Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 LTR ROD JOURNAL OPTION
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 4 Unleashed
In, my search for an inexpensive 2.0 ltr jrl rod option, I've come across a number of rods, I decided on this one, due to time restraint, and I just got plain lazy, cause this rod, will be an easy drop in happy11.gif

Toyota 3SGTE Specs:--2.0 JRL Rod Specs:

C to C----------5.433"-----------5.160"
Pin Dia.----------.866"-------------.945"
Big End Bore--2.007"------------2.079"
" " Width--1.055"------------1.011

In my search, I've come across others doing the same thing, one person inparticular, in his rod search, came across a 2.0 ltr jrl bearing option, and that would be the Dodge Shelby Daytona bearing.

Dodge Specs:--------------2.0 LTR---------------Toyota Specs:

Jrl Dia.--------1.967"--------1.967"----------------------N/A
Rod Bore----2.0866" -----2.079"----------------------2.007"

So, what I've done and still doing, I've had the bolts fliped,( ARP bolts for these rods $40), with minor mods, I am having the Toyota rods big end resized to the Dodge specs, and the small end rebushed for .927" Chevy pins.

Type 4 Unleashed
Pic 2.
Type 4 Unleashed
Pic 3.
Aaron Cox
smilie_pokal.gif
Type 4 Unleashed
The Dodge bearing option, can be used in alot of rods, and should be considered for the 2.0 rod.

The 2.0 rod, would only have to be resized larger, only .0076", which is nothing, and then retanged, for the Dodge bearings.

It's been said that quality of the 2.0 bearing, isn't that good?

The Dodge bearing, part # CB1269 P is the Clevite 77 Tri-Metal Bearing, Clevite is a well known name, the bearings are also made by Federal Mogul and others.

I, just bought a set and they were $20.57, and thats cheaper than 2.0 bearings, and I've heard there's a shortage, of 2.0 bearings, so that means prices may rise?

So, now you have a better bearing choice, couple that with the ARP 3/8 BBC Wave Loc Bolts at around $35 for 4 rods, and you now have a very cost effective rod rebuild happy11.gif
Brad Roberts
I appreciate all your effort, but I just bought two sets of rod bearings for stock 2.0 journals: $20.48 per set. Ran me $60 or so to have them rebushed and honed for new wrist pins.

How do these *other* rods compare in weight to a stock 2.0 rod? The last thing I want to do is sling more weight around than the stock rod.

B
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Dec 9 2005, 11:15 PM)
I appreciate all your effort, but I just bought two sets of rod bearings for stock 2.0 journals: $20.48 per set. Ran me $60 or so to have them rebushed and honed for new wrist pins.

How do these *other* rods compare in weight to a stock 2.0 rod? The last thing I want to do is sling more weight around than the stock rod.

B

Hi Brad, thanks for your input.

As for the bearing prices, I just over heard a couple of places were buying up bearings, I didn't ask if they were the German made or the Brazilian made, but supply and demand do effect prices. $60 is the going rate for a stock rebuild. What rod bolts did you have installed?

As for the weight of the Toyota rods , the rod in the picture weighs 772g, the 2.0 rod weighs 800g, so 1/4 pd less, in stock form, and I am gonna try and get a 1/4 to 1/2 pd more.

What some people are doing, is running the type 1 94mm piston in the T4 cylinder, it's alot lighter, and uses a 22mm pin, and would fit the toyota rod just fine. The stock type 4 piston and pin weigh over 700g, the pin alone weighs around 170g, it's been awhile since I weighed 1, but I'am not that far off.

2 pds, could be lost off of the rotating assembly just by using the toyota rod and type 1 pistons. The rods are, .033" longer than a type 1 rod, but I don't know the CH between the 2 pistons, but the type 1 piston is for a 69mm stroke and a 5.400" rod? May or maynot be worth the hassel.

The, Toyota rods are relpacing 2.0 rods on a 75mm crank with a 105.7 bore. (2632)

The Toyota rods cost me $5 apiece at a core supply.

I'll post the total cost when their finished.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.