Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory Service Manual
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
I found something interesting. Among the things that came with my car was a CD that contains the entire factory service manual on PDF. Anyone use these things? I have the manual for my 240Z but it is almost worthless with lousy pics and difficult language. Is the Porsche one easier to use? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Rob
Cap'n Krusty
The factory service manual assumes some basic Porsche related mechanical knowledge. It isn't a step-by-step "how to" book. Good, though ... The Cap'n.
VaccaRabite
Would you be willing to share said manual?

I have been wanting to get my hands on a copy, but don't have a couple hundred dollars to pay for an original binder, and also don't have anyway to read the microfilm copy.

Zach
Mueller
I got one sent to me from mueba.gif a few years ago.....no idea who it was, just a mueba.gif for the return addy smile.gif

ConeDodger
So then, Mr. Mueller, Do you use it? Is it fairly straight forward? The Clymer and Haynes manuals while better than nothing have always been a little vague for my taste...

Rob
McMark
I've been reading those manuals for years and every time I do I learn some other amazing nuance that is detailed in there. For example, do you know the exact measurement for the gap between the wiper arms at rest? wink.gif Yes, there is a precise measurement for that.
ConeDodger
Hey Mark, How is life in the valley? I almost stopped by the other day but I was with co-workers and didn't know if you guys would be in or busy... Well of course your busy... it is a business after all!
Thanks for the information. That is exactly the information I was looking for. Leave it to Porsche to have an exact measurement in the manual! So I would assume that torque specs are in it as well?

Rob
Dave_Darling
The Haynes manual has about 85% of the info from the factory one. Identical words, identical pictures. Laid out somewhat differently (not nearly so much wasted space per page!) but it's there. The list of torque specs in Haynes appears to be identical or very nearly so to the lists from the factory manual.

Which is to say, the factory manual kinda sucks. It is far from the best workshop manual I've ever seen--but it is the "last word".

If you dislike Haynes, you'll dislike the factory manual.

--DD
Mueller
QUOTE (Rotten Robby @ Dec 12 2005, 11:41 AM)
So then, Mr. Mueller, Do you use it? Is it fairly straight forward? The Clymer and Haynes manuals while better than nothing have always been a little vague for my taste...

Rob

I've used the color wiring diagrams before.....2 versions of the PDF CD's, one with an index, one without I believe....
McMark
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Dec 12 2005, 01:52 PM)
The Haynes manual has about 85% of the info from the factory one.

I think more like 70-75% of the total information. There's a lot of "useless" information in there that nerds like me live for. But 85% of the important information is in the Haynes.
type47
i found this interesting site:

http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/Porsch...nuals/index.htm

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.