Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone else get mad at Craigslist?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
terrymason
So I normally search craigslist looking for a 914 to buy, and there is never anything listed in my area.

At least once a week I go there, type in "914" and get 4 pages of results. I am overwhelmed with excitement before I realize that it's defaulted once again to san francisco...

Stupid California Craigslist.
96conv
Nope, not mad at craigslist for that since I live in the SF Bay Area. What does piss me off is that 50% of the stuff in those 4 pages of hits have nothing whatsoever to do with the Porsche 914.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (terrymason @ Dec 13 2005, 09:18 AM)
So I normally search craigslist looking for a 914 to buy, and there is never anything listed in my area.

At least once a week I go there, type in "914" and get 4 pages of results. I am overwhelmed with excitement before I realize that it's defaulted once again to san francisco...

Stupid California Craigslist.

Why don't you just ask for your money back? The Cap'n, a stupid Californian
SirAndy
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 13 2005, 11:04 AM)
Why don't you just ask for your money back?

av-943.gif yeah, hard to bitch about a free service .... like that non-existing car club i know ...
lapuwali
Craigslist started here (in the SF Bay Area) and is still based here, and the largest body of listings is still here, so no, I'm not surprised it's mostly SF oriented.

My biggest beef with Craigslist (the community, not the company itself) is that far too many sellers never respond to email queries. You frequently get listings where some moron failed to supply their own email address, and failed to use the anonymous email system, and failed to include a phone number, leaving no way to contact them. Many of those that do use the anonymous system never respond, probably because the queries end up in their bulk or spam email boxes.

fiid
Craigslist has aliases for each area.

What you should do is instead of going to

http://www.craigslist.org

Go here instead (I'm assuming richmond is your closest:)

http://richmond.craigslist.org

If you bookmark this then you can get to the right place easily every time.

Andyrew
I think it should have a search for all of craigslist instead of just by location...

Pretty gay if you ask me.

Main reason I dont use craigslist.
terrymason
I know there's nothing wrong with craigslist, I'm just venting about my own incompetence.

It stinks to get all excited like that, then have the let down. It's even worse to see that I do it weekly
dmenche914
four pages of 914's, never seen that???? Maybe if I search all for sale items, and things like phone numbers contain 914 in them. Try a narrow search in the cars for sale section. (you may however miss 914 parts, books and such) But you will have a shorter list to sort thru.
fiid
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Dec 13 2005, 10:37 AM)
I think it should have a search for all of craigslist instead of just by location...

Main reason I dont use craigslist.

I'd email craig about it if I were you. He's a really cool guy - I've met him at a couple of parties and exchanged a few emails with him over the years. He's usually sympathetic to user's needs etc.

Be aware though - you might be hitting against a case where your needs aren't the needs of most of the people who use the system. Craigslist is supposed to be a local thing, like newspaper classifieds. If you need to buy a couch from within a 10 mile radius - that's the goal, not buying an exotic from europe and importing it.

As for it being gay you'd probably want these sections:

http://www.craigslist.com/w4w/
http://www.craigslist.com/m4m/

The rest of it is rather agnostic to orientation, religion, race and just about everything else.

DISCLOSURE: I bought my 914 on craigslist, and sold my Subaru 2.5RS, and several couches.

lapuwali
Craigslist = local is pretty much the philosophy as I understand it. It's great if you want to find a car you can drive by and see, but not so great if you're trying to find something really obscure you'll probably need to buy long distance. Ebay is really what serves that market, or searching on club lists for that particular car.

I've found quite a few jobs through Craigslist, hired a handful of people through Craigslist, and bought and sold more cars than I can remember (more than 10), including my current 914.

Sometimes, people will cross post cars across regions. I've seen plenty of LA cars advertised in the SF section.

Craigslist is also NOT really car oriented. It's a very small bunch of people (like under 30 total), and many of them would likely be happier if the entire world rode bicycles or took the bus. This IS San Francisco we're talking about here.

You can use the RSS features of the site, btw, if you can configure an RSS reader. This will allow you to have "canned" searches, even searches across several regions, and have them displayed for you automatically. Google RSS if none of this makes any sense to you, then look at the RSS link in the lower right corner of every search results page.
Allan
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Dec 13 2005, 10:37 AM)

Well it is based out of SF...
Dr. Roger
what you should really do is send a personal "thank you" to craig for everything he has done for all of us.

I
found a "for sale by owner" condo for last girl friend on CL.
found my Tacoma 4X4 on CL
found my 914 on CL
found my engine and components on Reno CL
found my last share rental before i bought my home on CL
sold my Mercedes on CL
found a Honda VF110S on CL
Sold a Honda VF1100s on CL
found many parts for my Burning Man art vechicles on CL.

and partied with Craig at his film bebut in San Fran. X2 plus Indie Film Fests.

The only improvement I can see is to have a multi city search. smilie_pokal.gif
Jenny
QUOTE (fiid @ Dec 13 2005, 01:57 PM)
DISCLOSURE: I bought my 914 on craigslist, and sold my Subaru 2.5RS, and several couches.

Craigslist has been good to me...

Beagle from Berkeley
Leather couch from SF
loveseat, single seat, armoir, and two coffee tables from San Jose
Bitch for Snoopy in Campbell
Harley from SF
Yamaha from Emeryville
Suzuki from I don't remember
Subie WRX from Berkeley
4Runner from Orland

Plus the best of section is a hoot!

Jen

smontanaro
QUOTE (fiid @ Dec 13 2005, 12:32 PM)
Go here instead (I'm assuming richmond is your closest:)

http://richmond.craigslist.org

I'm not much of a Craig's Lister, so I tried it (chicago.craigslist.org in my case). Worked fine. A search for 914 turned up these babies:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/pts/110473346.html

Cheers,

Skip
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.