Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front end question.......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
I have an '85 Carrera front end and my original '74 914 front end with only 40K miles on it, both are in very good condition.

I was planning on installing the complete Carrera front end, but I know some folks think the alum X-member is junk and not many seem to like the under mount sway bar. So, now I'm thinking of taking the best parts of both. I'm thinking steel x-member and the rest Carrera parts and then maybe Tarret sway bar. That way I keep the 911 torsion bars.

Any suggestions on the best combo of parts and what needs to be swapped to make them work??????????

Oh yeah.......the goal is a killer street car, not a track car.
SLITS
My opinion only........

Bolt the '85 front end in complete....

So you can't adjust the sway bar...big ass deal, but then I guess there are those that would stop on the road and adjust their bar for better handling. dry.gif

If you stress the alum crossbar sufficiently on the street to cause a problem, you'll probably be in jail for quite an extended stay.
Aaron Cox
i have a steel x member, and a tarett bar with a 73 911 front end.....

id use the AL, if it was good enough for the 911's and turbos.... it mustr be ok on a 914?

youll like the tarett bar biggrin.gif
Jeffs9146
If you decide to get a different front end I will take the 85! cool_shades.gif

IronHillRestorations
If you don't want to use the aluminum crossmember, I'll buy it. I've got a lightweight project I'm building. PM me. I'll trade you a 914 Umbrella cover!
East coaster
Perry, If I go that route, I'll trade 'ya. I do want one of your covers for when/if my car ever sees the road.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (East coaster @ Dec 12 2005, 08:07 PM)
Perry, If I go that route, I'll trade 'ya. I do want one of your covers for when/if my car ever sees the road.

Deal! smile.gif pending anyway biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.