Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A fun day of plug welding......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
Hmmmmm..........A couple of burns, lungs full of welding fumes, eyes still seeing an arc and high from burning seam sealer fumes...........what could be more fun! wacko.gif

It took 7 hours, but it's done. Hopefully it won't twist like a pretzel when I finally get to punch the 3.6!

Passengers side............
East coaster
Drivers side...........
East coaster
Firewall...................
Trekkor
Way to go clap.gif

Fun, huh? huh.gif

KT
Air_Cooled_Nut
My concerns would be rusting between the original and new metal pieces. What do you do to protect the sandwiched metal?
Katmanken
Personnaly,

I'd spray the sh*t out of it with that 95% ground zinc/5% binder spray that rustoleum sells (ZincSele?) Stuff is conductive and you can weld through it

Zinc acts as a sacrificial anode to steel and prevents rust. Zinc plated parts form a ring of melted zinc around the spotweld and protect it.

Since you are doing rosettes rather than spot welds, you prolly will get some melted zinc at the edge of the melted metal. Having a conductive layer of zinc between the layers is a good thing.

That being said, ZINC FUMES ARE POISONOUS and can cause zinc fever. Weld outside and wear a painting mask with an activated charcoal filter

Ken

sgomes
Has anyone used Bloxide? I just used it for some small stuff on the 914. Worked pretty well I just don't know about the longterm implications. It's aluminum floating in something. It's conductive so you can weld through it.
Katmanken
Never used bloxide but here is what it says..

"Bloxide - The preferred weld-through primer. This Aluminized de-oxidizing primer insures x-ray quality welds. Promotes the formation of Aluminum oxide at the weld site to reduce porosity. Prevents corrosion of coated steel surfaces for several months of outside storage. Easy brush or spray-on (no thinning required) application Bloxide Qt. (16055ZP)application. For longer-term corrosion prevention use Zinc Rich, Cold Galvanizing Compound Qt (16005ZP)."

So, for long term corrosion protection, you are back to zinc cold galvanizing (ZincSelle)

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.