Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ebay non-running 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten

Ok, so there was this car on Ebay, and last week, I see it. Here is the link. It is local to me, so I contact the buyer and he tells me on the phone that he would let it go for $500, and shut down the auction. It is for a non-running 914, what looks to me like a parts car, he tells me on the phone it has rust in the rear trunk, floor boards, etc. I really only wanted it for the nice console, and a/c unit. So, I tell him, I will buy it and want to come see it. But, that night, there was freezing rain, and I am prevented from going to see the car. So the next morning, the car is at $1,200 and, of course the guy wants to ride the auction out. So I am happy with that, no biggie, I decide not to buy the car. For me to buy a non-running 914, it has to be less than $1k.

Well, today, the aucton closed. And it closed way high, $3500 for a non-running 914. WTF.gif

Is there something magical about this car that I am missing here? Why is this car worth so much? Is it the "barn find" appearance that makes people want a car more?
gregrobbins
Time, place, desire, available funds. Who knows why it ended at that level. Add up the cost of parts alone and you may have your answer. I just saw a set of 2.0L heads offered for $400, and they needed to be refurbished. 2.0L crank can fetch $100. Also the availability of cars in an area can be a factor. Maybe there aren't too many 914s available in Texas right now.

I offered a solid car, with a running motor for $1500 on this site and got no takers, sold it on the Samba. Guess I should have listed it on eBay. rolleyes.gif
JeffBowlsby
Thats insane.... unsure.gif
boxstr
The bidding history is a bit dubious. I would be suprised if the auction actually comes to fruition.
I have 6 $3550 rust wrecks at CAMP 914.
CCLINEBAYORMYWAY
Dead Air
WTF.gif
The Fuchs are missing!!
What's that scank on the front fenders?
It's a TWO Owner car!
Check the 33 bids
McGregor and Nichols got into a bidding war!
confused24.gif
thomasotten
QUOTE (boxstr @ Dec 11 2005, 09:38 PM)
I have 6 $3550 rust wrecks at CAMP 914.

I'll photoshop you in a nice "barn" scenery for a background, and then they will all be "barn finds", and you will get $3500 each.
jonwatts
QUOTE (boxstr @ Dec 11 2005, 09:38 PM)
I would be suprised if the auction actually comes to fruition.

agree.gif I wouldn't be at all surprised if it showed up on ebay again.

After all, aren't all 914 people deadbeats?

:ducking:
boxstr
Okay which would I buy, $3550 on ebay or $300 on mylist http://www.craigslist.org/sby/car/117500228.html
You decide.
CCLIN$300
SLITS
QUOTE (boxstr @ Dec 11 2005, 11:19 PM)
Okay which would I buy, $3550 on ebay or $300 on mylist http://www.craigslist.org/sby/car/117500228.html
You decide.
CCLIN$300

I think you should buy the $3500 lol2.gif chairfall.gif barf.gif lol2.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (thomasotten @ Dec 12 2005, 12:18 AM)
Is there something magical about this car that I am missing here? Why is this car worth so much? Is it the "barn find" appearance that makes people want a car more?

The magic lies in the auction itself.

Well, that and the lister totally mis-represented the car.

If he told you there was a lot of rust to fix in the floors, etc. then he was keeping it a secret form the rest of Ebay. He made no mention of it in the Ebay listing. Infact, he said that the interior was very good.

No pics were taken the show rust - only bad paint.

A bidding war started as two folks, who are probably not very faimiliar with the pit falls of the 914, assumed it was rust free, and then got taken up in a bidding war.

As they say, its all over now 'cept the crying.

Zach
sk8kat1
wow who ever won this one will soon feel very much like a skinny white boy in prison

sheeplove.gif owned.gif av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.