Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT cable vs DSL
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brett W
OK I am fed up with shitty dialup. I have both options available for about the same money. But I want to do away with my landline as I have no more use for it.

My figures
Cable internet 58/month w/o paying for cable TV
Cell phone 40/month normal monthly plan

DSL 43/month (same speed as cable offering) could go slower
Land line 26/month
call phone 35-40/month prepaid

Dial Up 23/month
Land line 26/month
Cell phone 35-50/mon

No I don't pay for cable now, but that may change if I have to, to get cable internet. Then the price goes up 40$.

If I have to do that then it is cheaper for me to get the DSL and pay for the extra line.

Which is the best approach?
r_towle
cable,,faster...

Cable provides telephone in some areas...

Or cell phone only with cable..

DSL ....you need to research if you will be getting in through your local switch, or if you are virtual dsl...

With cabl, its digital right to your computer...with virtual dsl, it is not...and it is slower...

Rich
TimT
cable, or FIOS if its available

DSL shares bandwidth on your phoneline

Cable hands down

Dr. Roger
i got the discounted cable internet/TV package and have unlimited time nationwide cell phone. got rid of the home phone to save a few bucks. 2 years and runnin'.

no comparison with DSL and cable. cable is way faster. ask anyone who has experienced both, like me. biggrin.gif

2 way satellite an option?? it is faster... dry.gif idea.gif
bd1308
I have installed Cable modems in many people's places...and I have one at my house.
I have also installed DSL's in many places....

Cable has more throughput, but DSL isn't a shared line. Security vs. Speed. Although pretty much all Security concerns with cable probably are gone now.

b
Dr. Roger
but when you get cable you also get a free/included firewall. = speed and security.
bd1308
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Dec 11 2005, 07:04 PM)
but when you get cable you also get a free/included firewall. = speed and security.

uh..not with my cable modem. In fact, I still don't get a (hardware)firewall with any new local cable modem installs I do for people...software maybe, but i dont do software firewalls. Oh and if anyone offers you a 2Wire branded combo DSL modem and router, laugh hysterically for a second and then (insert ninja move here). I *HATE* 2Wire anything....too many headaches if you want to do anything with it.

If you get DSL or cable, do it right...One modem, and one hardware router/firewall. Call me stupid, but i just wub.gif my WRT54G Linksys router. I don't care for the "SRX" trademarked WRT54G-X router, as the configuration utility doesn't load for anything but Windows XP but with the SRX technology, you still can benefit from a small boost in range of wireless without buying the SRX cards for the PCs....

b
Brett W
If I already have cable lines run to my house, does the cable company have to come out and hook me up. Can't I just get the "network key" and handle the rest myself?

I was planning on running a wireless modem and a router to hide my computer. Does the wireless modem have to attached to a computer or just to the wall and then let it broadcast to my laptop?

I really don't need a landline as I am never at my house.

Keep the info coming.
jd74914
I don't think the router needs to be connected to a computer because our wireless linksys one lets me onto the net wirelessly when the power is on. The other computer that it is linked to does not need to be on.
jhadler
Just my $0.02...

Not all cable systems provide a firewall...

Here in the sticks... There used to be nothing but dial-up. Then a few providers popped up, no DSL though, too far from a main switch hub. And although I would consider myself somewhat computer/network proficient, I wanted my connection to be as turn-key as possible, both for me and my wife. I wanted it to be an appliance...I went with the provider who offered managed routers and firewalls.

The local cable provider had no firewall, and didn't carry speed channel, so why would I take that? I've already got Dish Network...

Another local company offers broadband by RF. So just an antenna on the deck.

And here in the boonies, we're keeping our land-line. Why? Because when the power goes out (when, not if), I still have phone service in case of emergency. When the cell towers loose power, the cell phone is useless...

-Josh2

914GT
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Dec 11 2005, 06:26 PM)
I don't think the router needs to be connected to a computer because our wireless linksys one lets me onto the net wirelessly when the power is on. The other computer that it is linked to does not need to be on.

agree.gif The Linksys WRT54G does not need an ethernet-connected PC attached for wireless function. The Linksys has a hardware firewall that can and should be enabled. There's a firmware hack available here to increase the router's default power output. I've been running it for about a year with no problems and got a significant improvement in range.
Tom Perso
Go cable modem, get your Linksys/D-Link 4-port wired/wireless router device and add Vonage for $15 a month. We run that combo and it works great. And... if your internet ever goes down, you can get the calls forwarded to your cell phone. I love the fact I can check up who's been calling me when I'm not home and check voicemail from any intenet connection.

DSL is nice if you want to play and have port 80 open outbound for web servers, but I dink around a little and just go over a different port.

Tom
bd1308
i use port 3560 wink.gif as in porsche 356 for web on my all-purpose slim-server.

I was caught with my pants down by my cable company for having web, ftp and mail traffic in and out of my cable modem....

uhoh

I fixed it though, my mom was going nuts.....

b
Tom Perso
Funny... smile.gif

My dad had a "business" DSL connection before cable got out to their house. He had 768kbit bi-directional out of that mug. I stood up my own webserver at home and he never knew the difference. That thing would really fly.

Best part was the modem had a built in switch and it was built off of Cisco-type OS. You could admin each port and see what was going on.

Now he's just standard cable, 5mbit... dry.gif

Tom
bd1308
QUOTE (Tom Perso @ Dec 11 2005, 08:23 PM)
Funny... smile.gif

My dad had a "business" DSL connection before cable got out to their house. He had 768kbit bi-directional out of that mug. I stood up my own webserver at home and he never knew the difference. That thing would really fly.

Best part was the modem had a built in switch and it was built off of Cisco-type OS. You could admin each port and see what was going on.

Now he's just standard cable, 5mbit... dry.gif

Tom

yep. Same here.

my dad has biz dsl...runs great. no port commies either. My dad sprung for the upgrade too, so I get a nice sustained 50k up (kilo-BYTES).... Good for backups tho.

I have 3 servers now...and all of them are operational smile.gif

b
jd74914
QUOTE (914GT @ Dec 11 2005, 09:01 PM)
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Dec 11 2005, 06:26 PM)
I don't think the router needs to be connected to a computer because our wireless linksys one lets me onto the net wirelessly when the power is on. The other computer that it is linked to  does not need to be on.

agree.gif The Linksys WRT54G does not need an ethernet-connected PC attached for wireless function. The Linksys has a hardware firewall that can and should be enabled. There's a firmware hack available here to increase the router's default power output. I've been running it for about a year with no problems and got a significant improvement in range.

thats what I did. I forgot about that part. cool.gif It works much better after hacking it, faster.
Grimstead
Here’s my two cents…

For me I couldn't think of using DSL just because its soo slow compared to my cable connection. On the downside, I pay a hell-of-allot more than DSL.

Depending on what you want to do with your connection DSL will be great (and cheaper) that Cable. I like Cable because I download way more crap than I will ever get around to using (I can get a bit compulsive).

Either way you go, get a router. I would say it's a must for security & adding more computers at a later date. With my cable company they bonded my connection to the MAC address of my NIC card but most (if not all) routers will clone that address and send it out as it's own so you won't have any authentication issues changing systems around (I currently have three systems hard wired in & one WiFi connected at all times).

Hope this helps,
Bill
ws91420
I use cable and bought the Motorola Surf board wireless modem. Have 3 computers running off of it wirlessly and no problems to date. Unless the cable hiccups.
Brett W
SO how do I get around the whole:

I have cable now and it is gratis, but the cable guy is bound to come up to the house and be like "what is this" Your going to jail you lousy bum.

Go DSL?

How many of you guys have slow downs or black outs with your service?
bd1308
if you get cable modem service and you dont want cable TV, the cable operator installs a line attenuator to your link. This will in essense cut off any cable TV access you have.

If i understood your question right, this is what they should do. if you dont want cable tv, they should install that unit. Please make sure they do this to avoid legal battles, as on more than one occasion people have gotten sued over this.

b
StratPlayer
DSL here and I love it, and dsl don't share bandwidth, cable does. My download speed is 1024 dwn, upload is 934 and it stays that way. I've hosted 16 pilots online connected to me without any problems and flying missions also. I've seen guys connected to cable on a friday night and their bandwith drops to crap. They have to share bandwidth with their neighbors. No complaints about dsl. I've had dsl for almost 4 yrs now.
bd1308
QUOTE (StratPlayer @ Dec 11 2005, 08:55 PM)
dsl don't share bandwidth, cable does.

that used to be a real huge downer for cable people, but the cable companies have been getting better at putting up more "nodes" when the people using the node is more than what the node can deliver to the people.

I dont think that makes sense.

wacko.gif
Brett W
I was just talking to a friend and he was telling me sometimes on Friday and Saturday nights he gets a black out for thirty minutes. Says it has gotten better, but it may happen a couple of times a month.
Hammy
I get 300+ KB(not kb) download and 50+KB upload with SBC dsl.... Though I plan on switching to cable.
riverman
I've had both (used to have cable, now have DSL) and I've noticed no difference between the two in terms of service or performance. The reason I switched was because I got a better bundle (phone plan and internet) from the phone company than I did from the cable company (TV and internet).
anthony
Personally, I would just get whatever is cheapest in your area. I don't have cable tv (I'd rather have satellite) so Comcast was charging me $60/month for just broadband service. I switched to DSL with SBC and got the Pro plan for $26/mo. My girlfriend just signed up for the cheap SBC 1.5Mbps ($15/mo.) plan and it's been great for the money. Honestly, I hardly noticed a difference between her 1.5Mbps down and my 3Mbps down connection. Most web servers will not serve you up data anywhere near that fast anyway.

I say go with the cheapest and most reliable service you can get. In the end I'd even say that reliability is the most important thing. A service that is trouble free and that never goes down is a blessing.
bperry
There was a discussion about this last summer....
Cable vs DSL

I wrote up quite a bit about it.

I was heavily involved with the definition of DSL and its rollouts
around the world and my preference given a choice
is Cable modem service.

--- bill

bd1308
if you want a unbiased opinion, I recommend Cable.

If you want a biased opinion, I'd go with Business DSL...no port-scanning nazi's.....

b
effutuo101
Cable. I am getting rid of my hard phone line next week. I work from home quite often and have to down load/up load large files. It is great. I sit, and watch the news, talk on the VOIP line and do my work. I have had DSL, but in my opinion, it went out way to often for me. Now that the whole 911 issue has been resolved. just my .02
NoEcm
With DSL I'm getting 1536kb down and 864kb up. ~$32 per month.

It used to be one of the DSL advantages was the ability to purchase static IP addresses. Not sure if cable offers a static IP address or not.

Also, on cable can you still put a promiscuous NIC on the network and sniff packets on your segment?
JB 914
had cable for almost 7 years. only gone down 2-3 times and not for very long. speed is awesome.
MecGen

[/I have cable now and it is gratis]

I hear ya bro, I desided to unhook all previous connections, and buy a bundle, phone, basic cable, cable internet. 64$ Can/per month.
I have a Digital Satellite System now... ph34r.gif

Later

beer.gif
tat2dphreak
I liked DSL when I had it, it was faster than cable here... but I got it for Free, too... now I have FiOS... makes DSL and Cable look like 56k...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.