Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: VW TDI a decent swap into my Volvo?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I know a turbo 4 banger for my 242 would be the most practical, but I like the ideas of modern diesel...anyone?
horizontally-opposed
Swapaholic... biggrin.gif
McMark
Me icon12.gif TDI. wub.gif
GeorgeRud
How about a Chevy V8 instead?
jasons
My buddy had a 240 wagon he put a Ford 5.0 with a T5 trans in. It was a great car for hauling and towing.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jasons @ Dec 13 2005, 12:44 PM)
My buddy had a 240 wagon he put a Ford 5.0 with a T5 trans in. It was a great car for hauling and towing.

a fjord smile.gif

mike, just do a simple volvo turbo 4..... 740/940 series....
cha914
Probably going to have to ask some of the euro guys...i know in germany I saw a bunch of TDI's with red badging on the rear of the car and was told by the locals that the red badges were the "hotter" versions that you could get from the dealer. So I imagine there is a large tuner crowd over there for the TDI's...

good luck driving.gif
sportlicherFahrer
Those diesels have quite a bit of tuning potential. My dad has an '04 TDI and it hauls ass and it is stock. Slap a slightly larger turbo on it, some exh. mods, a chip, and maybe an intake and those things start pushing some incredible power! I guess they are pretty good on the Euro circuits for racing, but those guys have big plumes of black smoke behind them. biggrin.gif

I wonder why nobody has done a swap into a 914 yet. ph34r.gif

The new ones are also pretty quiet compared to older diesels.
Katmanken
Getcher self a Mercedes diesel...

Then you could drive a Mervo

Or perhaps a Volvodes happy11.gif

A late 90's with a turbo and chip.... Vrooommmmm

Ken
djm914-6
I love my Passat. Up to 40mph it would keep up with my VR6-GTi. European Car magazine (or was that VW-Porsche then?) did a mild upgrade to the 97 Passat TDI. It looked like a pretty hot set up.
Eric Taylor
Awesome engine, my mom has one in her 02 jetta and it rocks! Plenty of power and 45-50 mpg. I reccomend it for sure!
Eric
r_towle
they have managed to get 40 mpg out of the new audi A8 (according to a british real life car show...they drove till it almost ran out...40 mpg)

I would say go for it...I love the idea..

Rich
fiid
See other thread about Audi Diesels biggrin.gif
kobas
I'm co-driver for RallyVW, we've got a hod rodded Golf TDI rally car. www.rallyvw.com

www.tdiclub.com has lots of info on chipping, bigger injectors, bigger turbos, front mounted intercoolers, nitrous, propane, you name it.

My daily driver is a 2000 Golf TDI with bigger fuel injectors and Rocketchip 3 (www.rocketchip.com). This gives something like 140 hp and 250 ft lb. Lots of fun!

I would really like a TDI in my 914, seems like a lot of work though.

jd74914
QUOTE (kobas @ Dec 13 2005, 08:31 PM)
I would really like a TDI in my 914, seems like a lot of work though.

I'd be a tranny killer wink.gif
dion9146
Love the idea. My daily driver is an 06 Jetta TDI, and I am in love with this car. German engineering, quick, and I can never remember which side the gas cap is on because I'm 3-4 weeks in between fuel stops. I've been averaging 45-46 mpg combined highway/city and we drove it to Cocoa Beach, Florida from Medina, Ohio in October on less than 2 tanks of fuel (and those are 14 gallon tanks).

Back when I used to autocross, a guy would bring an older Jetta TDI and spank some of the 'faster' cars. It used to piss them off that a lowely little diesel could smoke them so bad. owned.gif

I think Audi is on to something....

Dion
bernbomb914
how about a MB 230 Kompressor?
jonwatts
I hate to encourage you, but I like it and think it makes perfect sense. Hell you could pull the 914 on a trailer with it driving.gif
spare time toys
I loved my TDI Jetta sad.gif It was an 02 and I ran 700 miles to a tank and that was around town back and forth to work. We had to trade it to get the Caddy for Barbs work because a Suburban aint worth shit for trade. Im looking at getting the 06, 2 door golf with TDI because they are suposed to have them in April. Check TDIClub.com lots of hop up potential.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.