Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - What is a mint condition Delorean Worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
soloracer
A friend of mine who owns a body shop mentioned to me the other day that he knew a guy with an 82 Delorean that he was looking to sell. Naturally I asked him how much and he said he would look into it. He called to tell me that the asking price is $30K canadian to which I told him I thought they were going for far less than that. He said that this car was parked back in 1982 and has an original 113 KM!!!! ohmy.gif It was driven from the dealer to a warehouse and that is where it sits today. So what is something like this worth?
ArtechnikA
depends.

check the trunk for white powder...
J P Stein
Being a cynic, one of my favorite lines about "classic" cars is:
"It was a piece of shit when it was new and it's a piece of shit now....only older." I'm sure *someome* is gaga about Delorens.....I just don't know who. biggrin.gif

Free might be a good price.....if it runs.
DanT
If you plan on driving it you will pay a premium for the low miles. Once you drive it you will lose the premium you paid.
I'd say a mint Delorean should be worth no more than 15K (Canadian) no matter the condition and miles. 30K Only to another collector that wants to let it sit in a plastic bubble for another 23 years.

IMHO huh.gif
Jenny
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Dec 12 2005, 03:45 PM)
I'm sure *someome* is gaga about Delorens.....I just don't know who. biggrin.gif

Any boy that is around my age and grew up with Back to the Future would want to own a Delorean and install a flux capacitor.

user posted image

Jen
fiid
The sad tale of John DeLorean

John DeLorean has died at the age of 80. He was not involved in Formula 1 but played an important role in destroying the Lotus brand, taking the gloss off what had been a stellar name in the 1960s and 1970s.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns14460.html

I just read something else that said that Delorean was originally trying to get Porsche to develop the car but the link didn't load properly.

They're probably quite good cars but with lots of quality problems. I believe that Lotus tried to make it mid engined, but DeLorean wouldn't allow that to happen. No idea what it's worth. If it's been sitting for ~20 years I would think it would have a lot of issues with seals and rubber breakdown and the like.

Hammy
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Dec 12 2005, 04:42 PM)
depends.

check the trunk for white powder...

laugh.gif chairfall.gif
lapuwali
The only prices I've heard were $8-10K in drivable condition. Any car that's been sitting for 20 years doesn't qualify as "drivable" without a LOT of inspection and no doubt a fair amount of repair, so $30K Canadian is most certainly way out of line.
fiid
There is an exceedingly excellent and much more informative article about the DeLorean at WikiPedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Lorean_DMC-12
SLITS
About three ounces of nose candy at today's prices
jd74914
Everyone forgets about the good stuff DeLorean did dry.gif

Like the GTO smilie_pokal.gif
davep
Something like my friend's Bricklin, never licenced for the street. Worth only about $25000. NOT a good investment on his part.
fiid
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Dec 12 2005, 04:42 PM)

Didn't mean to bash on the guy; no judgement here. Just interesting history.

There's a pretty good read on the man behind the machine on wikipedia too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_De_Lorean

Sounds like a fascinating character.
bd1308
I personally would love a DeLorean....

I've been looking for a while for one, found this link.

okay well I don't have the link....

but there are places here that will take a car and build them up for around $22K...

I really like the styling of the DeLorean....regardless of the fact that they are rare.

b
Cap'n Krusty
This week in autoweek. How timely!

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=103700

I think $15K USD for a "runner" is about what the market will bear.
Remember, the PRV engine is a wimpy and troublesome one, with a known sludging problem that requires MAJOR disassembly on a fairly frequent basis. Oil changes, as mentioned in the article, are cheap.

The Cap'n

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (davep @ Dec 12 2005, 04:44 PM)
Something like my friend's Bricklin, never licenced for the street. Worth only about $25000. NOT a good investment on his part.

Saw a Bricklin this weekend. First one in years, if not decades. The usual fugly orange color. The Cap'n
jd74914
QUOTE (fiid @ Dec 12 2005, 07:45 PM)
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Dec 12 2005, 04:42 PM)

Didn't mean to bash on the guy; no judgement here. Just interesting history.

There's a pretty good read on the man behind the machine on wikipedia too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_De_Lorean

Sounds like a fascinating character.

Fiid wavey.gif I wasn't referring to you. I just meant most people in general. He was pretty weird and had a huge ego, but I don't think most know of the other stuff he did cool.gif

In my age group (18 or so), noone really knows who the greats are. I don't think really any know of Lee Iaccoca either.
Always Looking
How's the paint? biggrin.gif
ken914
I have a friend who bought a Delorean because he grew up wanting one. Finally, he could aford it and found a great car. Paid a lot of money. After a week with the car he anounced that it sucked and hoped he could find a sucker like he was.

Bottom line, it was NOT a good car. Chassis flex, poor fit and finish, reliability problems, poor handling, under powered, etc., etc., etc.

I would just skip it all together.
smooth_eddy
Bottom line, it was NOT a good car. Chassis flex, poor fit and finish, reliability problems, poor handling, under powered, etc., etc., etc.

Hmmmm, some say the same about the 914 unsure.gif
jimtab
The Delorean as it was designed was a good car, but after cheapening the chassis and engine, oh and the tranny in order to cheapen it enough to sell....for a while....it was pretty much a turd...a corvette for the "big ford drivers"...I had a friend who's father bought one and in less than a month it was on the market. John(friend) and I both drove it and you'd be FAR better off with a 914 1.7. My .02
jd74914
don't the early ones not have openable side windows? screwy.gif
GWN7
Results from BJ auctions

1207 1981 DELOREAN GULLWING COUPE SOLD 18,360
2005-BJCCA
202 1982 DELOREAN SOLD 12,960
2004-BJCCA
• 46 1982 DELOREAN GULLWING COUPE SOLD 14,580
2004-BJCCA
• 421 1981 DELOREAN GULLWING COUPE SOLD 18,576
2003-PBCCA
• 67 1983 DELOREAN GULLWING COUPE SOLD 29,160
2003-BJCCA
• 621 1981 DELOREAN GULLWING COUPE SOLD 25,920
2003-BJCCA
• 610 1981 DELOREAN GULLWING COUPE SOLD 29,160
2002-BJCCA
• 214 1982 DELOREAN GULLWING COUPE HIGH BID 10,500
2001-PMCCA
• 500 1981 DELOREAN GULLWING HIGH BID 12,500
2001-BJCCA
• 1038 1981 DELOREAN DMC12 GULLWING SOLD 18,020
2000-BJCCA
• 196 1981 DELOREAN COUPE SOLD 8,586
2000-BJCCA
• 1072 1981 DELOREAN GULLWING COUPE HIGH BID 6,500
1999-BJCCA
• 445 1981 DELOREAN EXPERIMENTAL PROTOTYPE HIGH BID 14,000
1998-BJCCA
149 1981 DELOREAN GULLWING COUPE SOLD 9,713
1998-BJCCA
• 175 1981 DELOREAN GULLWING SOLD 12,600
1998-BJCCA
764 1981 DELOREAN PRE-PRODUCTION GULLWING CPE SOLD 20,000
1996-BJCCA
435 1981 DELOREAN SOLD 11,760
1995-WCCAL
187 1981 DELOREAN GULLWING SOLD 11,550
1995-BJCCA
474 1981 DELOREAN GULLWING
1994-BJCCA
753 1981 DELOREAN GULLWING COUPE SOLD
1994-BJCCA
112 1983 DELOREAN 2 DR
1993-BJCCA
959 1981 DELOREAN CPE
1993-BJCCA
405 1982 DELOREAN DMC-1 COUPE SOLD
1993-BJCCA
146 1981 DELOREAN GULLWING CPE SOLD
1991-BJCCA
178 1982 DELOREAN SPORT HIGH BID
1990-BJCCA
408 1981 DELOREAN SOLD
1988-BJCCA
Lou W
jd74914 Posted on Dec 12 2005, 08:16 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
don't the early ones not have openable side windows?  

Yes, the side windows were fixed, there was a smaller window that was about one foot long and about six inches high that you could open.

jonwatts
I have a mental list of cars that I would really like to own one day.

And below that list is another list of honarable mentions that will always at least get a head turn from me. The Delorean is on the second list, along with a Ferrari or two.

rhodyguy
what sort of fit and finish would you expect from a work force fueled by guiness, whiskey, and hard cider? smile.gif

k
zymurgist
Is the Mr. Fusion in working order?
zymurgist
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Dec 13 2005, 12:04 PM)
what sort of fit and finish would you expect from a work force fueled by guiness, whiskey, and hard cider? smile.gif

k

Sounds kind of like my garage, actually. Mmmmm, Guinness.
gfulcher
There is an smallish article in Autoweek from either this week or last on the Delorean.. It's the issue with the Lotus Elise & Exige on the cover...

-greg-
serge914
QUOTE (fiid @ Dec 12 2005, 04:00 PM)
I believe that Lotus tried to make it mid engined, but DeLorean wouldn't allow that to happen.

I was pretty sure it was mid-engined. wacko.gif
Dead Air
My estranged wife hung with a guy that owned either two or three of them in central NY. Later while he and his wife were getting a divorce the cars became the basis of a "custody" court battle that was so ugly it made it into the local paper. screwy.gif
RON S.
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 12 2005, 04:56 PM)
This week in autoweek. How timely!

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=103700

I think $15K USD for a "runner" is about what the market will bear.
Remember, the PRV engine is a wimpy and troublesome one, with a known sludging problem that requires MAJOR disassembly on a fairly frequent basis. Oil changes, as mentioned in the article, are cheap.

The Cap'n

I also saw that Autoweek article.

To add,Hemmings usually has several listed every month,and they almost always average 12-15-18k US dollars,depending on condition.

Ron
r_towle
I had a customer store on in my barn.
As a result, I got to move and park it.

There is ZERO rearward visibility...but I could live with that.

The motor (I did look inot buying it) well the motor need to be maintained, very well...

There are issues with the valve train, and timing gear/chain setup///

Otherwise, the motor will last if you take care of it.

If I could afford it, I would buy one...

There are a few must do items...the front suspension needs updating...there is a fix...

If you are serious, go look for he delorean owners club online...its just like here....all the fixes and info are on that site....

The only serious issue that I see it body work. If you get hit, you need a new panel. period.

There is a supply of them being made, but who knows for how long..

Rich
Brett W
When I was out in Durango there was a couple of guys that were doing Northstar conversions. I want to say American Race Engineering, but I can't find the website.
IronHillRestorations
Not that it matters, I seem to remember the DeLorean had 14" wheels in front and 15"s in the rear. Odd.
Lou W
serge914 Posted on Dec 13 2005, 07:40 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe that Lotus tried to make it mid engined, but DeLorean wouldn't allow that to happen.  

I was pretty sure it was mid-engined.  

Yes, it was.

When my friend bought his, I think it was 1982, the dealer marked it up to $32,000.00 ouch ohmy.gif
bondo
QUOTE (9146986 @ Dec 14 2005, 12:31 PM)
Not that it matters, I seem to remember the DeLorean had 14" wheels in front and 15"s in the rear. Odd.

I don't know any details on diameter, but I do know this:

If you get a flat on a rear tire, you can put on the spare on, but the flat wheel is too wide to fit in the trunk. They made a special rack to carry the flat on the outside. smile.gif
bondo
QUOTE (Lou W @ Dec 14 2005, 12:45 PM)
serge914 Posted on Dec 13 2005, 07:40 PM

I was pretty sure it was mid-engined.  

Yes, it was.

When my friend bought his, I think it was 1982, the dealer marked it up to $32,000.00 ouch ohmy.gif

Looks rear engined to me:
Lou W
huh.gif Rear engine, mid engine it's all the same. biggrin.gif
bondo
QUOTE (Lou W @ Dec 14 2005, 01:08 PM)
huh.gif Rear engine, mid engine it's all the same. biggrin.gif

Augh! Bite your tongue! laugh.gif
jd74914
Nice plate on that car laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.