Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need to install new windshield in my car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve
Do you guy's know of a good shop in Orange County to install a used winshield?

thanks,

Steve
McMark
Do you already have the old one out? Installing them is laughably easy. Takes about 10 minutes. Removing is the PITA.
Steve
The windshield is still in the car.
I bought the kit from AA to replace it.
If its that easy than maybe I will tackle it this weekend.

thanks for the response!!

Steve
McMark
Well, if you don't mind making a mess:

1. Cover the front end of the car with a soft shop blanket (not your grandmothers quilt). Taping it in place is a good idea.
2. Take off the windshield trim. Search here for how to do it. There is a hook type tool you can buy that will help with this. Go slow with this step if you're planning on reusing the trim. It's aluminum and bends really easy and is hard to straighten.
3. Do whatever you can to remove the old window. They have tools for cutting the seals that you can get. Or just beat it out. Wear tight fitting safety goggles (no open sides) and wear leather gloves and long sleeves. This is the end of the hard part.
4. Once the window is out, clean clean clean the seat that the window will be glued to. Clean off all the old sealant, clean off the old dirt, clean off your fingerprint oils.
5. This is where it gets easy. Get some 3M Window Weld from Napa or any other 3M distributor and carefully attach it to the body. It's sticky sticky stuff and you really only get one chance. Bare or latex glove hands are best.
6. Have a friend help you place the glass into place. You really only get one shot at this as well. Make sure the glass doesn't bump up against any of the plastic clips (oh yeah, get new plastic clips). If the glass is against any plastic clips it will be a real challenge to get the trim clipped in place.
7. Push the window firmly into place and reattach the trim. biggrin.gif
8. :beer:
Tobra
I am putting in a new windshield when I have the car painted and am seriously considering paying for the front windshield removal and replacement. There are enough chips in the windshield that it would not survive removal and replacement, IMHO. Rear window looks pretty straightforward to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.