Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a way to glue a sparkplug in.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bleyseng
The Westy puked a plug and I tried JB Weld to hold it in but that didn't work....Just need to drive it back to the shop across the lake of course dry.gif

PO had stripped the plug and I knew it wasnt the best, got new heads and all ready to go in.

Any ideas???? WTF.gif
john rogers
Try a spark plug insert, they look similar to a helicoil or other thread insert.
bondo
Leave that plug out, ground the plug wire, and disconnect the power to that cylinder's injector.. then just run it on three! biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bondo @ Dec 13 2005, 05:52 PM)
Leave that plug out, ground the plug wire, and disconnect the power to that cylinder's injector.. then just run it on three! biggrin.gif

a wsty is gutles on 4..

3 would be way painful!
bondo
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 13 2005, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Dec 13 2005, 05:52 PM)

a wsty is gutles on 4..

3 would be way painful!

Well it doesn't matter much, as they don't float.. It'll sink before he even gets halfway across the lake. laugh.gif
r_towle
QUOTE (bondo @ Dec 13 2005, 07:52 PM)

I would agree...

Or , cross thread a lug bolt in there for the ride.

Rich
Bleyseng
No way will it make it up the hills around here!!! This isn't the Mid West its Seattle-Bellevue and the damn thing is stuck out in Issaquah at the HomeDepot.
r_towle
either a plug insert,or, you could make a bracket that has three holes in it...

The middle hole goes over the plug.
The other two holes could be used to screw right into the now scrap head to hold the plug down...

I did this with an oil plug on a generator...it works...

I would say that, or even PVC to hold it down...it only has to last 20 min...and it has only 100 psi....

Go back into home depot with a plug...find a pipe that will fit over it, some rope, some duct tape...a coat hanger,,,and some jb weld...

Just strap it in.

BTW, It will make it with three, it just will be slow...but it will make it.

Rich
Bleyseng
Yeah, I might drive it all the way around the lake or have it towed.
IronHillRestorations
I'd go with the plug insert. You've got to tap the spark plug hole. You put grease on the cutters to catch the metal shavings. Then you thread the insert and smack it with the tool to lock it in place. Works pretty good and should hold for a long time. Stay away from Champion spark plugs, and always put a wee bit of anti seize on the spark plug threads. Jake says milk of magnesia works good for this too.
914werke
Have Blair push av-943.gif
dmenche914
Run on three. My Dad drove the family home from Oregon many many years ago, on three when a cylinder died in his 50 hp Microbus. Part way back the second cylinder died, limped home on two. I recently drove my bug home with one plug pooped out, noisey, but it works.

Jake Raby
Sounds like you have a cracked head... Cracked heads can't hold a spark plug in them when the engine heats up and the head expands...

If JB Weld won't hold it pretty much nothing will... don't use JB KWIK- its not real and not worth a damn. Old school JB weld in the red and black package is the real stuff and it will hold most anything if it cures for 24 hours...

Running on 3 cylinders taxes the entire engine and will generally cause more issues and wear more parts.
Bleyseng
shit, I used the JB Kwik so I'll try the real stuff
Jake Raby
Thats why it didn't hold...

JB Kwik is a sorry product.... The real shit rocks!
Joe Ricard
Hmm guess I can go home now... I lernt sumpin else today and it's not even 6:30

JB weld does rock. didn't know about the quick stuff.

Used to be some stuff called FASWELD comes in a 2 part putty. won't work for this situation.
DNHunt
Tow it.

Your time is worth more than the tow bill.

Dave
Dr. Roger
JB probably didn't hold due to no threads to grab on to. IMHO.

the real stuff will take the heat for a little while.. but exhaust temps??? yikes.

if you really dont care about the head, just go down to your local parts house and get a spark plug that has threads one size larger and cross thread that puppy in. create your own new threads... laugh.gif

american or foreign.. theyll all work. just needs to be a larger diameter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.