Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight relays
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I have a dead headlight and went and bought a new bulb but that aint the problem. Swapped in the new bulb after stripping off the heads of the screws that hold the surround. dry.gif

I see that the wiring has been cobbled together with butt splices and a new connector.

Does the relay control both the motor and the lamp? I don't think there are seperate fuses for the left and right lamp...
lapuwali
There's not one relay for lamp and motor, no. There are several relays involved. Clay made up a diagram showing how the headlamp motor/relay setup works, which is in the Classic threads section. It's not all that simple, really.

There ARE separate fuses for the left and right lamps, and in fact there are separate fuses for left and right LOW beams AND left and right HIGH beams (four fuses in all).
Allan
I looked up Clays diagram but I couldn't see where the fuses and relays are actually located.

Anybody know?
Tobra
I had to replace the dimmer relay on the fuse block, it was tied on with alittle string, looked like it was original german string biggrin.gif

There are relays for the motors, generic round ones, but that would keep the motor from popping it open. It could be fuse holder that is corroded, a relay, the switch, the plug on the back of the bulb or anywhere between. I would get a test light and see where the thing is hot and where it is not.
Dave_Darling
The relays that power the headlight motors are next to the linkage on the side of the headlight buckets. One standard round relay each.

The relay that switches between high and low beams is a rectangular one that lives on top of the fuse panel.

The fuses that power the headlights are #1 through #4 on the fuse panel.

--DD
Allan
Thanks guys. Got it working. Apparently #4 fuse handles the passenger side low beam. Cleaned up the contacts on the fuse panel and all is good. Now if I could just get rid of that oil leak. dry.gif
McMark
Check your oil leak fuse. av-943.gif
Allan
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 11 2005, 12:13 PM)
Check your oil leak fuse. av-943.gif

I think that's #12.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.