Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Audi R10 LMP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
maf914
Audi has replaced the R8 with the R10. The engine is a turbocharged 5.5 liter V12 diesel. The aero treatment looks pretty interesting. It's probably going to make life tough for the competition, just like the R8 did. Sebring anyone? biggrin.gif

Check out the official release at:

http://www.audi.com/
DNHunt
That is really cool.I wonder how much of a learning curve there will be. I see broken gear boxes, and broken parts all over the track. we'll see

Dave
Katmanken
Diesel's come on to full power (torque) pretty quick and at lower rpm's.. It would take some definite thought to transmit that power to the wheels. Kinda like coupling a porsche engine at the the peak of the power curve (screaming) to the wheels. Possibly an automatic tranny that allows slippage to counter the rapid torque.

Ken
seanery
how do Newton Meters compare to Foot Pounds?

1100 Newton Meters of torque = XXXX ft/lbs?
maf914
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Dec 13 2005, 07:34 AM)
I see broken gear boxes, and broken parts all over the track.

There is a private British team, Taurus Racing, who ran a Catepillar turbo diesel powered Lola B2K/10 at Le Mans in 2004. They couldn't make the clutch and gearbox live. Just too much torque. And not enough money. They took this year off, but have announced they will try again at Sebring 2006 with their modified car.

Audi won't have the budget or resource issues. They will probably steam roll everyone.

By the way, I think the Le Mans regulations prohibit automatic transmissions. Drivers must shift, but they can use paddle shifters so there are probably plenty of electronic safeguards available.
maf914
The following photos are from www.dailysportscar.net.
maf914
aa
maf914
bb
maf914
Lola Diesel
maf914
cc
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE (seanery @ Dec 13 2005, 07:51 AM)
how do Newton Meters compare to Foot Pounds?

1100 Newton Meters of torque = XXXX ft/lbs?

1100 Nm x 0.7372881 = 811 lb-ft of torque

An astounding number for a race car...

pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.