Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gas heater in 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmenche914
Did the 914 ever have a gas heater option, or aftermarket? If so what type, and where is it installed? Have friend tht wants to add heat to a modified 914 with no provision for heat exchangers (Big motor)

thanks
bd1308
if it's something with hoses that need to go to the front trunk, I've always wanted to see someone fit a heater core in the aresh-air system....I think that would be neat. If heater cores don't rust I'd put mine right below the cowl.

b
nine14cats
I remember several years ago that someone said Otto's in Venice used to put gas heaters in some of their 914-6 conversions that had headers.

Bill P.
GeorgeRud
There was a picture of a gas heater fitted into the front trunk of a 914 - I believe it is an aftermarket unit.

I purchased an army surplus gas fired heater on EBay a while back, and am trying to fit it into the front trunk much like the Volkswagen units had in the 60s and 70s. I hope the hot air tubes can be snaked to the original hot air intake plenums, so I can keep the original controls on the dash. If it works out, I'll try to send pictures. It seems like the most cost effective system to add heat to a conversion car with headers.
SirAndy
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Dec 12 2005, 05:36 PM)
Did the 914 ever have a gas heater option, or aftermarket?

if you mean gas as in gasoline, yes, they were an option.

i believe they were (modified) Ebersbächer (or was it Webasto?) units (same as used in the VW busses) mounted in the front trunk ...

i have some pictures etc. at home, can post later ...
cool.gif Andy
Mikey914
Gass heaters are quite common in general aviation aircraft. The do represent an additional maintence expnese, and possibility of CO poisning is not adjusted correctly. The heater tubes in aircraft have 1200-2000 hour lifetime with inspections every 300-500 hours (most are annual). So, If you can utilize some type of ellectrical alternative, it may be easier (and safer) in the long run.
-Mark
lapuwali
Rummage through the Samba and look for gas heaters there. Lots on offer, mostly for the Type 2 and Type 3 crowd. I'd think the way to go here would be either make a new fresh air box out of Al sheet and fit it there, or fit it in the engine bay below the shelf and duct it into the stock heater ducts. Ready access to the fuel supply in either location.

Nice units are not cheap. Around $250-350, as I recall. Most of them are Eberspachers, but a Webasto shows up from time to time.
reverie
I wouldn't get an old gas heater, or even a refurbished one. I'd get a new one. Eberspacher still makes gas heaters of various capacities, mostly for RV applications and such, and I think they have a network of North American vendors.

How cold does it get where he lives in Cali?.. would a sweatshirt be a better option?
GeorgeRud
Webasto also makes a heater for trucks and industrial equipment, trade named BlueFlame I believe. When I called the local distributor, I found out that they are ~$2000 with controls (airplane ones are also in that range).

Every once in a while, the Volkswagen ones are available on EBay, but they're getting pretty old. Good point on the CO risk though. May be worth adding a CO monitor as well. 911s had CO problems with their first style of heat exchangers, caused a federal recall I believe.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Dec 12 2005, 04:38 PM)
if it's something with hoses that need to go to the front trunk, I've always wanted to see someone fit a heater core in the aresh-air system....I think that would be neat. If heater cores don't rust I'd put mine right below the cowl.

b

Since heater cores are made of brass, lead solder, aluminum, and plastic, I doubt rust would be one of the big worries ......... The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 12 2005, 05:56 PM)
i have some pictures etc. at home, can post later ...

ahhhhh, turns out i never downloaded them from the site where they were hosted, which is now down ... headbang.gif

bowlsby to the rescue!!! (i know you made copies of those pictures! biggrin.gif )

here's the old thread (with the broken pictures):
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...t=ST&f=2&t=8825

rolleyes.gif Andy
bd1308
this one?

it was on Bowlsby's site....

b
IronHillRestorations
I've got a Webasto that's virtually new. I've been holding out for the right project, which has yet to come up. I'm really interested in the installation though.
gfulcher
Rich Towle and I were just talking about this over the weekend.. While the BN4 gas heater roared away in my '73 Thing.

I'm telling you guys - these heaters crank, provided they are in top shape. Spare no expense and get one that is sorted out and has all of it's various safety functions in check.

There is a guy in NJ that sells new and/or refurb units - even has a fancy electronic timer available for them. His name is Ark Mirvis, aka The Heaterman. Anyhow - Ark knows his stuff, and is somewhat legendary in the Thing community. I'd recommend his heaters over any others. I have one, as do a number of friends.

Heaterman's Website

If the BN4 can heat up a Thing, with it's vinyl top and windows, no insulation and plenty of gaps in the body, it could certainly serve up a hot supper in a 914. There is a much smaller version though, the BN4, which would probably be a much better fit in the 914. The BN4 is quite large - hence why it kicks ass.

-greg-
Gary
I have one of the southwind dealer-installed aftermarket heaters in my bug. Rebuilt by Ark several years ago. As I recall, it was a $300+ rebuild then, but being warm in the cold of winter is awfully nice.

Have one of these bought secondhand in a box: Espar D1LC. It's planned to go in the 914. It's about the size of a small loaf of bread. I'd like to take it out of its plastic case and stick it in the front airbox. If not, maybe to one side of the tranny out back. Should rock.
SirAndy
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Dec 12 2005, 07:59 PM)
this one?
it was on Bowlsby's site....

yes, this one. there were 3 pictures total ...

wink.gif Andy
gfulcher
Sent Ark an email last night, possibly alerting him of a few inquiries from the 914 gang: his reponse:

[snip] "I do have for sale complete NOS BN2 heaters, which came recently from dealership in Frankfurt, Germany.

Members of your club do have a rarest, maybe once in life opportunity to buy an absolutely new heater. Let them know.

These will not be long on my shelf! " [snip]

So there's that! My buddy Kevin has a new BN2 in his Ghia - and it's freakin' sweet... you know, for a heater...

-greg-
don9146
QUOTE (Gary @ Dec 13 2005, 12:27 AM)
I have one of the southwind dealer-installed aftermarket heaters in my bug. Rebuilt by Ark several years ago. As I recall, it was a $300+ rebuild then, but being warm in the cold of winter is awfully nice.

Have one of these bought secondhand in a box: Espar D1LC. It's planned to go in the 914. It's about the size of a small loaf of bread. I'd like to take it out of its plastic case and stick it in the front airbox. If not, maybe to one side of the tranny out back. Should rock.

Is that heater diesel only?
Gary
Nope. They make both "petrol" and diesel versions.
Mueller
here is an interesting link for the gas heaters used on the Type IIIs.....

I'm sure some of it can apply to our 914s

gas heater manuals
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.