
CSR2: "Again, I'm sorry you're frustrated by this but there really isn't anything I can do. I don't have access to anything that could modify your account. You would have to go to the Nextel store you set your plan up with and see if they could modify your plan from there and rectify any problems."
Me: "See, I don't really believe that since all they could do was submit the information to Sprint/Nextel to set up the account. If all they do is submit it to your company for processing, I need to speak with someone -- anyone within your company that can directly access my account and change or modify records."
CSR2: "Like I said, I don't have that kind of access, but I can transfer you over to someone in accounts who can."

It is as though every employee there has the capability of running your credit card for payments, but not actually accomplishing anything beneficial to the customer; unless you would like to cancel your service, then they take $200 and turn your phone off. I check my contract and service agreement, nothing about an account limit or "spending limit" present. This other CS Manager should be able to make changes to your account and help you with your concerns.

This transfers me over to another voice-menu-select system. GREAT dry.gif

I eventually get through to someone in some other accounts, ask for a manager, hold for 5 minutes, someone picks up.

Me: "Hi, I've been transferred through about 3 departments, landing me here. Appearantly I have a "spending limit" on my account. I need it removed."
CSM: "Well we can't remove or change that because the spending limit is determined by your credit."
Me: "That's what I've heard thus far, but in actuality when I started my service there was to be no spending limit. I can't find any wording of such a thing in my service contract so where did it come from?"
CSM: "Well your service outlet should have explained to you--"
Me: "Well they didn't. All they did was swipe my card, tell me I was approved for up to 3 lines with no deposit and limitations. Why would that change now after I signed all the paperwork?"
CSM: "It looks like after they ran your credit they showed you eligible for a set spending limit which you might possibly go over--"
Me: "I was transferred to you from someone in cancellations who told me they had no access to my account and that you would be able to correct this. I need the limit higher or gone completely."
CSM: "We cannot do that. If you check back with us in about 3 months we can run your credit again and maybe approve you for a higher spending limit."
Me: "If you have the capability to make a change in three months, why can't you make it now?"
CSM: "Because it's based on your credit, I can't do anything about it."
Me: "I don't believe that. Your company has been completely unwilling to do anything about this matter in any way. Your customer service is bullshit."

There is no such thing as customer service anymore. My next phone service will be a pay by minutes plan. Nextel was wonderful for me before Sprint got involved.

boid.gif -> Sprint/Nextel

/rant
JB 914
similar thing happened to my buddy's daughter. seems when she was traveling to certain citys they considered it Roaming on some calls but not on others.

She wrote them a letter about their business practices and did a cc to the FCC.

she got a call from some big exec. with a credit to her account and an apology.

don't try and get anywhere with the CS staff. They have no authority. type a nice letter outlining your frustrations and their mis representations and send a copy to the FCC. you will get resolution. The feds just love that kinda stuff. poke.gif alfred.gif chair.gif
bondo
I hate cellphone company buyouts. I got my first cellphone from Pacific Bell Wireless, and all was grand. I was able to stop in to the store to modify my account, and when my phone started having troubles, they gave me a new one, on the spot.

Then they became Cingular... Suddenly any time I went ito the store, all I got was "Here, call this number... I can't do anything, I'm just a sales droid." When my one year contract came up, they said "you can get a free new phone every year if you extend your contract." So I extend my contract for 2 years... a year later I come back for a free new phone, and they say, "sorry, not until your contract is up". They were basically punishing me for commiting to be their customer for twice as long, and when I was making said commitment it was not mentioned that the new phone every year only applied to 1 year contracts. So when my 2 year contract was up, I got my free new phone.. from Verizon. biggrin.gif

Verizon is much better but still has its problems.
Sparky
I'm in a long drawn out fight with Cingular. Last June we bought a new house with no phone service. We were using our cells as primary phones. I contacted customer service and was told that the current phones we had (less then 3 months old) were not eligible for the rate plan that would give us the amount of minutes we needed. After 45 minutes on the phone and being transferred to 3 different managers I told them to stuff the phones, cancel my contract, and fry ice. I had been a solid faithful customer of almost 10 years at that point. I've been disputing the bill since then as it went up by $400. I pulled a cerdit report last week on myself and there is some listing from a collection company there that has Cingular listed on it. Funny in Massachusetts cell is considered a utility and shouldnt be able to be thrown on credit reports. I've given up and handed everything over to my lawyer at this point.

Mike D.
effutuo101
Pretty much cell companies can kiss my butt. I have cell service through Cingular. When I was AT&T, life was good. When it got converted to Cingular, they tried to change my plan. When GSM first came out, I got the best plan they offered. unlimited. every thing unlimited. When Cingular bought AT&T, they tried to tell me that the contract I was on was no longer valid and I had to upgrade to a different plan. Nope. we went round and round, but I still have the same contract. Part of my passive agressive protest is calling Cingular and putting them on hold. their expected wait times run between 30-40 minutes durring this season. So, I call 611 (charging them) and put it on hold as I drive somewhere. I smile when the call disconnects about an hour later. I think they have figured out that a cell phone is a need for people on the go and not a "luxury" where the Feds think it is a luxury and can tax it....interesting
Porcharu
Cancel the SOB. There is still customer service available - it's just in limbo right now. Great service is big business and big EASY money.

When customers leave and tell management "hey you suck shit and I'll never do business with you again" they actually listen (of course it's to late.)

The s_*&thole company I work for (for an hour or 2 a day {I'm in the customer support biz}) is learning this lessen very quickly right now. They are (might soon be were) a Fortune 5 company and are loosing big bucks each day because of petty crap like this. Imagine jerking around a multi-million dollar acount like this - how do you think they would feel.

Dump em and tell em why.
SharonG
QUOTE (effutuo101 @ Dec 9 2005, 07:55 PM)
Pretty much cell companies can kiss my butt. I have cell service through Cingular. When I was AT&T, life was good...

Mike and I are in the same boat - previous AT&T, now Cingular. We wanted to add another phone after it switched to Cingular (we'd just gotten new phones with AT&T maybe 4 months earlier) for one of the kids, and couldn't do it without switching out phones again. Cell companies are at the top of my "crud" list with some other "service" businesses....
Carlitos Way
They're all crooks!!!

I've been through Nextel, PacBell PCS, Cingular finger.gif finger.gif (The worst so far), Sprint, and am now with Verizon.

The only reason I'm still with Verizon is... they're the LAST ONES on the list!

GRRRRRR ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif finger.gif finger.gif finger.gif
rick 918-S
We dumped Verizon! It cost us hundreds of $$$ to get out of the contract early. But we were money ahead in 2 months. They had way too many bull$#it charges, hidden fees, etc. Our monthly plan was always hundreds of dollars over every month!

The phone I use is a company asset. My bill was over $ 800.00 last month! ohmy.gif

Man I'm glad I don't have to pay that bill!
Midtowner
I feel you pain. I run a corporate wireless program supporting 3500 users on AT&T Wireless/Cingular, Sprint/Nextel, and Verizon. The all suck. And, they are all non-regulated. As such, they can do what they want to the consumer - even bordering on illegal business practices. I highly recommend that you send a letter to the wireless executives and to your local District Attorney - Comsumer Affairs office. Best of luck. unsure.gif
pfierb
Talk about service, I'm sure you have seen the Cingular adds where they show that they have more bars ie. reception than competitors......Well I was driving through Hartford Connecticut on I91 and there is a Cingular bill board with the more bars add.....I picked up my Cingular cell phone and you guessed it....shows no bars.....no service right in front of the bill board. Some time you have to wonder how they pick people to run these companies.
rhodyguy
reason #8 why i don't have a cell phone. never will.

k
RON S.
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Dec 12 2005, 05:20 AM)

k

Same here.

43yrs old,and I've never had one.

As I drive around,can't help notice every other person with there phone glued to their ears.
Yacking away about nothing.Pumping gas,yacking away about nothing.while paying for their groceries,yacking away about nothing.Damn near killing every other parson they pass on the freeway,yacking about nothing.

Seems like every cell phone addict you ask will tell you they can't live without 'em.

Thing is people,20 years ago NO ONE had one.We all got along just fine then.No one died or grew up with a mental illness from not having a cell phone.It is just a lousy material desire.And no,the excuse that you need it for emergency's only is tired and wore-out.

Since you wanna play the game,you gotta buy a ticket.So smile when you pay your $1000.00-$1500.00 yearly membership dues.Me,I'll just take that same money and put it into my teener. biggrin.gif

Ron
Root_Werks
Ron and Kevin, couldn't have said it better myself. I have a cell, but wish I didn't. sad.gif
Bleyseng
Shit, I have two cell phones..........one from work (T mobile) and the old one (Cingular) that Monique and I share a plan that expires in 2 months.
I think I am gonna check out T Mobile as the service is way better for a personal cell phone. We need a plan that has free long distance as Monique calls all her relatives and friends on it. I have to agree that when we went from AT&T to Cingular it sucked big time...I was a longtime Cellular One-AT&T customer. dead horse.gif
TimT
Maybe it is an age thing. Im 44 and only have the cel phone since my company supplies it. Even with it being a company supplied phone and walkie talkie
(nextel) I rarely use it. I have no idea how many minutes are on l my plan etc, since I never see the bill.

Mark Henry
QUOTE (RON S. @ Dec 12 2005, 10:39 AM)
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Dec 12 2005, 05:20 AM)

k

Same here.

43yrs old,and I've never had one.

As I drive around,can't help notice every other person with there phone glued to their ears.
Yacking away about nothing.Pumping gas,yacking away about nothing.while paying for their groceries,yacking away about nothing.Damn near killing every other parson they pass on the freeway,yacking about nothing.

Seems like every cell phone addict you ask will tell you they can't live without 'em.

Thing is people,20 years ago NO ONE had one.We all got along just fine then.No one died or grew up with a mental illness from not having a cell phone.It is just a lousy material desire.And no,the excuse that you need it for emergency's only is tired and wore-out.

Since you wanna play the game,you gotta buy a ticket.So smile when you pay your $1000.00-$1500.00 yearly membership dues.Me,I'll just take that same money and put it into my teener. biggrin.gif

Ron

Same here...never had a cell phone...never paid a cell phone bill.

BTW if some of you quit your cell phone now I bet in 2-4 years you could afford that big type 4 or /6
Air_Cooled_Nut
T-Mobile user and feeling okay w/mine. No land line, the cell is my ONLY phone. It doesn't rule me...I don't answer it simply because it rings. If it's an important call then they'll leave a message wink.gif

The land line was $24/month plus this charge (like local long distance...what a crock of shit that is!) and this fee and etc. Then caller ID was extra, 3-way was extra, this was extra, that was extra, etc. whereas with the cell phone it was all standard equipment. Working as a computer contractor the cell phone was the logical, cheaper choice. Serving me well for several years now smile.gif
Jeffs9146
don't try and get anywhere with the CS staff. They have no authority. type a nice letter outlining your frustrations and their mis representations and send a copy to the FCC. you will get resolution. The feds just love that kinda stuff.

agree.gif

I worked for AT&T Wireless for many, many, many years, and then GTE and the changes in programs and policies that occur daily is mind blowing!! When I moved to "Corporate Headcorders" my office was a few doors down from the President. When a letter came to her from a customer and was copied to the FCC it was handled ASAP and usually in the favor of the customer! If the FCC receives a letter they are required to address it with the carrier and respond within a set amount of time! I saw it work daily!

I have been out of the business for a while and margins are shrinking so the only way to get anything done is if we all start bitching to the FCC and our congress men/governor. Make sure you copy them all.

Good Luck
jhadler
Well, I have T-Mobile (A.K.A. Deutsche Telekom), and really don't have too much to complain about their customer service. I switched to AT&T for a few years when I was traveling a lot for work (needed the coverage then). They were okay for the first year, but by the end their customer service was absolutely terrible. I switched back to T-Mobile and while they may not have the latest and greatest technology (usually around 6 months behind the rest), they have pretty good customer service, good reception (nothing's -great- when you live in the mountains), and the plans are pretty fair.

3 lines
2500 minutes
free nights/weekends/roaming/long distance etc.
$100

Can't really complain too much. Sure, it amounts to almost the cost of two sets of race tires a year, but all in all, it's still worth it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.