Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Suspensions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I am building a 6 clone. I have a 77 911 under the body front suspension with a 20 mm stab bar. I also have a 73 911 15 mm through the body stab bar. Any preference by club members?

The conversion articles I have read say I need at least a 19 mm front stab bar and no rear bar.

My question is why a 19mm bar? I am not going racing , just a weekend car. The 914-6 GT conversion parts book only shows up to 16mm available for the front and the 15mm for the rear. Did Porsche not get it right on the 6's?

I will be running 8X15 Fuchs on all 4 corners with 215R60 tires if that makes any difference.
Aaron Cox
want adjustability? then thru body...

Smart Racing, Charlie Bar, H and H, Tarett, The racers group, weltmeister etc... all make bars for thru body applications
r_towle
not sure what a stab bar is...

But, 20mm torsion bars are fine
15mm anti sway bar, through the body is the stock size (I believe)

With todays sticky racing tires...a bigger anti sway bar and bigger torsion bars can be used...back when these cars where built rubber technologie was not what it is today..

Rich
914Sixer
Stab bar is a stabilizer bar. I forgot to mention that I was using stock 911 18.8 mm front torsion bars.
r_towle
personally, I would go with the through the body bar.

There seems to be two schools of thought on front suspension tuning that I am aware of.

One, like my car, is a very very stiff front end..I have 23mm torsion and 21mm anti sway bar (through body)

then there is the original setup which is the other club, and still is valid...its stock torsion bars...which are 17mm...or slightly bigger, and the stock anti sway bar up front...this setup provides a faster turn in on sharp corners...apparently a different approach in autox.

But, if your main desire is a street car, go for the through the body bar that you have...again, its will be much easier for you to upgrade later on.

Also, you wont see it.

I have to assume that since the optional bar for the 914 in stock form was through the body, this would be the way that the factory did it o the 914/6 cars as well...

As far as the rear bar goes...it is truely a suspension dependant thing...again, in stock form with small front torsion bars, you will probably need the rear bar...

With stiffer front torsion bars, you dont want the rear bar..

Now, your in the middle with 20mm torsion bars, and the front bar you choose...

the nice thing is that you car remove the rear bar if you find it does not work for you...it bolts on/off

You will need to weld on some tabs to the bottom of the rear trunk,,,so do that before you paint...then you will have a choice...

Rich
Eric_Shea
I'm kinda in between on the "other" school.

I think you're spot on with the factory 911 T-Bars but I like a slightly larger anti-roll bar.

If'n I was you I'd go with the thru-body assembly and then look for a larger 19mm or higher ASB with adjustable capabilities if you decide you need it. The geometry is rumoured to be better with the thru-body bar. The metal is rumoured to be better in the factory bars as well but... that's all just parroting Bruce Anderson. I couldn't say for sure.

I use the 911 19mm (18.8) T-Bars and a factory 930 (one year only 1976) 18mm thru-body bar.

If I were road racing then I would stiffen it up to the max. For agressive street and autocrossing, I like to let the suspension play and work a bit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.