Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn Relay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tobra
Did a search, but the answers are not really jibing with the manual. I can hear the thing clicking under the dash, but no beep beep. Is the horn relay one of the black round ones on the Fuse Block? What else is on this relay? I hate to drop the cash for a round relay just to fix the horn, can the round relays be repaired?
Cap'n Krusty
If the relay clicks, it's probably good. It's on the fuse panel. The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
Check the colors of the wires going to each of the round relays that live on top of the fuse panel. One of them will be the horn relay (unless your car is one of the very early ones without a relay--or did I misinterpret the wiring diagram?). You can swap any of those round relays for any other; they are identical on the 914. Try swapping with one of the headlight motor relays--if the headlight doesn't raise and lower any more, you know the relay is bad.

You can probably fix some bad relays--you can pull the plastic off and see the guts when they get old enough and the glue holding them together gets worn. (Or is it a friction fit?) It's just an electromagnet and a couple of contacts that are spring-loaded. Let me find my pics...

Relay exterior:
user posted image

Relay bottom, showing connections:
user posted image

Relay guts, from the side:
user posted image

Relay wiring diagram:
user posted image

Relay guts, better view:
user posted image

Relay guts, from spring end:
user posted image

If you can hear the relay click, it almost certainly is not bad. I'd check the wiring to pin #30 of the relay, and the wiring from #87 on the relay to the horn. And the ground for the horn, of course.

--DD
Tobra
Fuses are all good, I bet it is the ground for the horn, Mr Darling, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
Chris Pincetich
I am reading with great interest and hoping you can update us all with the final word on fixing the horn! biggrin.gif Mine is not working and I have been considering purchasing another horn, but first I want to do all the troubleshooting possible...great tips from Dave!!
beerchug.gif
sixerdon
I've had trouble with horns before. In my case it was the horn. I direct wired to a battery to check. It didn't go off. So I took it apart and cleaned all the contacts. Corrosion was the cause. Most of the horns I've seen are riveted. Apparently the early ones are not so it made my job easier.
Like anything else on these cars some components need exercising. Drive down a country road and blast away occasionally.
Don
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.