Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kind of OT: Doom and Gloom
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
Have any of you seen this?

Peak Oil

I read the site and found it somewhat disturbing!! Do you guys think this guy is nuts? I didnt thins the sandbox would be an appropriate place for this post, and Im not asking political opinions..

anyway

lets hear what ya think

lapuwali
There's been a lot of publicity over this kind of thing recently. My ultra-cynical side wants to cite an article that predicted we were going to run out of oil very soon due to the extreme rise in consumption...published in National Geographic in 1912...

One of the assumptions made in most of the "peak oil" studies is no new extraction technologies will be developed. There's actually a LOT of oil left in the continental US, but it's hard to get out, and simply not economic to do so until oil prices go a lot higher. There's a tremendous amount of oil in Alberta that's only now getting tapped, thanks to new extraction technologies (some numbers show the fields in Canada are as much as 60-70% of the size of the ones in Saudi Arabia). The Saudi oil fields have good oil that's cheap to extract.

There's also something of an incentive for oil companies to continue to push the idea of scarcity, to prop up prices, rather like DeBeers and diamonds.

I don't think there's an infinite supply of oil, but I've also seen estimates of how much remains differ by factors of 100, which makes me question all of the estimates.
r_towle
I think that raising the price of oil in the US is gona be the only way that people take conservation and the greenhouse effect seriously.

I lived in germany in 98-2000.

I had two cars, but commuted via the train.

We need better public transportation...

I have used BART in northern cal, but the door to door part is not there...

In germany, I could take a train to within thre blocks of anywhere in a major metro.

In the US, if they drop you 10 miles away, your supposed to be ok with that...

Public trans need more investment and it wont get that till either the gov. puts in the money or the user/consurmer demands it...

higher oil prices will increase innovation and increase pressure to fix the problem, not hide the problem.

Rich
scotty b
If you look enough you can find enough "evidence" to support any argument. I have also heard from major sources, that scientists are now finding that old oil wells that were tapped out are actually starting to "refill" with seepage from below them. I'll keep on driving and building my cars until it runs out, then I'll build some huge lazy suzans for the cars to rotate on in my garage wacko.gif It's doomday kid, it's doomsday. FREAKOUT!!! ohmy.gif :
Howard
Around the turn of the 20th century, New York city was becoming uninhabitable due to the 150,000 horses needed there for commerce. Each produced 24 pounds of manure and a gallon of urine per day. Hundreds died each day and added to the mess.

The stink was overwhelming and diseases were rampant. There was talk of abandoning the residential part of the city. Fortunately, technology came to the rescue with electric street cars and automobiles.

Moral: I've read about this horseshit before. We will find a way to go on.

PS. No, I didn't witness this firsthand dead horse.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (Howard @ Dec 13 2005, 06:32 PM)
PS. No, I didn't witness this firsthand dead horse.gif

'Cause you were out west selling insurance against bullet holes.
TimT
What I didnt see is this guys axe to grind with anyone.. no finger pointing

It common knowledge that alternate sources of oil are available. Oil shales, and oil sands. They cost so much more to reap the same return

Same for the biodiesel movement, and yet I fill my truck with Bio everytime I can

Here in the NYC area we have Robery Moses to blame for a suck ass mass transit system. I can use mass transit to get ot where I work, but it takes me twice as long compared to when I drive, and I have that 3-4 mile walk still to get to my work site..

Im just interested in how insightful these seers, or naysayers observations are.. We use more oil than ever and there is of it available than when we started to use oil..

and yet I have 2 racecars LOL they get about 5-8 mpg, our 935 gets 2-3mpg LOL

GWN7
There is estimated 1.7 trillion barrels of oil in the Athabasca tar sands....as much as there is in all the middle east
Lou W
What a load of stromberg.gif

I wonder how long before some group tries to ban autoracing for wasting our precious resources wacko.gif
bd1308
my most favorite line of ALL TIME:

"Life will find a way..."

b
thomasotten
Reminds me of the opeining of the movie "The Road Warrior". BTW, Mad Max 1 is the best out of that series.

Lou W
thomasotten Posted on Dec 13 2005, 11:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminds me of the opeining of the movie "The Road Warrior". BTW, Mad Max 1 is the best out of that series.

agree.gif Love that movie popcorn[1].gif
JB 914
The only problem in the US is we do not have enough refining capacity to keep up with demand.

For further information you can see your ECON 101 books and reference the chapter on "Supply/Demand"

Lou W
PKRMONY Posted on Dec 14 2005, 12:02 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only problem in the US is we do not have enough refining capacity to keep up with demand.

For further information you can see your ECON 101 books and reference the chapter on "Supply/Demand"

I agree, no new plants in over 25 years. huh.gif
rpmmaxxed

You beat me to it. This guy is just crossing his fingers that he has the oppourtunity to live out Mel Gibson's role in that awesome flick...

Motor on
thomasotten
I can't say that 914's would do well in a post-apocyliptic world ala Mad Max. BTW, did you know that people build replicas of that car..."last of the V8 Interceptors"

Mad Max Fan Cars

user posted image
cooltimes
QUOTE(TimT @ Dec 13 2005, 08:01 PM) *

Have any of you seen this?

Peak Oil

I read the site and found it somewhat disturbing!! Do you guys think this guy is nuts? I didnt thins the sandbox would be an appropriate place for this post, and Im not asking political opinions..

anyway

lets hear what ya think

Someone wrote a book and what better time to promote it than now. That is what I see. Did you follow the list down and see all those books being touted too? Reminds me of the John Birch Society back in the 60's and 70's and their America is doomed unless you affiate yourselves with their political book selling ways. What a bunch of junk.
This book subject: Some facts for sure but just how much of his theory is not. We have lost control of oil supply no matter which facts are true or false. When the dummies of the world make waste thru technology their chief object rather than use our technologies to make a better world for all.
Atomic energy risk is better than seeing a world starving but the free and biggest sources, the sun, winds and all the oceans can be channeled into real energy for millions of years to keep mankind free of the empires that control supply and demands and their ever increasing king's ransoms to really go nowhere.
Dang, did I write all that. Yep. Did.
MikeCool
Rick_Eberle
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Dec 14 2005, 04:56 PM) *

Why was the US version dubbed??? We're not that hard to understand, are we???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.