Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey Bill - just saw 76
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KenH
Bill,

Just saw 76 up on the rack at Jerry Woods getting its new engine.

Glad to see are still using JWE.

Looks like you will be ready for Laguna on the 15th.

I am not going to make it - put the car into the tire wall with Trackmasters on the 30th and will not get it repaired in time.

Ken
DanT
Sorry to hear about your shunt Ken.
Give us some details....how bad, did you get hurt?

Too bad you won't be at Laguna...looks like it should be good.
Merry Christmas and see you next season...
KenH
Somebody went on the right side of the T4 inside berm. Came out across the track leaving dirt & rocks across the entire track. As you know you cannot see this till you turn in to T4. No control when up on the dirt - got turned around and luckily "backed" into the inside tire wall pretty hard - tire marks well across the rear deck lid. I was OK because of the direct rear hit - not sure what would have happened if I would have hit front on.

Ken
KenH
PS - NO FLAGS Even cars behind me saw no FLAGS.

Ken
DanT
Ouch! Hopefully the car isn't too bad. Glad you are OK.
That is one of the problems when running with some groups. They either don't care about the flagging by turn workers, or don't monitor it closely enough to know what is going on during their events.
Unlike with GGR where we control the entire ontrack experience from grid back to the Paddock. I always knew where flags were being waved and why. If they did not throw flags I would tell them to do so.
Oh well... dry.gif
nine14cats
Hi Ken,

Glad to hear you're okay but sorry about the car. sad.gif T4 always makes me wonder because of the dirt all around it, and you're on the gas through there.... blink.gif

Did your car sustain cosmetic damage or did you tweak the tub? Is Morspeed doing the work?

The number 76 car comes home tomorrow night and gets the 628 decals of the Pickerings. That and a few clean up items and we're off to the track. It should be interesting since I've never driven the car before except on and off the trailer. And I will be tire testing the Goodyear "hard" compounds that are being mandated by PRC for the GTL class. All in all, I'm going to be slow and deliberate. I need to get a feel for the new baby.

It will be nice to get out with you folks again. I've missed it.

Bill P.
KenH
I have the car at home. Busted both Tail light lens. Just checked alighnment yesterday and it was OK so I think the tub is OK. Now on jack stands for further inspection. I think things will be OK but need to be sure.

As far as the flags - my first thought was "where was the car that left the dirt" he was not in sight which means there was enough time to get T4 flags if not T3 flags out.

Ken
DanT
That sucks Ken. Turn workers must have been snoozing. Plenty of time to get flags out at 3 and 4 if the offender was already gone.
Rule is: Flag the incident immediately...communicate to race control when you have time after flags are out.
I don't know who is providing the corner workers at Laguna now that Joanne is no longer in control of the track or workers.

Come on Bill, you should be in the 1:48s easy on Thursday! wink.gif You at least have to be bit faster with the big motor and tires.... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Seriously, You'll be fine. We will take it nice and easy so you can work your way up...once you get used to the big slicks it will be great. They will take some time to heat up with the cold weather and the hard compound.
Trekkor
I was running there the same day Ken went off.

I was just a few seconds behind actually, so the turn workers still hadn't even started waving yet mad.gif

I went right through the same dirt.
I saw Ken up against the wall. It really freaked me out.

Glad you are OK Ken.
We looked over the car in the paddock and it seems fine to the eye.

The next day while raining, another car went off in exactly the same spot...also backwards into the tires. A GT3, I think.

KT
DanT
Turn 4 and turn 6 at Laguna have historically been very tough on Porsches.
At GGR time trials we, in past years, totaled at least one car at each of those corners per year.
I personally pulled at least 3 different cars off the inside tirewall at turn 4 and several others off the inside and outside of turn 6, in past years.
Both of those turns are very high speed with unforgiving run offs.

Sounds to me like the turn workers for 3 and 4 were on a "blue room" break.
Some one really blew it on the turn worker assignments it would seem.

This is not an accident free sport we enjoy, unfortunately.

Hopefully Ken's car will be an easy fixup.

smile.gif
Trekkor
Hopefully Ken's car will be an easy fixup.

I think it will be. Buff off the tire marks and replace the lenses.

Could have been way worse.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.