Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to install Threaded perches onto a rear shock.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
First begin by lifting car off the ground, and securing with jackstands.
with the [parking brake on, put the jack under the rear wheel you are working on....

1. undo the retaining nut, visible in the rear trunk.
2. Pull rubber mount and support and washer.
3. slowly lower jack until you are able to rotate the rear shock out toward the rear of the car.
NOTE - if you have a rear sway bar, you must undo the droplinks to allow the trailing arm to lower enough., also, if engine is in the car, you would need to pull axles, or at least pull the bottom shock mount bolt)

user posted image

4. undo lower rubber mount, simply unscrews from shaft.
user posted image

5. pull complete spring assembly and top spring hat.
user posted image
6. set ride height circlip to desired notch. in this case uppermost notch.

7. slide on threaded collar. make sure you order the right ones for your shock. use a set of vernier calipers to measure shock OD.
user posted image
slid all the way on and resting on circlip.
user posted image

8.ziptie new springs to new upper spring hat. slide onto shaft of shock.
user posted image

9. Put original washer/spacers on. then put lower rubber spring bushing back on. tighten. use allen wrench to hold shaft.
user posted image

10. tilt shock back into its opening. lift with jack, secure.

DONE
user posted image

reattach swaybar.....
sean_v8_914
why does your tire look like it's leaning out at teh top?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (sean_v8_914 @ Dec 10 2005, 08:57 PM)
why does your tire look like it's leaning out at teh top?

suspension is below full droop
McMark
Couple things. If you have stock springs you're starting with you need a spring compressor. Otherwise you'll be shooting things across the shop and breaking stuff or hurting yourself.

Also, It's easier to undo the bottom shock mount with a couple of crescent wrenches than to remove the axles.

biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 10 2005, 09:02 PM)
Couple things. If you have stock springs you're starting with you need a spring compressor. Otherwise you'll be shooting things across the shop and breaking stuff or hurting yourself.

Also, It's easier to undo the bottom shock mount with a couple of crescent wrenches than to remove the axles.

biggrin.gif

yep. motor was out.... so.. were the axles.... easier to pop of the droplinks for me...

and yes. if not using aftermarket springs, then a spring compresser would be needed.....

thanks for the addition mark.
AA
J P Stein
Golly, mine wasn't that easy. I assembeled the top differently
so the spring would hang off the top & not flop around. biggrin.gif
r_towle
tell me something about these springs please...

Right now I have 180 lbs weltmeister springs...

I have the same bilstiens...

If I was to get the threaded perches...I would need new springs...but is 180 lbs in the small diameter springs really the same as 180 lbs in the weltmeister springs???

I keep hearing 250lbs and up with the smaller springs...

It makes my teeth hurt thinking about getting stiffer springs...Just wonder if the rates are comparable...

And, what does this entire package cost???the threaded perch , and the other parts to make it work...

Rich
Aaron Cox
colemanracing.com for the perches. 25 a side.
springs... any rate (25lb increments or finer...) are available on 8" 10" or 12" springs.
available anywhere. 2.5" ID x X length....
Aaron Cox
JP... you put the washer under the hat?

ok. gotcha... disregaurd my pm then... LOL
r_towle
how did you determine the length of the springs?

Rich
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (r_towle @ Dec 10 2005, 09:56 PM)
how did you determine the length of the springs?

Rich

asked.....around.

most people use 10". it puts the collar lower, where it can be easier to adjust.
i had a killer deal on new 8"ers.... so i couldnt refuse.

do a search youll find at lesst 2 threads by me debating 8 vs 10 vs (some say 12 or 14!!!)
McMark
QUOTE (r_towle @ Dec 10 2005, 08:25 PM)
but is 180 lbs in the small diameter springs really the same as 180 lbs in the weltmeister springs???

My understanding of spring ratings is that it take 180 lbs of force to compress a 180 lbs spring. Size doesn't enter into it.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 10 2005, 10:38 PM)
QUOTE (r_towle @ Dec 10 2005, 08:25 PM)
but is 180 lbs in the small diameter springs really the same as 180 lbs in the weltmeister springs???

My understanding of spring ratings is that it take 180 lbs of force to compress a 180 lbs spring. Size doesn't enter into it.

welts are progressive.....

these are linear. progressives are also available
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.