Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to kill a 911!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smac
Saw this today on the 912 registry. I am glad it wasn't a 914/912 on this Top Gear episode!
icon8.gif

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=83...480500658592820
grasshopper
those fuckers!!!! pissoff.gif flipa.gif chair.gif spank.gif dead horse.gif i dont care if it is a 911...... they just fucked up a perfectly good car, because it was better than their shit!!!! finger.gif
Grngoat
That was just wrong. As much as I like that show, I don't understand their hatred of Porsches in general and 911s especially. I hate it when they do that for stupid movies or music videos or whatever. They can destroy a nice classic car because the cost is small compared to their budget. Pisses me off every time.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Grngoat @ Dec 11 2005, 03:21 PM)
I don't understand their hatred of Porsches in general and 911s especially.

this video and episode has been discussed here before (it's quite old, actually) ...

IMHO, (and this is why a lot of people have problems with british humor) they are far from hating porsches, in fact, i believe it's quite the opposite ...

the way i look at that episode, he's beating the crap out of that 911 and it still runs!
all the way to the end of the show.
that is by far the best testament to the quality and craftsmanship that went into the 911 and it seems clear throughout the video that he is very much impressed with the car ...

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
URY914
You are right Andy, try that with a Jag or an MG. sad.gif
Allan
agree.gif I saw it awhile back and thought it was a really good plug for the 911. Car took a beating and still ran like a champ...
jonwatts
It is interesting to see how little the car deforms from some of the impacts. Same as how Mueller's 964 held up to being run over by an 18-wheeler.

Though when he described the dashboard I had to re-think my Getty dash decision laugh.gif

Lou W
I love that show. driving.gif
Dave Bell
I enjoyed that... especially the piano bit... pretty impressive.....Tongue in cheek.... actually a complement to German engineering.

ChicagoChris
Just goes to show the British can really hold a grudge. You would think that the whole "war" thing would have blown over by now.

Chris
ejm
There's no engine in the car when they drop it from the crane

Somebody's getting a /6 biggrin.gif

airsix
At least they pulled the engine and tranny before doing the crane drop.
-Ben M.
Jeroen
I don't understand why people get all worked up about this (again and again and...)

First of all... those car wrecking episodes are f-ing hilarious (they did quite a few others)
av-943.gif

Second... who cares about that POS 911
Prolly was ready for the junk yard anyway

I've seen people here sawzall perfectly good rust free 914s... THAT's much worse
John
At least they pulled the engine and tranny before doing the crane drop.

They also pulled the gas tank, and probably most everything else.

It was a pre-1974 car. You would think they would have found a newer one to destroy.

Too bad they didn't show an after fire shot to show the car with the bondo burned off.

I did find it ever so slightly amusing, however I don't condone intentionally destroying perfectly good stuff.....
Dead Air
"with the engine in the wrong place" biggrin.gif

"If this car were a woman"
It'd be uma
Dead Air
I got about a minute through that, I had to shut it off! ohmy.gif
It's like a Miles link or something! barf.gif
Speedster07
That was totally koooool,
What’s the big deal there is what like a million 911 out there, who cares
Blow the dam thing up, hell do another. Do a yellow one, We all know it will blow up faster
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
I figured - well hoped - that the car was a rust bucket. When he pulled back from ramming the building, it looked like the car had a lot of rust.

Zach
Jeroen
Last weeks episode was about "Can you buy a used supercar for the price of a new Ford?"
So, they got a Ferrari, a Lambo and a Maserati for about 10K UK pounds each

Each presentor got one and first they had to change the oil and plugs themselves (that was pretty funny to start with biggrin.gif)

Then they set up for a trip through the UK, about a days worth of driving
None of the cars made it to their destination.
Halfway through, Clarkson's car (I think it was the Lambo) started to make very scary engine sounds and it finally blew to smithereens (they showed the debris)

The final conclusion to the question was...
Yes, you can, but PLEASE DON'T!!!

av-943.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Dec 12 2005, 07:30 AM)
Then they set up for a trip through the UK, about a days worth of driving
None of the cars made it to their destination.
Halfway through, Clarkson's car (I think it was the Lambo) started to make very scary engine sounds and it finally blew to smithereens (they showed the debris)

that's exactly what i'm talking about ...

they don't just stand around nice & shiny new cars and babble about how cool they are ...

they actually look at how the cars are build. the engineering that went into them. how well they hold up in everyday scenarios.
how easy is it to change spark plus in a $350,000 car? who else is gonna tell you?

i think the show is brilliant. just the way it is. "americanize" it and it'll be dead for all i care ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.