Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hydraulic valves
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
So, what is the positive and negative regarding hydraulic valves.??

Rich
bd1308
popcorn[1].gif
Bleyseng
+'s- you don't have to adjust them as often

-'s- less hp and rev's due to cam profile, tend to blow up, bleed down and not pump up, etc
dry.gif
Jake Raby
search, search, search.... I have written literally pages here, on my forum and on Pelican about them.

I quit using them in the mid 90s for a VAST number of reasons which will all be easily spelled out if you do those searches....

john rogers
My daughter's nearly stock 74 2L had them (Web Cam setup) and ran fine for nearly 8 years before a rod broke and finally took out the engine. The block had been modified to get more oil to the lifters so they would pump up as they should but we found that when the car was not driven nearly everyday they would slowly bleed down. This caused some rattles when first starting after sitting for a week or so. I found that the rocker cover gaskets needed replacememnt periodically so we had the covers off about every 18 months or so anyways.
Katmanken
Gottem in my VW Vanagon

Pros- less adjustment

Cons- They can bleed down and knock for awhile. Clean Synthetic seems to solve most of this issue. I agree with Jake, with valves you adjust, you keep track of the health of your engine (via the valve gap) and keep it at the optimum setting. With hydros, you have less idea if a valve is stretching because ya just don't need to get in there as often. On top of that, it will "run" with the valves misadjusted. Oh yeah, did I add they quit lifting at 5k rpm?

Ken
r_towle
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Dec 12 2005, 11:29 AM)
search, search, search.... I have written literally pages here, on my forum and on Pelican about them.

I quit using them in the mid 90s for a VAST number of reasons which will all be easily spelled out if you do those searches....

I did search...I will search some more..and on both PP and STF...

I am really looking for the details to make a decision...I will probably stick with non-hydraulic...but I was just wondering...if they suck, then they suck..

Rich
Jake Raby
Less adjustmanet IS NOT a pro- its a con.

The valve adjustment period is just as crucial to your engine as a yearly check up the Doctor. Those valve can tell you the entire recent history of the engine and what its future looks like. They can tell youi if the engine has been running hot, or if you have a seat dropping.

Its not a "Valve adjustment" its a valve train inspection and you better be damn glad that you get the oppourtunity to do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.