Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear window seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
I have to redo my rear window. The seal at the bottom broke so I have to redo it.
Everything is apart and cleaned. The 3m tape i used 2 years ago, came off very easy. I figured it would of set better than it did. Window popped out np, and tape was very gooey.
Are there alternatives to that 1/4" butyl tape? Or should I go with that again? Maybe have an autoglass place do it???

Any thoughts???

Thanks
Jeffs9146
I did the auto glass route and asked them to put the windshield glue on the bottom high enough so the water wouldn't sit between the rubber seal and the seam of the window. That area is known to leak so I wouldn't use the tape again!

Jeff
tod914
Im kind leaning towards that Jeff. What type of adhesive did they use? I assume it was from hot glue gun of some sort?
Dave_Darling
The original butyl tape on my car held for about 30 years the first time around. I figure in another ~25 years it will be time to replace the new butyl tape again...

--DD
rhodyguy
i'm dirk wrighting the rear window today. replacing the pad that houses the 2 rear top clips. 1/4" butyl.

kevin
TheCabinetmaker
You can purchase a tube of Urethane sealant from your local auto glass shop and DIY.
boxstr
Personally I have used a product from GOOP it is an Automotive sealer, comes in a tube, and by following the instructions you can reseal your rear window without having to remove the existing butyl tape.
I first remove the interior pieces and then remove the rear window. Clean the surface on your car and the surface on the rear window that are to mated together. A razor blade and lacquer thinner for the glass and car are good. Do not use to much. Let dry.
One thing I have found to be very helpful in holding the glass in place are adjustable dusters. They are adjustable , you set one end against the glass and the other on the front dash area. I included a pic. You leave these in place for 24 hours and the glass is in place to stay.
Then just reinstall the interior and you are on your way.
CCLINGLASSHOUSETOWN
rhodyguy
one thing about the butyl i bought. the edges have a radious. gives that same curved reveal as stock with no tooling/trimming needed on the engine side. screw that junk pad and those nightmare screws. more as i go.

kevin
"have utility knife, will travel"
Jeffs9146
Im kind leaning towards that Jeff. What type of adhesive did they use? I assume it was from hot glue gun of some sort?

It is the same stuff they used to glue in my Jeep Grand Cherokee windshild. I can only assume it was hot when it was applied!

Jeff
boxstr
One thing Kevin needs to look for a swap meets are better screw hole plugs.
CCLINTRIMSVILLE
tryan
i used marine goop to reinstall a rear glass in a drop top saab. still holding after a couple years. that was a pain in the butt.
Lawrence
I installed my rear glass using the butyl strip method. Worked okay for me, but keeping even pressure on the glass was a PITA. A piece of plywood and some 2x4s helped, but I had to be gentle.

Next time, I'll use that "glass primer" stuff that the windshield guys use.

-Rusty smoke.gif
tod914
when i took the window out yesterday, it pulled out very easily. It was a 100 degree day. The butyl was like bubble gum. Im really not keen on using it again.
It was easy to clean off, which was good. But, I think it should of set better than it did. I think on monday I will take it to an auto glass shop. I was quoted 50-100. I really dont want to redo this window in another year or two.
Lawrence
Take time while the window is out, and clean up the seal channel. Use a bit of sandpaper and touch-up paint and fix any bits of rust you might find.

-Rusty smoke.gif
rhodyguy
you should not have to. but when you do you want it to be simple. if you need a wire to cut the bond, fishing one thru and working it around it would be less than fun. my roll of 3m cost me $15. will they pull everything or do you? if you do, you've done 75% of the work. $50 to $100 for a squirt of goop and a window set, is rather steep. i love a 100% price swing in a quote. "how much for an engine?" "5 to 10 grand". that tells me they've never done one.

kevin
Lawrence
You're right Kevin. (golf)

-Rusty smoke.gif
tod914
The guy hasnt seen the car. He gave me a "estimate" over the phone. Im sure it won't be more than $50.00.
He said they would clean and prep both the glass and sill. He said they have specific chemicals for that to achieve better bonding. Everything is out. I also cleaned my carpets. They look like new. I put them in the tub with hot water and oxy scrub. That product worked great. The carpets had all this red dust imbedded in them from being a Texas car. Now they look just like the areas that were hidden from exposure (under the inner threshold trim). Im still toying around with the idea of 3m. I will have to ponder over that during the weekend.

you guys seem 50/50 on butyl v urethane

any1 have a two headed coin i can flip?
seanery
before you put that window in, think about a removable rear window.
Kinda like the Del Sol had. Actually more like the early 70's vettes had.

could be cool and the sound could be glorious!
airsix
QUOTE(seanery @ Aug 22 2003, 09:57 AM)
before you put that window in, think about a removable rear window.
Kinda like the Del Sol had. Actually more like the early 70's vettes had.

could be cool and the sound could be glorious!

del Sol's and vettes don't have an engine right behind the window. After a short trip you will be deaf and unless you don't have any oil leaks you'll have a nice new 20w-50 hair treatment.

-Ben M.
seanery
still, it could be fun!
Dave_Darling
It isn't. Trust me on that... Well, I take it back. It was fun for about 10 minutes. Then it got really old. That's when I decided that I didn't really have to paint any of the channel around the window, just clean it the rest of the way up.

I used some towels between the seat backs and the window to hold the window in overnight. I cleaned the window itself with a razor blade, then Windex, then acetone. Similar treatment for the channel in the body, though I may have used different chemicals. I let the window sit out in the sun for a while, and hit the body (and then the butyl tape once it was in the channel) with heat from a hair dryer. Kept heating the edges of the window when I put it in as well.

No problem as yet with the window, and (before I parked the car) it held up to some ferocious heat...

--DD
rhodyguy
well here's where planing counts. did you expose bare metal on the flange while cleaning? oh yes, the primer and color match paint wall is next.

kevin
tod914
I was real carefull when cleaning. As a matter of fact, spent the better part of the day detailing the floor pans and everything else I will never see once it's back together. blink.gif Found a local glass shop that still has butyl tape. I will talk to him on monday. The shop owner was saying they are no longer allowed to use butyl tape due to saftey concerns. But, it shouldnt be too difficult to get him to do it. Last time I didnt heat the windshield like Dave did. Maybe that was part of the reason why the seam broke loose on the bottom.
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
I went to a car glass installer and asked if they could sell me some butyl tape and they just gave me a roll of it. So I guess I'll give it a try. Won't cost anything but a few hours work.
Cheers, Elliot
rhodyguy
and you're $50 to $100 to the good. don't forget to start at the top.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.